Transfer: Winter mercato window rumors

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
MLS stinks

I've tried with the MLS, I really have. But it's like the XFL of soccer with all the rules and gimmicks.

I mean we joke around about "can they do it on a cold, wet, windy Tuesday night in Stoke ?" but how bout can you do it on a cold night in March on a f***ing baseball field??

Reactions: cgf

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I've tried with the MLS, I really have. But it's like the XFL of soccer with all the rules and gimmicks.

I mean we joke around about "can they do it on a cold, wet, windy Tuesday night in Stoke ?" but how bout can you do it on a cold night in March on a ****ing baseball field??

What rules and gimmicks? Sure, the talent is crap in comparison to watching the top Euro leagues on tv.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
What rules and gimmicks? Sure, the talent is crap in comparison to watching the top Euro leagues on tv.

I'm going to get back into it this year seeing as LAFC is new so it won't feel like bandwagoning onto some team. It isn't a league where we should want our players to spend their whole career but it is really not that bad. Expansion is stretching the player pool pretty thin but there are lots of good players in this league now. There didn't use to be more than a few and sometimes not even a few.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

GAM, TAM, DP, discovery right, international allocations, the rules on selling players and reinvesting funds. It's a cluster.

I mean read this on sales:

Everything you need to know about selling players in MLS

It's just needlessly convoluted.

I also don't like the playoffs cause for the most part, they're boring and rewards teams that were mediocre during the season. But no one questions it, cause they're busy screaming for pro/rel in a league full of owners who go out of their way to minimize their financial exposure.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
GAM, TAM, DP, discovery right, international allocations, the rules on selling players and reinvesting funds. It's a cluster.

I also don't like the playoffs cause for the most part, they're boring and rewards teams that were mediocre during the season. But no one questions it, cause they're busy screaming for pro/rel in a league full of owners who go out of their way to minimize their financial exposure.

Ok, that's fair. I was thinking you were referring to on-field, but I agree, most people do not understand how transfers and salaries work, and that's not a positive thing for the league.

Playoffs are just apart of American culture, and pro/rel just wouldn't for many more reasons than just the owners.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

I agree with all this. The quality of play though is alright and getting better because teams keep buying midfielders and attackers instead of defensive players. As for Barco it doesn't hurt that he's probably going to the best team for creative attacking play, and also the team that I think has the best players, although I'm sure Toronto fans would disagree with that.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Ok, that's fair. I was thinking you were referring to on-field, but I agree, most people do not understand how transfers and salaries work, and that's not a positive thing for the league.

Playoffs are just apart of American culture, and pro/rel just wouldn't for many more reasons than just the owners.

I don't begrudge those who watch it, at all. I got into the Red Bulls when henry was there and even now, they play some pretty soccer that I'll occasionally watch. But the schedules are crazy, the timing with international breaks leaves summer looking like a college league in some years. It just isn't for me.

Ill say this - of all the teams - Atlanta is pretty cool. They get massive crowds and are generally fun to watch. But barco should have gone to Europe. If McKinnie and Haji Wright turned around and wanted to come to Atlanta over staying at Schalke, I would say the same.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Nice. So we're replacing Coutinho with not one but two better players. Very exciting.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008

I mean we joke around about "can they do it on a cold, wet, windy Tuesday night in Stoke ?" but how bout can you do it on a cold night in March on a ****ing baseball field??
I try watching MLS once a year, and am reminded once a year why I only watch MLS once a year.

Hearing Keita will be a Liverpool player on Sunday.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Seems like City have identified Fred as their Fernandinho replacement.

From now on he'll use Fredinho on his jersey to make the transition easier for everyone involved. Pep knows. I like Fred a lot, he plays more up front than Fernandinho does for City, but he could work beautiful playing deeper. Lots of pace to burn to go along with good technique, dribbling and passing skills. Shakhtar is great at developing Brazilian players.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't begrudge those who watch it, at all. I got into the Red Bulls when henry was there and even now, they play some pretty soccer that I'll occasionally watch. But the schedules are crazy, the timing with international breaks leaves summer looking like a college league in some years. It just isn't for me.

Ill say this - of all the teams - Atlanta is pretty cool. They get massive crowds and are generally fun to watch. But barco should have gone to Europe. If McKinnie and Haji Wright turned around and wanted to come to Atlanta over staying at Schalke, I would say the same.

I agree. I enjoy going to SKC games, but watching games on tv can be cringe-worthy. Watching live is much better than tv.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Nice. So we're replacing Coutinho with not one but two better players. Very exciting.

Hearing Keita will be a Liverpool player on Sunday.

Journalist that’s a Liverpool homer says Keita might move Sunday.

giphy.gif

Unfortunately there are no plans to buy a keeper. That's a bit shit.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Still count zero player better than Coutinho. But better balance on the team sure.
Both van Dijk and Keita are better players than Coutinho at their respective positions, and bring better balance to the team as you noted.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Unfortunately there are no plans to buy a keeper. That's a bit ****.
No one sells their keeper in January. It’s fine, I just hope they are going all in on Oblak in the summer. Especially if PSG have moved on. There is no other move for Oblak without other dominos falling.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
No one sells their keeper in January. It’s fine, I just hope they are going all in on Oblak in the summer. Especially if PSG have moved on. There is no other move for Oblak without other dominos falling.

Rather Allison. Need another Brazilian to keep Firmino company.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad