Blue Jays Discussion: Alright, no more discontent. Just baseball | ST in Mtl: StL @ Tor | Mar 26/27 7pm ET/4pm PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I have no problem with hitting Pearce leadoff either, really. And I'm a fan of keeping lineups relatively constant, so a platoon leadoff spot is fine with me.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

The Jays were probably relieved when Edwin Encarnacion rejected their four-year, $80-million offer last off-season. The rapid decline of Jose Bautista is fresh in their mind as well, reinforcing their analytics. They wouldn’t likely consider a deal of more than four years for Donaldson.

Ownership has placed no specific limitations on Shapiro and Atkins with regard to how much they can pay any individual player, but they have to consider how much they can commit to one franchise player while still fielding a winning roster around him.

Donaldson is making $23 million this season and will likely command as much as $30 million per year in free agency. That may be a deal-breaker for Toronto’s front office.

The other challenge for the Jays in any deal with Donaldson is the inclusion of a no-trade clause. Again, Shapiro and Atkins never say never on anything. They would consider such clauses in certain circumstances, but it is unclear whether a multi-year commitment to a 33-year-old third baseman would be such a circumstance. Big free-agent stars expect no-trade clauses. If they’re going to commit to a club, they want the club to commit to them.

Even if all the stars aligned for Donaldson and the Jays, he would want to know that the franchise would be willing to commit to other free agents in the same way they are with him: money, years, no-trade clauses, etc. Donaldson wants to get paid his true value, but he also wants to win. You’d expect him to look elsewhere if he couldn’t get that commitment.

McFly2544

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Burlington, ON
I feel like Tellez has been an afterthought after his miserable year...but didn't it come out that his mother was ill and passed away that totally shook him up? Could see a big bounceback year.

I don't really know much about other teams prospects but I'm surprised to see Astros, Yankees and Dodgers in the Top 10...already legit playoff teams with talent at the major league level and more on the way apparently.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I feel like Tellez has been an afterthought after his miserable year...but didn't it come out that his mother was ill and passed away that totally shook him up? Could see a big bounceback year..

grandmother who was like a mother.

but yeah, here's hoping last year was a more a mental thing than a skills thing - it's rare to see such a spectacular drop in performance like that. If he can get right back on track this eyar then it's easy to believe last year was a blip.

But if he struggles again this year, it's probably over for him.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
In his opening lines, Pat called Donaldson “Jose” and absolutely butchered Solartes first name. Baseball season is here, folks.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Just a heads up: As per standard practice, there won't be a GDT thread until the regular season starts.

In his opening lines, Pat called Donaldson “Jose” and absolutely butchered Solartes first name. Baseball season is here, folks.

As soon as I'm on my latop, I'm going to retrieve the drinking game image.

A RF that can go first to third standing up on a single to right? Wowza

I thought those were a myth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad