Winter Universiade 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
I just found out there's some international tournament called the Winter Universiade going on right now in Innsbruck/Seefeld, Austria. There are different sports (kind of like in the Olympics) and hockey is one of them. Does anyone know anything about this tournament? Are any of the players on the rosters (see below) familiar to any of you people?

The groups are as follows.

Group A: USA, Slovakia, Finland, Austria, Italy, Korea (!)
Group B: Canada, Russia, Czech Republic, China, Ukraine, Japan

There are some links below, first the official site and then stats, scores and rosters are found in the second link.

http://www.universiade-innsbruck.org/en/sport/disciplines/ice_hockey.html

http://www.iihf.com/Hydra/Tournamen...ontent/web_output/index.jsp@compId=1000000005

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
The Universiade are the World University Games. They are hosted every two years and have been known by many different names since they began in 1923. Founder Jean Petitjean wanted to call the first games the "University Olympic Games" but Pierre de Coubertin protested and convinced him to change the name to preserve the word Olympic solely for the Olympic Games. Up until 1939 the games were called International University Games.

Interrupted by war the games were revived in 1947 under the name World Student Games but a rift between countries from the east and west blocs caused the games to split with each group holding their own games. The two sides were reunited in 1957, and the 1959 Turin games were the first to use the term Universiada or Universiade.

The Universiade is open to competitors between the ages of 17 and 28 in the years of the games, who are full-time postsecondary students (University, College, CEGEP) or have graduated from a post secondary institution within the previous year of the event.

In the hockey event I think only the Austrians are there with a strong team, since they are the hosts (they actually stopped their Elite League for the Universiade).

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
Thanks for explaining, I've never heard of this tournament before. And I think it's strange that there are teams like China, Japan and Korea competing, while teams such as Sweden doesn't have a team there (most of the bigger hockey nations are represented though). The second link has the rosters, are any of the Canadian or American guys familiar? Or any of the others, like Finns or Czechs or whatever? They didn't put their current club teams in the roster lists though, that's a pity.

I also see that Canada smoked China 21-1, outshooting them 80-6... :lol Other interesting scores so far, the USA lost to Austria 8-1 (Austria outshot the Americans 45-13) and also to Italy 4-0 but managed to beat Slovakia 2-1, and Canada lost 4-5 against the Czechs in their second game of the tournament.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Petey21 said:
The second link has the rosters, are any of the Canadian or American guys familiar?

Lots of fairly good ex-junior players. I'd say the Canadian talent level looks comparable to a Central Hockey League team.

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
Winter World University Games, for students between the ages of 17 and 28, has
been held every 2 or 3 years since 1960. Sites that have hosted Winter University Games listed below:

1960 Chamonix, France (1st Winter Universiade)
1962 Villars, Switzerland
1964 Spindleruv Mlyn, Czechoslovakia
1966 Sestriere, Italy
1968 Innsbruck, Austria
1970 Rovanieme, Finland
1972 Lake Placid, USA
1975 Livigno, Italy
1978 Spindleruv Mlyn, Czechoslovakia
1981 Jaca, Spain
1983 Sofia, Bulgaria
1985 Belluno, Italy
1987 Strbske Plesso, Czechoslovakia
1989 Sofia, Bulgaria
1991 Sapporo, Japan
1993 Zakopane, Poland
1995 Jaca, Spain
1997 Chonju Moju, Korea
1999 Poprad, Slovakia
2001 Zakopane, Poland (20th Winter Universiade)
2003 Tarvisio, Italy (21st Winter Unversiade)
2005 Innsbruck, Austria (22nd Winter Universiade)
2007 Turin, Italy

At the 2003 hockey tournament in Pontebba,Italy - Russia grabbed the Gold defeating Slovakia 5-2 behind the goaltending of Konstantin Barulin (Russia went undefeated through entire tourney), while Canada defeated host Italy 6-3 to capture the Bronze medal on January 25, 2003. Canada had goals from Kenneth McKay, Jon Barkman, team captain Blair St. Martin, Kevin Marsh, Bryan Randall and Ryan Wade. Goalie Clayton Pool stopped numerous Italian scoring chances, while Italy netminder Gunther Hell did his best at keeping the Azzurri in the game. Italy got goals from Fabrizio Sendner, Flavio Faggioni and Enrico Dorigatti.

