With Hank pulling a Messier '93, does he get his Cup?

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
Stop trying to relate '94 to today. Everyone. There are zero common factors between that team and today's team. This is so dumb and it's getting way too old.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
All I can say is this; Henrik is much more important to this franchise than Tortorella was. That must have made the decision very easy on Sather. If Lundqvist says the difference between staying and going was Tortorella, he's gone the next day.

Baumer582

Sep 20, 2008
Still, Francis goal or not, Messier was a disaster that series. Turnover after turnover, no look drop passes, lazt backchecking.

Messier and Leetch were both terrible that series. That series, the only guys who showed up were bottom line guys like Broten, King, Nemchinov.

No argument there, but that series was lost in Game 4 when Richter let that goal in. Series could have been 3-1, and the Pens were skating in a daze without Lemieux. That was that epic wondergoal the Pens needed.

But yes, Messier and Leetch were surprisingly bad that 2nd round. I think they made up for it in '94 though :)

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
Well, 94 had Richter who = Lundqvist, but Messier > Stepan, Leetch >>> McDonagh/Staal. I don't think our team can compare to the 94 team.

Craig McT, Kevin Lowe, Anderson, Graves, Book

That team was stacked with the right balance of talent and experience

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
If Lundqvist says the difference between staying and going was Tortorella, he's gone the next day.

Pretty much, and this team is pretty tight. If Henke has strong enough feelings to make them heard the guys must be talking.

It's hockey coaches run their course

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
The Larmer trade changed the season around. They were going nowhere before that trade.

Nowhere? That's going a bit too far. Patrick and Turcotte should have been traded way before that, others were surpassing them. Larmer was a great get that year, no doubt, changed the season, well, there were bigger trades to follow that ultimately put us where we wanted to be.

But this thread was started by dagoon, notorious Hank hater, so I really question whether he cares about the question more than the implication here.

NHRangerfan

The rangers overachieved under Roger Neilson in the early 90's but the team was divided with the James Patrick , Darren Turcottes of the world backing captain video and the proven winners going to the g.m. Asking for a new coach that plays offense first.. Neil smith went to messier and he asked for a new coach and he got it, the following season messier goes nuts and wins a cup..Could it happen again with Hank with a clear head

Big difference Messier's team quit on the coach...Hanks team made the playoffs and won a round

NHRangerfan

Messier stunk from the Pens series throughout the 1993 season, and then he blamed it all on his teammates and the coach.

The Rangers crumpled under the pressure from 1992. Leetch missing 2/3 of the season didnt help.

The Rangers won in 1994 because they had no goalie controvery, Leetch made a bigger commitent to defense, and they made the larmer trade.

The Larmer trade changed the season around. They were going nowhere before that trade.

The infamous slipped getting out of a cab injury

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Not to derail the thread, but looking back, you tend to forget how young some of the key players on the '94 team were.

Leetch and Graves were younger than Staal. Zubov was the same age as McDonagh. Kovalev was younger than Kreider. Really impressive what they were able to do that those ages, and gave you an idea of how good they would be in their primes.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Nowhere? That's going a bit too far. Patrick and Turcotte should have been traded way before that, others were surpassing them. Larmer was a great get that year, no doubt, changed the season, well, there were bigger trades to follow that ultimately put us where we wanted to be.

But this thread was started by dagoon, notorious Hank hater, so I really question whether he cares about the question more than the implication here.

They were 7-5-1 and in 5th place at the time of the Larmer trade, with losses to a couple of expansion teams.

After the Larmer trade they went on a 19-3-2 tear.

They were 44-22-6 at the time of the deadline trades -- best record in the NHL.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
They were 7-5-1 and in 5th place at the time of the Larmer trade, with losses to a couple of expansion teams.

After the Larmer trade they went on a 19-3-2 tear.

They were 44-22-6 at the time of the deadline trades -- best record in the NHL.

7-5-1 was not that bad, adding a HOF type player in Larmer was a positive charge, that wasn't a shock, at the same time Keenan stopped alternating Richter and Healy, Richter went on that great streak of his and the PP also went on a great run with Leetch and Zubov dominating from the point.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
When bringing up the '94 team, why is no one mentioning Zubie?

168 pts between two defensemen (Leetch, Zubov). You can divide that number by three (56) and all 7 defensemen on this team wouldn't muster that many points.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
When bringing up the '94 team, why is no one mentioning Zubie?

168 pts between two defensemen (Leetch, Zubov). You can divide that number by three (56) and all 7 defensemen on this team wouldn't muster that many points.

The regular 7 D had 81 points this year. Thats actually decent. Boston's blueline combined had 70 points, and that's using 9 defenseman.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
The regular 7 D had 81 points this year. Thats actually decent. Boston's blueline combined had 70 points, and that's using 9 defenseman.

I was using hyperbole.

I think if you were to combine all points from the defense from our ECF run, they still fall short.

GarretJoseph*

Nash is a better fit than Gaborik. Nash, while being a softie for a guy his size, still has size and some grit. He can also PK occasionally, better than Gaborik ever could.

Not comparing Nash to Gabby.

Simply saying instead of doing the Nash deal, do the Gabby deal. Get Moore, Brassard and Dorcett in to play alongside last years team. total pipe dream i know but maybe they could have played better and more on Torts system/support/style/whatever

Hagelin --- Brassard --- Richards
Clowe --- Stepan ---- Callahan
Dubinsky -- Anisimov --- Zuccarello
Prust --- Boyle ---- Dorsett
extras: kreider, miller, powe, asham, newbury, haley.

Top 6 D - Staal, Del Zotto, Girardi, Moore, McDonagh, Stralman'
7/8 - Erixon, Eminger, Sauer

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
Blue note
You all seem to make hank out to be this movie star handsome nice man that drives a family car and loves puppies.. Well he is not he is a shrewd business man that makes huge money drives a Ferrari and lives a rock star life. He knew that torts sucked the life out of the team and played his cards .. Deal with the fact he and a few others got rid of torts now it is time to deliver end of story

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Blue note
You all seem to make hank out to be this movie star handsome nice man that drives a family car and loves puppies.. Well he is not he is a shrewd business man that makes huge money drives a Ferrari and lives a rock star life. He knew that torts sucked the life out of the team and played his cards .. Deal with the fact he and a few others got rid of torts now it is time to deliver end of story

I'm dealing with it fine, no problems on how this went down.

Hank is a Rock Star, he earned it.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Maybe because the Rangers are probably the least successful team I root for but honestly you people really need to get over 1994. It was almost 20 years ago. Anything the Rangers do from now on is on them.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Not comparing Nash to Gabby.

Simply saying instead of doing the Nash deal, do the Gabby deal. Get Moore, Brassard and Dorcett in to play alongside last years team. total pipe dream i know but maybe they could have played better and more on Torts system/support/style/whatever

Hagelin --- Brassard --- Richards
Clowe --- Stepan ---- Callahan
Dubinsky -- Anisimov --- Zuccarello
Prust --- Boyle ---- Dorsett
extras: kreider, miller, powe, asham, newbury, haley.

Top 6 D - Staal, Del Zotto, Girardi, Moore, McDonagh, Stralman'
7/8 - Erixon, Eminger, Sauer

That team would still not score, get injured a lot and win 1-0 or 2-1 every game in 7 game series and miss out.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Blue note

I think long term you'd rather be remembered as an Eli Manning than a Phil Rivers. Put up what you want during the regular season, and it's great that he has, but championships are a big thing for the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad