OT: Winter Olympics Part II

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I'm mixed on the idea adopting the bigger ice. It really takes checking and board play out of the game but it does allow some extra space to maneuver. The European teams seemed to be alright with defending between the dots but the Canadians covered the entire ice. I think some of that had to do with their mobile defense. No matter the size of the rink, smart coaches and smart teams will figure it out.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I think - think - Mike Babcock might be smiling here. I could be wrong though, it could just be wind or something.

2014-02-23T143210Z_775010275_LR1EA2N14DCIL_RTRMADP_3_OLYMPICS-ICEHOCKEY.JPG

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
Great goaltending? No
Hits? No
Goals ? No.
Boring to death

Latvia and Finland hitting everything possible with a maple leaf on it was the whole reason those games ended up being so tight on the scoresheet, and I have to question how much of the tournament you actually watched if you're legitimately saying there was no great goaltending. There were plenty of high-scoring games, unfortunately almost none of them involved Canada.

It really feels like some people are complaining about the big ice just for the sake of complaining about it. Or just residual bitterness about Canada winning.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I'm mixed on the idea adopting the bigger ice. It really takes checking and board play out of the game but it does allow some extra space to maneuver. The European teams seemed to be alright with defending between the dots but the Canadians covered the entire ice. I think some of that had to do with their mobile defense. No matter the size of the rink, smart coaches and smart teams will figure it out.

Board play is the single least interesting aspect of hockey, so I don't have any complaints there. Nothing worse than watching five guys kick at the puck while one guy stands on it for 10 minutes straight. It's even worse than watching 10 minutes of trap and chase.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Board play is the single least interesting aspect of hockey, so I don't have any complaints there. Nothing worse than watching five guys kick at the puck while one guy stands on it for 10 minutes straight. It's even worse than watching 10 minutes of trap and chase.

the way canada plays down low on the cycle is actually one of the best things about hockey, textbook way to wear your opponent down

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Kronwall looked disappointed in himself again. Kronwall always looks so disappointed in himself.

Kronwall is one of those guys that puts tremendous accountability on himself. I don't think he was that bad today, Ericsson had a rough game as his partner for a while, but it was Kronwall snuffing out some of the bad decisions by Ericsson and then Karlsson for much of the game. However that is one of the things I have always liked about Kronwall, he will point the finger at himself and the guy absolutely loathes losing. I know most of them do, but he has always taken defeat as hard as anyone and looked at what he could have done better and talked openly about it.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Kronwall is one of those guys that puts tremendous accountability on himself. I don't think he was that bad today, Ericsson had a rough game as his partner for a while, but it was Kronwall snuffing out some of the bad decisions by Ericsson and then Karlsson for much of the game. However that is one of the things I have always liked about Kronwall, he will point the finger at himself and the guy absolutely loathes losing. I know most of them do, but he has always taken defeat as hard as anyone and looked at what he could have done better and talked openly about it.

Kronwall was a very good captain, that's for sure. In fact, all the captains really showed up throughout the tournament. Parise was trying to do it all, and Crosby really showed some maturity and poise. Datsyuk and Selanne were stirling.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Yeah Kronner seems like one of those really accountable guys that really appreciates the fact that he gets to play hockey for a living. Only player I've met who ever really seemed appreciative that we came out to support them, and generally interested in how we were doing.

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi
tumblr_n1gyyhNBFj1sox5h8o1_500.jpg

Oh my.

But yeah kronner does seem like a very genuine dude to me. He obviously cares about how well he performs and how it affects the team, that's got to be great to have around in the locker room. Same with franzen really, but he apparently has pretty severe anxiety and can come off a little standoffish because of it. It surprised me because when I saw him at the open practice and told him to get well soon, he seemed really genuinely grateful and surprised that someone cared about his wellbeing.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This stuck out with Kronwall even before he was a leader, it is just quality I have always liked about him. I also like that when something goes wrong he takes blame even when he doesn't have to often with the team or in situations were he has been hurt or bested. He did it again this year when McLeod drilled him in the numbers and perhaps my favorite one as a guy that has been a big hitter when Koivu blew him up and several of his teammates complained that it should have been interference, Kronwall just said it was brilliant play. A gracious competitor, also as others have pointed out if you have run into him in person he is a guy that appreciates the fans to a degree I honestly haven't seen out of another Wings player that I have had the chance to meet.

Last edited:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Latvia and Finland hitting everything possible with a maple leaf on it was the whole reason those games ended up being so tight on the scoresheet, and I have to question how much of the tournament you actually watched if you're legitimately saying there was no great goaltending. There were plenty of high-scoring games, unfortunately almost none of them involved Canada.

It really feels like some people are complaining about the big ice just for the sake of complaining about it. Or just residual bitterness about Canada winning.

