Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets select Santeri Virtanen:#105 Overall

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Ya... there's not exactly much correlation to being noted as good face off in junior to good in NHL.

Also, FOs are highly overrated (but still useful).

EG: Schiefele. He was one of the best on the dot in the OHL. He still has a way to go in the NHL. I'd expect it would be similar with Virtanen.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Watching him at the prospect scrimmage, his skating is raw. Almost looked like someone who went through a crazy growth spurt in the last 2-3 years, and is just getting used to his size and proper skating mechanics.

He is a fun player to watch, though. Loves mixing it up in the corners, and is really good at protecting the puck down low.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Watching him at the prospect scrimmage, his skating is raw. Almost looked like someone who went through a crazy growth spurt in the last 2-3 years, and is just getting used to his size and proper skating mechanics.

He is a fun player to watch, though. Loves mixing it up in the corners, and is really good at protecting the puck down low.
I noticed the same. It shows in the shift-by-shift as well. Excellent use of his body to shield the puck and nice hands in tight.

And while his skating is notably weird, he's not slow. Very straight line quick.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
What the heck is that at 1:07, an underground bunker? Is there a house rule that the puck is still in play when it bounces off a light fixture? :laugh:

In Finland lots of our bomb shelters are being used as different sport centers. The gym i go to is in a bomb shelter.

Living next to Russia means having lots of them.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Interesting that he is going .U.S.H.L instead of C.H.L. If he wanted to come to N.A.

Maybe he has .N.C.A.A aspirations for the following year.

Virtanen was not drafted in the import draft meaning he is ineligible for CHL. Now as to why he was not drafted (ie did he tell CHL teams not to draft him, or did no CHL team want to draft him), I have no idea. Perhaps he simply did not decide to move over till now, which would explain it.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Dear God what wizardry is this!? I opened the link in my phone, and haphazardly happened to move it a bit and, lo, the alternate reality on the screen moves right along!

Even more wizardry.Did you know you can wander around inside our arena without leaving the comfort of your favorite chair? I put you at ice level looking up at where Fearless Leader sits (corner box at the end of the press box) so you may give him a virtual salute. The E-3 bar on the right takes you to the different levels, you can even go in the suites if the door is open. No saunas in any of them, though. Sadly, the interior shots predate the new scoreboard and loges.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.8929...bEgaDx536P8B5Hm5N1_Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

It's a bit kludgy in places on the concourses. If you seem to hit a point where you can't get the movement arrows to proceed, try shifting your view.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Even more wizardry.Did you know you can wander around inside our arena without leaving the comfort of your favorite chair? I put you at ice level looking up at where Fearless Leader sits (corner box at the end of the press box) so you may give him a virtual salute. The E-3 bar on the right takes you to the different levels, you can even go in the suites if the door is open. No saunas in any of them, though. Sadly, the interior shots predate the new scoreboard and loges.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.8929...bEgaDx536P8B5Hm5N1_Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

It's a bit kludgy in places on the concourses. If you seem to hit a point where you can't get the movement arrows to proceed, try shifting your view.

I did not know that. Thank you. They totally should do one with the audience there in the place.

I actually noticed I got slightly bit too excited initially; I miscomprehended that not only could I look around by turning myself and the phone around, but also could move on the map by walking. I was kind of high for the prospect of getting lost in my nearby forest beause I thought I was in Venice or somewhere.

Noma

Virtanen was not drafted in the import draft meaning he is ineligible for CHL. Now as to why he was not drafted (ie did he tell CHL teams not to draft him, or did no CHL team want to draft him), I have no idea. Perhaps he simply did not decide to move over till now, which would explain it.

Virtanen's options were playing pro in Finland's second tier Mestis or going to USHL and aiming for NCAA the season after.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Virtanen's options were playing pro in Finland's second tier Mestis or going to USHL and aiming for NCAA the season after.

Surely playing in the u-20 league would have been an option as well? This has been recently employed by Henrik Borgstrom to decent success.

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
Works for me in Canada - thanks!

Cool! I couldn't find a list of the jersey numbers but he has used #22

This is like a training camp and they'll be selecting the players for the Summer showcase in Plymouth.
Vesalainen, Heiskanen, Tolvanen and some others have not been playing at all, I assume they're locks

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
probably said already, but would a Vancouver/Winnipeg Virtanen pole be allowed on the main boards or would that be bad form.

Perhaps after the U20s?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->