Transfer: Winter mercato window rumors

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Does January really make sense to go for him? I know Monaco bombed out of the CL but he's cup tied. Unless they keep Coutinho and bring in Lemar I don't think it really works for us until the Summer.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I doubt any move for Lemar happens in the winter but there would be huge advantages to buying him now: you ease him into the team and its style before you need him as a main player, and perhaps you find a way to rotate Salah and Firmino - who have played roughly 80% of Liverpool's minutes - out to keep them fresh for CL fixtures and a close race for top 4.

Reactions: Savant

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Didn't the CL change it's rules to allow teams to change the registration for a set amount of winter signings? Or was that just a proposal that went nowhere that I'm totally misremembering because sleep has evaded me again.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Does January really make sense to go for him? I know Monaco bombed out of the CL but he's cup tied. Unless they keep Coutinho and bring in Lemar I don't think it really works for us until the Summer.

Makes sense for Arsenal though. So but sure, go ahead and wait for summer ;)

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

I doubt any move for Lemar happens in the winter but there would be huge advantages to buying him now: you ease him into the team and its style before you need him as a main player, and perhaps you find a way to rotate Salah and Firmino - who have played roughly 80% of Liverpool's minutes - out to keep them fresh for CL fixtures and a close race for top 4.

DM takes the words out of my mouth. Plus I think Liverpool being proactive is their best chance at getting him. Especially if they can get him before the World Cup.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Didn't the CL change it's rules to allow teams to change the registration for a set amount of winter signings? Or was that just a proposal that went nowhere that I'm totally misremembering because sleep has evaded me again.
I think that he would be Cup tied either way. It honestly doesn’t bother me either.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Chelsea wants Lemar now too.

Going to be a slobber knocker.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Pochettino spoke a few days ago about wanting more players from the English market (probably homegrown). Quite confident that he is hinting toward Barkley.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I agree, but I was speaking more to the idea that Coutinho would be sold and Lemar his replacement. That doesn't make sense for Liverpool in the winter -- which is why I said unless they were planning on buying him on top of keeping Coutinho in which case I'm all for it.

But yeah, in terms of being able to register new players in the winter I believe you are allowed but you can't if they've already played in the CL/EL (which Lemar has).

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Matt Law has Chelsea going after Lemar, Barkley, a striker, and possibly a left-wing back if they don't get Lemar. They view Lemar as both an option at left-wing back and as an attacking option. Looks to be either Lemar or Sandro as the big marque signing, at least that's the ideal plan.

Alex Telles and Philipp Max were also named.

Hopefully Emenalo being at Monaco now could help facilitate a deal with Chelsea.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Just like it was for Baba, Chelsea would be a step (or three) too far for Max at this point. Although I'm skeptical of his ceiling, so back up at a club like Chelsea could well be the peak of his career.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Matt Law has Chelsea going after Lemar, Barkley, a striker, and possibly a left-wing back if they don't get Lemar. They view Lemar as both an option at left-wing back and as an attacking option. Looks to be either Lemar or Sandro as the big marque signing, at least that's the ideal plan.

Alex Telles and Philipp Max were also named.

Hopefully Emenalo being at Monaco now could help facilitate a deal with Chelsea.
Emenalo was unceremoniously dismissed. That probably hurts things.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah that’s Liverpool’s Coutinho replacement. We will see how it goes.
You sure that Pool is selling Coutinho in Winter? I don't know if I can see that, always thought they were going to keep him for a full year and sell him for a lot in the summer window. Whatever happens, I think Arsenal are the front-runners solely on how desperate they will be. I can't see Sanchez signing a pre-contract with City because he probably wants to move the soonest as possible, will sign one as a last resort. Because of that, it would open a spot and I suggest that Arsenal are the only team that can guarantee Lemar the most playing time even if there is zero CL that comes with us.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You sure that Pool is selling Coutinho in Winter? I don't know if I can see that, always thought they were going to keep him for a full year and sell him for a lot in the summer window. Whatever happens, I think Arsenal are the front-runners solely on how desperate they will be. I can't see Sanchez signing a pre-contract with City because he probably wants to move the soonest as possible, will sign one as a last resort. Because of that, it would open a spot and I suggest that Arsenal are the only team that can guarantee Lemar the most playing time even if there is zero CL that comes with us.
I don’t think he goes this winter but stranger things have happened. Liverpool has the money though and Klopp may want to get Lemar in early to settle in so he can be firing on all cylinders by the start of next season. Also he may want to avoid the feeding frenzy Liverpool can certainly provide a lot of playing time especially with the way Klopp is rotating the squad. Lemar would be an automatic choice whenever they went 442 and will get plenty of minutes. I don’t think that’s an issue. If Coutinho goes that’s even more time for him as well. Monaco will sell him to the highest bidder and I don’t think it’s more complicated than that.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Liverpool's switch to the 4-4-2 gives me the impression that Lemar could be a bigger asset than previously thought. It's a really interesting formation and I hope that Klopp continues to explore it.

Right now they line up like this:

Firmino - Salah
Coutinho - Henderson* - Wijnaldum* - Mane
----------------BACKLINE------------------
I imagine van Dijk will join them, but more interestingly we'll need to fit in Keita and then if Lemar is bought he does fit like a glove on that wide left position that ends up tucking into the middle while the left wingback overlaps. The right side is a little more of a traditional wing with the midfielder on that side pushing up a bit more aggressively and the fullback on the right plays a bit more conservatively as well. I've analyzed it a bit but I want to watch it more. With that in mind I could see this after buying:

Firmino - Salah
Lemar - Wijnaldum - Keita - Mane
Moreno* - van Dijk - Matip* - Clyne
Karius*​

Gomez could easy be a starter at CB by then I reckon, if not a top end back-up for both the centre or outside. Robertson could take over too -- he's looked great. The midfield is a bit murky in that they will probably buy one more but I would love to see a Wijnaldum/Keita double pivot. I think Wijnaldum is already being groomed in that sense.

Either way getting Lemar would be great if we can hold on to Coutinho for the rest of this year also. If Coutinho then decides to stay we'll have a glut of options up front.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad