Confirmed Buy-Out Wisniewski bought out

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Is Wisniewki's 47 seconds TOI the shortest tenure a player has ever had on an NHL team?

The closest I can think of was Joonas Nattinen playing 1:47 for the Canadiens.

Not an answer to your question but Doug Gilmour was traded back to Toronto from Montreal and during his second shift he couldn't take it anymore left the ice and said 'I can't go back to being a Leaf after being a Hab! I quit.'

Or something like that.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I wonder if the buyout was to give young D more minutes and to help manage an internal budget? Currently they aren't at the floor but they'll obviously be taking on some salary through trade and/or free agency.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I'm at a loss as to why they did this, but Francis hasn't steered us wrong yet, so I'm trusting him.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
My guess as to why: They need to get a defenseman to expose for the expansion draft and need the contact space to add him and have a few other bodies they plan to add in trade/FA. Add in a less than ideal rehab for Wiz and it makes sense. He played 47 seconds so it's not like he was a cog of the team.

To go further, we have to expose someone for the 40/70 requirement. Hanifin, Slavin, Pesce are exempt. Hainsey doesn't have a contract for 17-18, so nope. That's 4 down already. That leaves Wiz, Murphy, Faulk. Wiz doesn't have a contract for 17-18. Murphy needs 35 games next season to meet the 70 game over two seasons requirement. If we kept Wiz, we'd be swapping him out every other game just to get Murphy his requirement because we sure as hell aren't exposing Faulk. At that point, what's the point in keeping Wiz if he's not back to where he started? So, we decided to cut him and go after someone else who can take his place and meet the requirement himself.

I think I have that right. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Not an answer to your question but Doug Gilmour was traded back to Toronto from Montreal and during his second shift he couldn't take it anymore left the ice and said 'I can't go back to being a Leaf after being a Hab! I quit.'

Or something like that.

He crawled off the ice after being injured. It was a sad end to a great career.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
9 yrs 37.5 million in earnings.

I wouldn't say that's bad for being injured.

His last contract was a good one

I wouldn't count him out yet, probably isn't ready to retire

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
It's probably for one of three reasons:

1) We're just going to replace his spot with another defenseman on a 2-year deal, for the purpose of exposing them for the ex. draft.

2A) We're going after a pricey top 6 forward and wanted a little more breathing room so we don't go over our internal budget....
2B) ....Francis and co. are going to give Ryan Murphy one last shot at sticking with the 'Canes and/or will give Haydn Fleury every opportunity to make the club.

3) His knees are shot and the team felt he was going to make zero impact.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
All I can think of is Francis wants to add a solid piece or two in the next few days, and maybe because of internal budget reasons needed every penny he could get?

We really needed Wiz when he got hurt, We could still really use him now.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Uhh what? Unless RF has another move lined up already, this just doesn't make much sense. The canes are a lot shorter at RHD than LHD, and Peters stated he likes to keep the pairings balanced left to right. Saving cap space is irrelevant and it just extends his money another year. Francis has been great so far, but I don't get this one

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Screw it, let's get the whole gang back together!

Keith-Seabrook
Campbell-Hjalmarsson
Kempny/TVR-Wisniewski
(Gustaffson/Svedberg/Roszi)

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Not sure why people saying this is stupid. The defense looked pretty good without him last season. We have a lot of young guys that need minutes. He is coming off a bad knee injury. It's not a big deal. Certainly nothing to be mad about.

It's still weird considering he only had 1 yr left in his contract and the Canes aren't touching the cap.

I mean, might as well keep him around as a depth guy instead of paying for nothing ? What if the Canes D gets struck by the injury bug ?

I guess there's some behind the scenes stuff going around with this one.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
It's still weird considering he only had 1 yr left in his contract and the Canes aren't touching the cap.

I mean, might as well keep him around as a depth guy instead of paying for nothing ? What if the Canes D gets struck by the injury bug ?

This is the primary concern. Paying a guy *not* to play for you does not seem too smart when your RHD depth is so poor, the defense is already so young, and you are at the Cap Floor anyway.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Lot of people in this thread confident 32yo is coming all the way back from major knee injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad