Blue Jays Discussion: Alright, no more discontent. Just baseball | ST in Mtl: StL @ Tor | Mar 26/27 7pm ET/4pm PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Ben Nicholson-Smith @bnicholsonsmith
31s
Kevin Pillar worked on mobility & lost 15 Lbs. this off-season. Why? He wants to make harder, more consistent contact, become more of a threat on the bases, and even improve defensively
sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/b… #BlueJays

#BSOHL

McFly2544

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Burlington, ON
So where do we think Biagini provides most value this season?

Back to the bullpen or starting the season in Buffalo as the 6th starter/1st call-up

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Ben Nicholson-Smith @bnicholsonsmith
31s
Kevin Pillar worked on mobility & lost 15 Lbs. this off-season. Why? He wants to make harder, more consistent contact, become more of a threat on the bases, and even improve defensively
sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/b… #BlueJays

#BSOHL

Hopefully losing 15 pounds improves his pitch recognition and plate discipline because that's what's actually preventing him from making "harder, more consistent contact".

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Back to the bullpen or starting the season in Buffalo as the 6th starter/1st call-up

Great question.
For this year probably the pen

If he wants to be a starter then Buffalo.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Hopefully losing 15 pounds improves his pitch recognition and plate discipline because that's what's actually preventing him from making "harder, more consistent contact".

eh, he'll never improve those, but if he can go back mentally and physically to being a bit more of a slaphitting / running/ fielding guy, he might be able to creep his value back to being a plus starter again.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Being in the bullpen doesn't stop him from being the 6th starter.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
So Dickerson was literally given away to the Pirates for a gas can reliever and a nothing prospect. Still a head scratcher why he didn't have more trade value. I wonder if he's headcase or something.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
So Dickerson was literally given away to the Pirates for a gas can reliever and a nothing prospect. Still a head scratcher why he didn't have more trade value. I wonder if he's headcase or something.

Unless the Rays particularly like something about the prospects they got back. Sometimes teams attach a lot of value to other clubs' "meh" prospects for reasons we can't readily see from the outside.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Temporarily altered the thread title to note that there's a game on TV tomorrow afternoon/morning.

Projected starters are:
PHI - Jerad Eickhoff (24 gs, 128 IP, 4.71/4.30/4.72 ERA/FIP/SIERA)
vs
TOR - Joe Biagini (18/44 gs/gp, 119.2 IP, 5.34/4.27/4.28 ERA/FIP/SIERA)
*stat lines are their 2017 stats with their respective MLB clubs. Click for fangraphs pages)

I have seen no word yet on what the linup or stream of post-Biagini pitchers will look like. Though I'm honestly not holding my breath for a lot of name-brand prospects or starting lineup regulars.

Last edited:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

DWq2ESsX0AUzBRE.jpg:large

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
True, but they had him yo-yo enough last year with poor results so I would think they'd like to give him a defined role.

funny enough, his best time as SP came immediately after he moved over from the pen.

the more he started, the worse he got. and his later AAA stint didn't help.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Unless the Rays particularly like something about the prospects they got back. Sometimes teams attach a lot of value to other clubs' "meh" prospects for reasons we can't readily see from the outside.

Although it doesn't really match up with the timing of the trade, since they had to DFA him first. If anyone offered anything of significance i'm sure the deal would have happened a long time ago. This seems like a last resort kind of deal.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I have seen no word yet on what the linup or stream of post-Biagini pitchers will look like. Though I'm honestly not holding my breath for a lot of name-brand prospects or starting lineup regulars.

First lineup stuff I've seen confirmed. Will probably see prospects/rookies/depth in the first game.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
MLB.com released and is releasing their top 30 prospects by team. The have the following schedule;

Team Top 30 Prospects schedule:
Mon., Feb. 19 - AL East
Tue., Feb. 20 - NL East
Wed., Feb. 21 - AL Central
Thu., Feb. 22 - NL Central
Fri., Feb. 23 - AL West
Mon., Feb. 26 - NL West

If a team's list is not posted on the dates above, that team will be in our ranking of MLB's Top 10 farm systems, which will come out according to this schedule:
Tue., Feb. 27 - Nos. 9 & 10
Wed., Feb. 28 - Nos. 7 & 8
Thu., March 1 - Nos. 4-6
Fri., March 2 - Nos. 1-3

MLB.com 2018 Prospect Watch

The Jays should have had their list out already but looking at the red it means they are a top 10 farm according the MLB.com and will be released on the schedule noted above.

So it is assumed that some of the teams who will be in the top 10 can be determined. Of the teams that should be listed but arent are; the Jays, Yankees, Rays, Braves, Phillies, White Sox, and the Reds. So those 7 teams will be in the top 10... The remaining 3 teams will be from the AL and NL West (AL West is coming out today). But i will assume the Astros, Dodgers and Padres will hold the last 3 spots in the top 10.

Braves, Padres, White Sox, Yankees, Astros, Dodgers, Reds, Phillies, Ray and Jays. I assume the Jays are anywhere from 7 to 10. I would guess 9 or 10 but i wonder if Whitley's suspension or Honeywell's injury plays a factor because if it does then i would move the Astros and Rays below the Jays.

Whats your top 10 ranking guess?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
don't be surprised to see grandy in the one spot a lot.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
MLB.com released and is releasing their top 30 prospects by team. The have the following schedule;

The Jays should have had their list out already but looking at the red it means they are a top 10 farm according the MLB.com and will be released on the schedule noted above.

So it is assumed that some of the teams who will be in the top 10 can be determined. Of the teams that should be listed but arent are; the Jays, Yankees, Rays, Braves, Phillies, White Sox, and the Reds. So those 7 teams will be in the top 10... The remaining 3 teams will be from the AL and NL West (AL West is coming out today). But i will assume the Astros, Dodgers and Padres will hold the last 3 spots in the top 10.

Braves, Padres, White Sox, Yankees, Astros, Dodgers, Reds, Phillies, Ray and Jays. I assume the Jays are anywhere from 7 to 10. I would guess 9 or 10 but i wonder if Whitley's suspension or Honeywell's injury plays a factor because if it does then i would move the Astros and Rays below the Jays.

Where did you find that lineup?

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Not how I would necessarily rank them, but how I expect it to go down:

1. Braves
2. White Sox
3. Yankees
4. Padres
5. Rays
6. Reds
7. Jays
8. Phillies
9. Astros
10. Dodgers

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
don't be surprised to see grandy in the one spot a lot.

I don't mind it vs RHP to start the season. The only other guy I prefer leading off is Travis (at least until Alford is ready), but he historically has his least success batting 1st. Honestly, wouldn't mind going

v. RHP: Granderson - Donaldson - Smoak - Travis - Solarte - Grichuk - Martin - Tulo - Pillar

v. LHP: Travis - Donaldson - Smoak - Morales - Pearce - Martin - Grichuk - Tulo - Pillar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->