Transfer: Winter mercato window rumors

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Alexis is a great player, but I absolutely do not see him fitting at United under Mourinho.

I don't want him. Not to do with ability, but he's a sulking baby. They'll fallout within months, and then we'll have live shots of his shit eating grin on the bench rest of the season.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Why would anybody be upset with Neymar going to Madrid? It would be awesome.

People get too attached with players. It's a two way street and you need to appreciate the player as long as he leaves his best on the field. Or leave to a direct rival. Nothing wrong with what Coutinho or Keita have done really. Their teams will live on.

I'm sure you were eager to have Henry,Cesc and RVP move on.

He's 18, he's not going to start for a big team anyway, and he'll get a lot of exposure and play against professionals. It's not a horrible career move. It's better than the teens that go to teams like Real Madrid or Chelsea and then stagnate. Here he'll probably be the star player on the team (minus maybe Miguel Almiron).

Nah, it is career suicide. A young player doesn't only need minutes he needs the right kind of minutes in an environment that will help him develop his potential and play football the right way. He's going to an inferior league with inferior coaching staff and facilities(assuming on the last part) than what he's used to. To a country that doesn't worship football. As I said before dumb choice by him the agent and his family.

Barco will be playing for a manager that coached Barcelona and Argentina. He'll definitely learn from that and in a couple years, he'll be more ready to move to a bigger league/club.

He'll make a lot of money, and you could argue the transaction to the US will be easier than going halfway across the world.
He'll learn nothing and will probably regress.

This part made my laugh... instead of spending 6-8hrs on a flight he spent what 2-3 hrs? This is now a pro when choosing a team lol?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Alexis is a great player, but I absolutely do not see him fitting at United under Mourinho.
It’s a desperation move (that could certainly work out) but I wonder what this does to Rashford and/or Martial’s minutes. Man U doesn’t need Alexis to finish Top 4 either, but it hurts Arsenal more than it helps them, and more than it upsets City. Feels like Man U trying to win the tabloid battle. But Alexis is great so it certainly doesn’t hurt Man U.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
The only half decent team is TFC. I like the way Atlanta play but still the avg american player is bad - they form athletes before forming real football players with technical abilities. And they keep expanding with new teams.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
If a player wants to leave home for money, I don't think distance from home is anything that a player really cares about.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Family will be closer, that's obviously a factor for some.

NOt a very smart nor a career oriented one.

Money, really not complicated. Also his new manager coached Barcelona and Argentina, so it's not like he won't learn anything.

Maybe he just wants to live in the US too.

No he will learn nothing he wouldn't have learnt with better coaches in Europe.

Again, its his decision but from a footballing perspective its a terrible one. Equivalent of Lanzini going to UAE for 2 years. This will impede his career/potential. I'd love to be wrong but I don't see how he can come back from this and be WC.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
NOt a very smart nor a career oriented one.

No he will learn nothing he wouldn't have learnt with better coaches in Europe.

Again, its his decision but from a footballing perspective its a terrible one. Equivalent of Lanzini going to UAE for 2 years. This will impede his career/potential. I'd love to be wrong but I don't see how he can come back from this and be WC.

He's 18, and Lanzini has done just fine for himself. The coach he is playing for has been all over, he will learn the same things from him as he would from others. The level of competition will obviously be lower, but there are plenty of examples of hot-shot prospects fading out by moving to a big club too soon. I don't understand why so many people are freaking out about this. Why do you care so much if this is what he wants. Obviously there are very valid reasons why he's doing this.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He's 18, and Lanzini has done just fine for himself. The coach he is playing for has been all over, he will learn the same things from him as he would from others. The level of competition will obviously be lower, but there are plenty of examples of hot-shot prospects fading out by moving to a big club too soon. I don't understand why so many people are freaking out about this. Why do you care so much if this is what he wants. Obviously there are very valid reasons why he's doing this.

- He's 18 and you're point? Its still a dumb move by him and those around him.

- Lanzini the one playing for a mid table to relegation zone team? Yup, he's certainly world class and has reached the pinnacle of world football.