At the 2001 hockey tournament in Poland - 4000-plus fans jammed the Nowy Targ arena and watched Slovakia defeat Canada 4-2 for the Gold medal. CAN goalie Greg Hewitt was voted best goalie of tournament but his teammates were not able to overcome the Slovakian offence and left winger Michal Krupa's 2 goals.

Ukraine won the Bronze medal game by beating Czech Republic 4-3 in overtime.
The Czechs held a one goal lead with less than a minute to play. Ukraine pulled its goalie and scored the equalizer with 11 seconds left forcing the game into overtime, where Ukraine won the game just 40 seconds into OT.

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
The Austrians have four guys in the team, who played at the World Championships in Prague last year. They really take this tournament serious.

SkateLikeTheWind

Jun 16, 2004
Denver, CO
I can tell you where team usa is picked from. They are all ACHA Division 1 players. The problem is all of the players picked are from the same 3 teams(penn st. ohio u. and i believe weber). And only 2 maybe 3 of the players are even in the top 20 point wise in the league. The best players arent even playing.

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
Alter Haudegen said:
The Austrians have four guys in the team, who played at the World Championships in Prague last year. They really take this tournament serious.
Yep, even the austrian league is stopped during that tournament.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Alter Haudegen said:
The Austrians have four guys in the team, who played at the World Championships in Prague last year.
Italy has a couple of national team regulars, too.

MacDaddy TLC*

5 players on the Canadian team are from the Lakehead University Thunderwolves: Peter Cava (drafted by Toronto), Joel Scherban (drafted, I think by Pittsburgh), Jeff Richards (cousin of Mike), Erik Lodge, and Murray Magill (Grandson of former Red Wing Dave Gatherum).

I really hope this tourney means something because Lakehead has been doing terribly without those 5.

MacDaddy TLC*

Rory Cava lied to us? http://www.thunderwolveshockey.com/headlines.asp?id=442

The FISU games are the Olympics of University sport. The chance to play for Team Canada in this competition, against the rest of the world, is a once in a lifetime opportunity. We are proud to celebrate the achievement of the selection of five of our players that will represent Team Canada as they go for gold at the World University Winter Games.

Dizzy

May 24, 2003
Windsor, ON
Visit site
Mayor of MacAppolis said:
I really hope this tourney means something because Lakehead has been doing terribly without those 5.

They sure are, losing 7-2 to the University of Windsor Lancers last night. Not pretty for Lakehead.

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
Canada's University hockey teams have done reasonably well in the history of the Winter Universiade. Canada has collected a total of 9 medals (2 Golds, 2 Silvers and 5 Bronze). Canada last won the Winter World University games in 1991 and also won the tourney in 1981 (playing as the Univ. of Alberta Golden Bears). Canada has not always sent a hockey team in some years. They came close to winning Gold again in 2001 and in 1999 when Ukraine won the Gold and Slovakia the Silver, with Canada getting the Bronze.

Here's a list of Canada's placings in the Winter Universiade hockey tournament:

2003 - 3rd
2001 - 2nd
1999 - 3rd
1997 - 3rd
1991 - 1st
1987 - 3rd
1981 - 1st
1972 - 2nd
1968 - 3rd

MacDaddy TLC*

Piggy2 said:
They sure are, losing 7-2 to the University of Windsor Lancers last night. Not pretty for Lakehead.
Even with a full line up they have trouble with Windsor for some odd reason. Dr Vern Stenlund always seems to have them fired up to play his old hometown.

The Commish

Dec 11, 2004
Mayor of Macappolis do think PETE BELLIVEAU will get fired at the end of the year. I think he will, I dont think he did a great job recruting this year and I think he has lost the team in the room, his lack of loyality to vetern players who went to Lakehead just for hockey is starting to catch up too him IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->