Playoffs >>>>>>>>> Olympics

You can go through this thread and see That I was complaining about Olympics hockey long before the semifinals.
Soccer >>> Olympics hockey

Let me put it this way. I watched olympics '02 and '06 and I can't remember a single game, goal or save (lidstrom's gold medal goal I remember). If those games were exciting I would remember something. Therefore I did not watch a single game Olympics '10. Very boring.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
like I was saying...

https://twitter.com/HayesTSN/status/437595945111683072

I thought the womens gold medal game was the game of the tournament, not RUS/US

For me this was too. 100% effort, bodies flailing all over the ice. Canada's miraculous comeback crushing the Americans hopes, ripping their (and my) hearts out. What a storyline, what a game. I hadn't felt such emotion since may be the GMG in 2010 or the Wings/Pens series in 2009. This was such a rush I just couldn't get up for the US/CAN game.

Some other random observations-

Babcock is a genius. He had a superstar line-up but seeing him in practice, forming a concrete team identity so quickly, and sticking by a game plan that was proven to be dominant. Could any coach have aided Canada winning in this fashion? I don't think so. We are very lucky to have Babs as coach!

Great for us Jurco and Tatar were some of the best players for Slovakia.

Jan Mursak had an outstanding performance playing for Slovenia with Kopitar. Not saying I think he should be here in Detroit, but good for him.

I don't think Russia looked bad. A comment I read summed it up well- they got behind against Finland early and tried to scramble back, but didn't have enough. Their expectations were set to high, may be also team USA.

Sweden had a beauty of a team, much respect. Terrific style, just no one in the world can match Canada right now. Really liked Nyquist and Kruger, L.Ericsson, Landeskog, Kronner was solid as always and of course Karlsson. The Hjalmarsson/ Oduya pairing is a treat to watch. Jonathan Ericsson! :help: Two goals were directly on him last game, then a stupid penalty. I felt bad for him but now I feel bad for us! :laugh: Backstrom was a big loss that game, and of course Zetterberg would help make a game of it. I think the generation of Sedins and Alfie contributing much is ending now. Not sure how much Henrik would have made a difference.

Overall I really enjoyed the hockey. A nice break from the NHL to see the most skilled, elite players of our nations test each other. It really is like a fantasy or all-star game, beyond belief how good these national teams are.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Here's my Scoring chance data for Team Canada (games against NOR, FIN, USA, SWE).

Chances/min rating - Player (Goals + Assists + Scoring chances + Created chances + Screened chances = Total) - Avg Ice-Time

0.480 - RW Jeff Carter (0+2+17+6+6 = 31) - 17:06min
0.455 - LW Rick Nash (0+0+11+5+0 = 16) - 9:47
0.420 - RW Corey Perry (0+0+10+8+7 = 25) - 14:53
0.402 - C Jonathan Toews (1+0+7+17+1 = 26) - 17:24
0.399 - C Ryan Getzlaf (0+1+4+19+0 = 24) - 15:18
0.386 - C Matt Duchene ( 0+0+2+7+2 = 11) - 9:31
0.382 - LW Patrick Marleau (0+1+12+5+5 = 23) - 16:02
0.381 - C Sidney Crosby (1+1+8+15+0 = 25) - 16:23
0.372 - RW Patrice Bergeron (0+2+8+7+2 = 19) - 14:16
0.366 - RW Patrick Sharp (0+0+4+7+3 = 14) - 9:34
0.322 - LW Jamie Benn (2+0+7+6+1 = 16) - 13:40
0.307 - LW Chris Kunitz (1+0+7+6+3 = 17) - 13:51

0.513 - RW Martin St.Louis (0+0+8+0+1 = 9) 8:46 (involved only in 2 games)
0.322 - C John Tavares (0+0+4+3+1 = 8) - 12:26 (involved only in 2 games)

0.255 - D Drew Doughty (3+1+11+5+0 = 20) - 20:22min
0.207 - D Shea Weber (1+2+6+8+0 = 17) - 21:49
0.193 - D Alex Pietrangelo (0+0+10+4+0 = 14) 19:55
0.187 - D Duncan Keith (0+1+5+8+0 = 14) 20:01
0.087 - D Jay Bouwmeester (0+1+1+4+0 = 6) 17:19
0.079 - D Marc-Edouard Vlasic (0+0+3+2+0 = 5) 15:54

0.000 - D Dan Hamhuis (0+0+0+0+0 = 0) 4:48min (only few shifts in 3 games)

Crosby was pretty meh. Just one of the guys. Kunitz was the weakest link there. Not a surprise for anybody?

Imo, Toews and Carter were the best forwards there. Both killed penalties and still were major factors also in offensive play. And Toews scored Carter-assisted gold medal game GWG to clinch that fact. :)

Those chances per ice-time also have short-handed ice-time estimation (I counted it by myself rewieving the games) that is counted off from PK guys total ice-times. So the rating is only PP+ES Ice-Time per scoring chances.

All D-pairs were used as normal pairs also on PK, but Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo was used most, kind of 50% of time. Forward pairs pairs in usage order were:

Bergeron-Benn
Toews-Nash
Marleau-Carter

Getzlaf was the 7th forward to fill the pairs if one of the PK guys was in the box.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
when I turned on the TV, middle of the 1st period, Canada looked good, knew they were going to win. Turned off TV cause had to write multiple exams yesterday and today. Aced them all ;)

Feeling really good now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->