With NHLers out of Olympics, how many players from your AHL team might be tapped?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The NHL has announced they won't be participating in 2018 Olympics.

Hockey Canada and USA Hockey have not yet announced "plan B" as to where they'll be getting players to fill rosters for the games.

It might be your AHL team.

How many American, Canadian (and Swedish, Finish, Russian, etc.) players might be heading to South Korea in February?

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Pros should not be in the Olympics period IMHO. They all for the most part outside of niche sports have pro careers.

Now that this has happened I think this is a permanent change. I also think other sports will follow. These guys make too much now and could get hurt "playing for another team" that if I'm an owner/GM I don't want them playing.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Not unless the AHL team loans them to a national team. Same goes for ECHL players. Players under contract can't just up and leave to play for their national teams.

True and the AHL team cannot loan players under NHL contract unless the NHL team agrees to the loan.

I think that there will a lot of the players on AHL contracts will go to the games if their AHL team allows it, similar to the World Cup.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
IIHF and the various country hockey federations need to announce what the "plan B" is WRT filling rosters.

Until that happens, it's just speculation.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
NHL clubs frequently allow their younger players to play in junior championships in December and the world championships instead of shipping them to the AHL playoffs in May. I could see a few deciding a couple weeks at the Olympics was more beneficial for development than missing a couple weeks of AHL play in February.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Lots of questions about what NHL will allow. May be a few weeks before we know how they'll handle things.

It MAY be that all players under NHL contracts are not eligible to participate. In that case, the IIHF may make ineligible any NHL-contracted player on roster.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
No pros should be allowed period!

If they don't I feel owners/GM's of pro teams should be required to then suspend the players when they get back the number of games they miss and fine.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
This could empty the AHL of europeans on 2-way contracts.
They would already make more in Europe, and now theyd get to play in the Olympics too. Changes are many depth/bubble players will play the season in Europe instead..

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Which makes sense. I don't understand why those type of guys even play in the A to be honest.

Maybe if you followed hockey, you'd understand.

Guys from Europe under NHL contract are encouraged to play here to learn the NA game and rink. Nevermind that it gives them a shot to join the NHL club at any time if that's their goal. Pretty simple.

Last edited:

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Maybe if you followed hockey, you'd understand.

Guys from Europe under NHL contract are encouraged to play here to learn the NA game and rink. Nevermind that it gives them a shot to join the NHL club at any time if that's their goal. Pretty simple.

Was talking about more of the middle aged guys you see in these leagues, the veteran types. They can make more and do more overseas.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00