Pre-Game Talk: Winter Classic: NY Rangers @ Buffalo Sabres - January 1, 2018 @ Citi Field - 1pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricho

Jan 23, 2013
Return it immediately. NHL.com is all crap heat pressed garbage. Buy at MSG, NHL store or get a blank and have Arena Wear so it.

I bought mine last Friday night at MSG when they first went on sale and it’s heat pressed. I paid $289. NHL store will do the stitching but it comes out to $334.

Reactions: ZiGOODejad

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I bought mine last Friday night at MSG when they first went on sale and it’s heat pressed. I paid $289. NHL store will do the stitching but it comes out to $334.

Should have said buy a blank at MSG. NHL sends all the custom orders out to arena wear.

I emailed arena wear the other day and they said they aren’t gettting to any new work until after the new year. NHL store is probably the best bet for now.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Should have said buy a blank at MSG. NHL sends all the custom orders out to arena wear.

I emailed arena wear the other day and they said they aren’t gettting to any new work until after the new year. NHL store is probably the best bet for now.
Pretty sure the NHL Store sends out to Arena Wear anyway.

At least, that's where they sent my blank to be customized when I bought it from them.

And this was about two months ago.

artificialintuition

Nov 21, 2017
Return it immediately. NHL.com is all crap heat pressed garbage. Buy at MSG, NHL store or get a blank and have Arena Wear do it.
So...I was at the Garden Sunday & Tuesday.

On Sunday, I was told that the entire place sold out of the WC jerseys in adult sizes immediately (Friday night).

The staff at the NHL store told me on Monday that they would be receiving new stock this Friday.

I was surprised when I showed up at the game on Tuesday and found some options. I normally wear a 52 in the old Reebok Edge 1.0 and 2.0 (it's the size I wear when playing/with pads, so it's probably a little too big when just wearing it around, TBH).

They had no blanks; I impulsively grabbed a Zuccarello size 50 and actually did not notice until today that all the customization is heat transfer. I was thrown off because the numbers and nameplate actually have stitching on them to look like they are stitched, but the stitching is only on that layer. Trippy. I've never seen (or simply noticed) that before.

I can peel a number pretty easily. Also, the name plate is ever so slightly off-center (I can see this by the fact that it extends to one sleeve panel more than the other side).

What should I do? Peel the letters/numbers and send it out (Arena Wear?) for proper customization?

Feels not so great to have purchased this and not noticed. It's unworn, but now I'm out of town and cannot likely return it to MSG.

Argh.

Definitely my fault for not noticing.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013

On Sunday, I was told that the entire place sold out of the WC jerseys in adult sizes immediately (Friday night).

The staff at the NHL store told me on Monday that they would be receiving new stock this Friday.

I was surprised when I showed up at the game on Tuesday and found some options. I normally wear a 52 in the old Reebok Edge 1.0 and 2.0 (it's the size I wear when playing/with pads, so it's probably a little too big when just wearing it around, TBH).

They had no blanks; I impulsively grabbed a Zuccarello size 50 and actually did not notice until today that all the customization is heat transfer. I was thrown off because the numbers and nameplate actually have stitching on them to look like they are stitched, but the stitching is only on that layer. Trippy. I've never seen (or simply noticed) that before.

I can peel a number pretty easily. Also, the name plate is ever so slightly off-center (I can see this by the fact that it extends to one sleeve panel more than the other side).

What should I do? Peel the letters/numbers and send it out (Arena Wear?) for proper customization?

Feels not so great to have purchased this and not noticed. It's unworn, but now I'm out of town and cannot likely return it to MSG.

Argh.

Definitely my fault for not noticing.

Oh god are they that bad. I usually get mine from MSG but I recently moved out of state I figured if I bought mine from the NHL website that at least (I thought) they would be authentic and the craftsmanship would be better then most. Now I'm from what I'm hearing I'm a little worried

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
upload_2017-11-30_14-6-53.png

Look!

Bricho

Jan 23, 2013

If it bothers you so much you should just have it re-customized. I got a quote of 100 bucks plus shipping from arena wear for the customization. But as someone else already mentioned, they’re not going to get to it until after New Years.

I have a jersey or two where I notice a few imperfections and it kind of bothers me but I guarantee you no one can tell when I’m wearing it. I’ve never looked at someone in a jersey and said “ewww, the numbers aren’t stitched”. But it’s you that has to wear it so you should feel good about it.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
There are other places aside from arena wear. stitchesny (I think that is the name of it) can do it. They do the letterirng for the Yankees and Mets, and when I went there, I saw someone working on a Rangers jersey. They are in Whitestone.

dubidubidu

Apr 27, 2012
SI,NY 10304
There are other places aside from arena wear. stitchesny (I think that is the name of it) can do it. They do the letterirng for the Yankees and Mets, and when I went there, I saw someone working on a Rangers jersey. They are in Whitestone.

Stitches is great. I've had a few Rangers jerseys done there and it's always excellent work. The only thing is they won't do a name plate. I know thats a deal-breaker for some.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Did Epix ever do a Road to the Stadium Series in 2013-14? I remember they did one the following season, but I am not sure they did one the year we played at Yankee Stadium twice

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
the four-week, 30-minute limited series will premiere on Wednesday, Dec. 13 in the U.S. on NBCSN at 11:30 p.m. ETimmediately following the Boston Bruins-Detroit Red Wings game on Wednesday Night Rivalry, and on Thursday, Dec. 14 at 7 p.m. ET in Canada on Sportsnet before the Pittsburgh Penguins-Vegas Golden Knights game telecast. Full episodes also will air on NHL Network™ and be available for viewing on NHL.com worldwide, NBCSports.com, the NBC Sports app in the U.S. and the Sportsnet app in Canada.

NHL ‘Road to the Winter Classic’ coming to NBCSN

Seanothan

Jan 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Anybody buy the authentic jersey? Does it come with the game patch on the shoulder? NHL Shop has pics of the authentics, but every pic...

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Anybody buy the authentic jersey? Does it come with the game patch on the shoulder? NHL Shop has pics of the authentics, but every pic...

MSG has it with the Winter Classic patch but heat pressed on. You can always have someone stitch it down, did it with my 85th patch jersey that I had gotten from MSG.

artificialintuition

Nov 21, 2017
Oh god are they that bad. I usually get mine from MSG but I recently moved out of state I figured if I bought mine from the NHL website that at least (I thought) they would be authentic and the craftsmanship would be better then most. Now I'm from what I'm hearing I'm a little worried

For full disclosure, I'm still bothered that "authentic" is used with any of the Adidas jerseys. I guess they can use whatever term they want, but "authentic" means something to me. (Yeah, I get that this goes back to the Reebok days. Still...)

It feels like many people believe they are wearing exactly what the players wear on the ice; we know that is not the case with these (or with the Indo-Edge jerseys).

To me, this is a 'replica'; that term was used when I was growing up and didn't seem to have a bad connotation to it.

I think it is important to separate out the quality of the jersey vs the quality of the customization. The jersey itself is pretty nice (and it's cool if you KNOW it not the same one the players are wearing).

If it bothers you so much you should just have it re-customized. I got a quote of 100 bucks plus shipping from arena wear for the customization. But as someone else already mentioned, they’re not going to get to it until after New Years.

I have a jersey or two where I notice a few imperfections and it kind of bothers me but I guarantee you no one can tell when I’m wearing it. I’ve never looked at someone in a jersey and said “ewww, the numbers aren’t stitched”. But it’s you that has to wear it so you should feel good about it.

Thanks for your post. I'll clarify this a bit. "Bothers me so much" sounds pretty dramatic; it's just a jersey, but it IS an expensive one at $279.

As said above, I think the quality of the jersey itself is high -- and what I expect from the Adizero jerseys.

There was a bit of a frenzy at the rink on Tuesday: the jerseys sold out Friday, and they must have gotten a very small amount in for Tuesday. I admit that I was part of the frenzy. I saw 2 jerseys in my size and decided on a Zuccarello (more on this in a minute).

I failed to check out the jersey thoroughly (I had to meet up with a friend--still my fault!). I didn't wear it that night and actually didn't check it out until I got back home 24h later; I put it right in my suitcase that night.

When I took it out to show my kid, I saw that one of the numbers was already peeling--and not by a small amount. This totally threw me off because I was *sure* the numbers were sewn on. I then realized I'd been faked out; I'd never noticed any situation where there was stitching ON the numbers themselves, but then the numberers were glued on. This seems like it was done intentionally to apply them in a hurry and/or to fool people.

Why does this matter? I expect a $279 item to last, and stitching on the numbers is more durable than adhesive. If it's peeling when I haven't even worn it, that's not a good sign.

Looking a bit more closely I then noticed a few things:
* The numbers were actually misaligned; one was higher than the other. (With how easily one could be peeled off I suspect this could have been fixed.)
* The nameplate was glued on a bit off-center. This adhesive here showed no signs of weakness, so it would not be easy (/possible) to fix.
* The Zuccarello jersey had a "A" within the felt shield on the front. I noticed I could see an imprint of the "NY" underneath it. It's faint but it is there. I flipped the jersey inside out and saw that they had quickly sewn a shield with an "A" over the top of the NY shield.

I *think* the blanks were about $190. If I'm paying $90 for customization, my expectation is that the letters and numbers are sewn on. Maybe I'm wrong about it, and maybe $90 is the standard at MSG for heat transfer. It still surprises me.

I'd never judge someone for their choice in what has value to them and how they choose to spend their money. Heat transfer, adhesive, sewn-on... doesn't matter to me what other people choose. My personal choice is that I'm either going the cheapest route *or* the closest I can get to what the players wear. The in-between solutions are a little hard to justify *for me*. I don't buy a ton of jerseys.

(FWIW, my kid preferred a Lundqvist home jersey with heat transfer #s even though I had a Lundqvist "authentic" in one hand with credit card in another. :))

I DO have a bit of an issue with how these are represented as authentic in many ways (tags, display in store, etc), and yet this is not what is being worn on ice OR how customization is done.

I guess 'authentic' means that this is an actual product made by Adidas or a licensee. Seems a bit distorted to me, but...

Had the number not peeled it might have been a little while before I noticed that it was not sewn-on as well as the other minor issues. As it is, back to the MSG Team Store it goes. Shipped it off today. :(

I'll probably buy a blank and then have the customization done the right way.

Yep, as said above the patch is there (glued on--can't recall if these are normally glued on or sewn on. I have a 2012 WC Edge 2.0, but it's not in front of me to check.)

artificialintuition

Nov 21, 2017
If it bothers you so much you should just have it re-customized. I got a quote of 100 bucks plus shipping from arena wear for the customization.

Just one other point here:
When paying an additional $90 for customization (that is poorly done) over a blank, paying another $100 to fix it is not so palatable, and quite frankly should not have to be done. It's the most expensive item they sell.

Plus, when adhesive is used it sometimes prevents one from stripping it without damage.

In my case, the numbers would likely be easy to peel, but the nameplate might not come off without damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->