- There's nothing missing if he were to stay in Argentina or move to Europe. With or without Tata.

- I care because he was one if not the best prospect in Argentina, that's obvious no? His reasons are valid because they are his own... however they are not from a footballing POV.

Reactions: les Habs

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Do MLS clubs really pay more though?
They just paid 15 million for him, about 12 Euro, he's going to be highly paid. The top 7 players make 5M+ a season in guaranteed. Almiron on Atlanta got about 2.3M. Barco will get getting a lot. Barco will probably get around what Almiron makes or more.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Assuming you actually get your paycheck in Argentina (not always the case) I just googled it and from a study in 2014 Argentinean players get more. However, things might have changed since then... I wouldn't doubt it. Mind you this shouldn't be the discussion anyway. Be it for $$ (it is) or "family" his reasons have nothing to do with football or providing the best environment for his career.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

MLS teams pay really stupid large wages if they sign you for big money.

Considering he's 18 and probably signed his first professional contract for a ridiculously low amount, well yeah. I'd be surprised if the young lad was making more than $10,000 a year and it's very likely less.

Apparently he's getting $1.5 million a year. Good for him. I don't think many other leagues he could have gone to would have paid him that much and considering D2M is tired of Argentinian players going to Russia this might be for the best.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Assuming you actually get your paycheck in Argentina (not always the case) I just googled it and from a study in 2014 Argentinean players get more. However, things might have changed since then... I wouldn't doubt it. Mind you this shouldn't be the discussion anyway. Be it for $$ (it is) or "family" his reasons have nothing to do with football or providing the best environment for his career.

You can just ignore the money though. The amount of money he can receive in a short-period of time can dramatically change the situation for himself and his family, and he can still go to a big club in a couple years from now.

You'd have to look at what the top earners make, not just the average. Players in MLS range from 7M+ to 50k. Barco will end up in the top 5/10 salaries, 2.5M+ a year.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
You can just ignore the money though. The amount of money he can receive in a short-period of time can dramatically change the situation for himself and his family, and he can still go to a big club in a couple years from now.

You'd have to look at what the top earners make, not just the average. Players in MLS range from 7M+ to 50k. Barco will end up in the top 5/10 salaries, 2.5M+ a year.

Again it's obvious he went for $$$... I'm not ignoring it for a life's perspective, he gets a better quality of life not only for himself but those around him. However, how does this help him be a better soccer player? The answer should be obvious... it doesn't.

He can and will probably move on to a bigger club once he fills his pockets and gets bored however by that time he would've lost years which are important for his development to be a WC player. He won't ever recover from this in terms of being a top player. I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
MLS teams pay really stupid large wages if they sign you for big money.

Considering he's 18 and probably signed his first professional contract for a ridiculously low amount, well yeah. I'd be surprised if the young lad was making more than $10,000 a year and it's very likely less.

Apparently he's getting $1.5 million a year. Good for him. I don't think many other leagues he could have gone to would have paid him that much and considering D2M is tired of Argentinian players going to Russia this might be for the best.

Russia would've been better... at least there's hope he could still nurture his talent. Both suck though. Argentineans and players in SA should strive for mid table clubs in Italy,Spain, Portugal, France or Germany.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Again it's obvious he went for $$$... I'm not ignoring it for a life's perspective, he gets a better quality of life not only for himself but those around him. However, how does this help him be a better soccer player? The answer should be obvious... it doesn't.

He can and will probably move on to a bigger club once he fills his pockets and gets bored however by that time he would've lost years which are important for his development to be a WC player. He won't ever recover from this in terms of being a top player. I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise.

It depends how long he's there. Because if he has a great two years there someone will immediately come to buy him. I don't think much of MLS as a league but I also don't think a player can't develop there. The team he's going to be on is pretty good and it is becoming clear that MLS teams are going to consistently try to buy these players away from SA now.

One of the best players in the world this season played in Egypt until he was 20 and Switzerland for a little while longer so I don't think a player should be written off like that just because of where they play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad