Wirtzes buying USHL Chicago Steel

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Obviously this is a precursor to the Hawks winning the lottery again and getting (former) Chicago Steel player Macklin Celebrini. :naughty:
Mack won’t be on steel next year

We’ve billeted for the Steel for the last 5 years (we are done now) The team, players and staff become like family.

I hope it doesn’t move the team away from Fox Valley, but could be exciting. Going from billionaire owner to billionaire owners!

Reactions: Muffinalt

Naster Okan

Jan 8, 2019
Mack won’t be on steel next year

We’ve billeted for the Steel for the last 5 years (we are done now) The team, players and staff become like family.

I hope it doesn’t move the team away from Fox Valley, but could be exciting. Going from billionaire owner to billionaire owners!
Or should you say: “Suit & Tie Guys”?

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Kind of a head scratcher unless they really love hockey, or it's part of a bigger plan in the next few years. A USHL franchise just isn't that valuable unless it was tethered to something bigger.

BMO and AllState both over 40 yrs old now and it might be easier to finance a big project if there are 2 significant built-in tenants and every renter would love control of the schedule if they could get it. Both are publicly owned. Rosemont has been looking beyond the venue, not sure about Rockford.

Too many development rumors to sort through in the region, but I do think AHL hockey in the area is in for a change in the next few years one way or another, and the Steel purpose makes sense if Wirtz is looking for financing for a new facility for hockey/shows.

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
Might end up on the new sheet at 5th/3rd once it is done? Not sure what else would make sense. 5th/3rd doesn't have much availability otherwise.
I really hope that's not the case. I'd like to see the Fox Valley Ice Arena remodeled or renovated to something more fitting for the organization. It's great hockey and location for hockey fans that live in Chicago's suburbs, where the drive into the city is a huge time sink and extremely inconvenient. Chicago proper has the Hawks. Let the suburbs have the Steel. This is the greater Chicagoland area. We have enough of a population to go around to support multiple hockey leagues and teams. No need to centralize them all under one unified city center.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Kind of a head scratcher unless they really love hockey, or it's part of a bigger plan in the next few years. A USHL franchise just isn't that valuable unless it was tethered to something bigger.

BMO and AllState both over 40 yrs old now and it might be easier to finance a big project if there are 2 significant built-in tenants and every renter would love control of the schedule if they could get it. Both are publicly owned. Rosemont has been looking beyond the venue, not sure about Rockford.

Too many development rumors to sort through in the region, but I do think AHL hockey in the area is in for a change in the next few years one way or another, and the Steel purpose makes sense if Wirtz is looking for financing for a new facility for hockey/shows.

You don't think the Wirtz family really loves hockey? 😂

I really hope that's not the case. I'd like to see the Fox Valley Ice Arena remodeled or renovated to something more fitting for the organization. It's great hockey and location for hockey fans that live in Chicago's suburbs, where the drive into the city is a huge time sink and extremely inconvenient. Chicago proper has the Hawks. Let the suburbs have the Steel. This is the greater Chicagoland area. We have enough of a population to go around to support multiple hockey leagues and teams. No need to centralize them all under one unified city center.
Geneva is in a horrible location for a majority of suburbanites. They'd draw much better somewhere along 294 that's accessible from both north and south.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
You don't think the Wirtz family really loves hockey? 😂
Not what I said.

WWW loved hockey according to the family and several people quoted in books, but he had limits on spending. Sports are littered with attentive owners that spend for future financial gain more than any sentimentality to the sport.

Agreed on Geneva being a bad fit to draw fans and probably sponsorships.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I've only seen them play in Indianapolis and Bensenville, and I'm not sure which was more convenient for locals.

No clue about Fox Valley.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Outside of that 630 area, like Aurora/Naperville, Fox Valley Arena really isn't convenient for anyone else in the Greater Chicago area. That's basically the very edge of Chicago suburbs. It may be closer to DeKalb than to Chicago. It's not really "cheap Friday entertainment" option for most Chicago area families because it's an 1 hour+ drive from most places.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Outside of that 630 area, like Aurora/Naperville, Fox Valley Arena really isn't convenient for anyone else in the Greater Chicago area. That's basically the very edge of Chicago suburbs. It may be closer to DeKalb than to Chicago. It's not really "cheap Friday entertainment" option for most Chicago area families because it's an 1 hour+ drive from most places.

Any rink 20+ minutes off a major expressway is a terrible location if you actually want people to attend games and spend money.

The rink is, effectively, in the middle of nowhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad