Blue Jays Discussion: Alright, no more discontent. Just baseball | ST in Mtl: StL @ Tor | Mar 26/27 7pm ET/4pm PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Traitor

Mike_Babcock__Riders_2017_1.jpg

It's called being a fan.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Yes I think we should boooo Tulo when he gets on field because he is a Vegas Knights fan and not a Leaf fan!!! :sarcasm:

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I hope acupuncture isn't the only treatment for his ailments that he's getting (evidence-based medicine anyone?), and Jays' doctors are just humouring him on that one.

Reactions: Starry Knight

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Again management being careful with their assets that is all this is when it comes to Stroman, Donaldson and Tulo. Give them time to rest up and ensure they don't flare up midseason when we need them most.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I hope acupuncture isn't the only treatment for his ailments that he's getting (evidence-based medicine anyone?), and Jays' doctors are just humouring him on that one.

I would imagine it's not just pure acupuncture. As it's a muscle injury he's likely being seen by team physiotherapists who are using needles as an effective technique to deal with muscle injures. Essentially it uses acupuncture needles and they use them to stimulate tight muscle areas. It is a post-grad course for physios that requires extensive training and development, and is highly effective.

I know this because my wife does it. I've been treated with it many times and can attest to the results.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I would imagine it's not just pure acupuncture. As it's a muscle injury he's likely being seen by team physiotherapists who are using needles as an effective technique to deal with muscle injures. Essentially it uses acupuncture needles and they use them to stimulate tight muscle areas. It is a post-grad course for physios that requires extensive training and development, and is highly effective.

I know this because my wife does it. I've been treated with it many times and can attest to the results.

I'm not speaking directly to what your wife does here just in general, but unfortunately even courses aren't all that well-regulated in some places here. There's a post-grad program in acupuncture that's received the go-ahead for next year that's caused a stir, and chiropractors are still called doctors and allowed to practice on some university campuses while they promise fixes to ailments such as asthma or even those that have a neurological basis.

But I hope JD is misspeaking and he's not receiving traditional acupuncture but rather something more evidence-based that involves needles, like you say. Because traditional acupuncture has been shown to be no more effective than sham acupuncture, even if people do say it was effective (placebo effect, natural ebb and flow of symptoms, relaxation, etc. can explain that). For a top-level athlete, I'd hope they'd be giving him the gold standard, and then if Josh says "hey, I'd like to get some acupuncture done" they'd say "lol go ahead" bc they know it wouldn't do any harm and he's seen them already.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm not speaking directly to what your wife does here just in general, but unfortunately even courses aren't all that well-regulated in some places here. There's a post-grad program in acupuncture that's received the go-ahead for next year that's caused a stir, and chiropractors are still called doctors and allowed to practice on some university campuses while they promise fixes to ailments such as asthma or even those that have a neurological basis.

But I hope JD is misspeaking and he's not receiving traditional acupuncture but rather something more evidence-based that involves needles, like you say. Because traditional acupuncture has been shown to be no more effective than sham acupuncture, even if people do say it was effective (placebo effect, natural ebb and flow of symptoms, relaxation, etc. can explain that). For a top-level athlete, I'd hope they'd be giving him the gold standard, and then if Josh says "hey, I'd like to get some acupuncture done" they'd say "lol go ahead" bc they know it wouldn't do any harm and he's seen them already.

I get what you're saying. I just assume the Jays hire first-rate physiotherapists who would oversee this sort of thing, and that's the type of treatment they'd likely go to. Probably should mention my wife is a sports physio as well.

Reactions: Mach85

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Again management being careful with their assets that is all this is when it comes to Stroman, Donaldson and Tulo. Give them time to rest up and ensure they don't flare up midseason when we need them most.

TBH, I don't see Tulo doing anything this season. It's a write off for him. Missed last 2 months of last season, no ST, might miss the first 2 months this season. Honestly, what do you think he can do after all that? By the time he plays a regular season game, it would be almost a year since he last played a regular season game.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I get what you're saying. I just assume the Jays hire first-rate physiotherapists who would oversee this sort of thing, and that's the type of treatment they'd likely go to. Probably should mention my wife is a sports physio as well.
Yeah, you're probably right. I just wonder sometimes when I see all these world-class athletes getting things like cupping done. Although I guess getting one treatment doesn't preclude them from getting another.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yeah, you're probably right. I just wonder sometimes when I see all these world-class athletes getting things like cupping done. Although I guess getting one treatment doesn't preclude them from getting another.

Pretty much. Cupping is a treatment that's caught some buzz recently, also proven to be effective. Really a lot of these treatments are designed to keep muscles relaxed, strong, and healthy but at a higher effectiveness than physio's just massaging and stretching.

It's actually fascinating what they're able to do. I would highly recommend seeing a physio instead of a doctor for any muscle related injury.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Pretty much. Cupping is a treatment that's caught some buzz recently, also proven to be effective. Really a lot of these treatments are designed to keep muscles relaxed, strong, and healthy but at a higher effectiveness than physio's just massaging and stretching.

It's actually fascinating what they're able to do. I would highly recommend seeing a physio instead of a doctor for any muscle related injury.
We're kind of getting off track from baseball now, altho maybe it's tangentially related since cupping is being used more and more. But what do you mean when you say it's proven to be effective? AFAIK, maybe for relaxation but that's about it. And you could say the same thing about having a bubble bath. In terms of effectiveness as a medical treatment, cupping hasn't performed well in clinical trials. For instance, it was outperformed by exercise for treating back strains. At this point, cupping is still very much a pseudoscience/"alternative" treatment.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
We're kind of getting off track from baseball now, altho maybe it's tangentially related since cupping is being used more and more. But what do you mean when you say it's proven to be effective? AFAIK, maybe for relaxation but that's about it. And you could say the same thing about having a bubble bath. In terms of effectiveness as a medical treatment, cupping hasn't performed well in clinical trials. For instance, it was outperformed by exercise for treating back strains. At this point, cupping is still very much a pseudoscience/"alternative" treatment.

I was going off of the top of my head, but you may be right about that now that I think about it more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->