Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospects 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Talk to some friends of mine who watch the USHL. Berdin is one of the most talented goalies they have ever seen in that league BUT he is so wild he sometimes makes the easy look hard

USHL is a really good league, but it's a slight step back from CHL. Berdin really should be in CHL where they have more resources for things like dedicated goalie coaches. It's too bad the CHL was dumb and banned import goalies. Because lowering the league's level is going to be a net positive for canadian development.

I like Berdin he's got good potential but still a bit of a project. I imagine he spends next year in ECHL. Comrie + UFA signee will be with Moose.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Leading his team and u-20 Liiga players in points/game.
To be fair, there's little competition. Koivula and Turkulainen have been good and are right behind Vesalainen, and Kotkaniemi has cooled off drastically after his lava hot start. The rest are pretty mediocre.

While doing some stat watching earlier this autumn, I noticed something quite confusing. Turkulainen was eligible for last year's draft, but went undrafted and is therefore entering the draft once more in 2018. What is puzzling about that? He put up 9 goals and 26 points in 48 games in his draft year. With that kind of production, you'd think that someone would have taken a shot at him in the seventh round, despite his size (5'7"/146lbs). There might be (and very likely is) a lot about his game that I am unaware of, but even still, it's strange.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=199750

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
To be fair, there's little competition. Koivula and Turkulainen have been good and are right behind Vesalainen, and Kotkaniemi has cooled off drastically after his lava hot start. The rest are pretty mediocre.

While doing some stat watching earlier this autumn, I noticed something quite confusing. Turkulainen was eligible for last year's draft, but went undrafted and is therefore entering the draft once more in 2018. What is puzzling about that? He put up 9 goals and 26 points in 48 games in his draft year. With that kind of production, you'd think that someone would have taken a shot at him in the seventh round, despite his size (5'7"/146lbs). There might be (and very likely is) a lot about his game that I am unaware of, but even still, it's strange.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=199750

Turkulainen was not eligible for the draft last year. He has a late birthday (past Sept 15), so 2018 is his first eligible year.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Right right, got my ages mixed up. Anyways being downright tiny on top of not having much of a resume (good 18yo rookie year in Liiga but only made JR.A at 17 even then not dominant) probably combined as to why he failed to get drafted.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Niku played with him last season so I watched him a bit. Liked him a lot and he's skilled but he is very very small. Still figured he'd be drafted anyway.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Talk to some friends of mine who watch the USHL. Berdin is one of the most talented goalies they have ever seen in that league BUT he is so wild he sometimes makes the easy look hard

Hellebuyck describes himself as "big and boring", Berdin is exactly the opposite of that "Avg Size (for a goalie) and exciting". Based on my viewings of him in the prospects tournament he is a throwback to Jonathan Quick and Ondrej Pavelec style goalies (in terms of style not quality) who are few and far in the league these days. Hopefully he ends up being more Quick than Pavelec.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Jody Stallard with a goal and assist last night.

That gives him 17 points in 10 games this year, ( 11 th in W.H.L. scoring).

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Jody Stallard with a goal and assist last night.

That gives him 17 points in 10 games this year, ( 11 th in W.H.L. scoring).
He never seems to get any time in the spotlight. How's his game looking and what could we possibly expect from him?

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I've seen a few Swedish guys on Twitter mention that Cederholm is injured and may have suffered a concussion. Hasn't been in the lineup the last 2 games.

I replied to the HV71 lineup Twitter post in google-translated Swedish, we'll see if they respond. :laugh:

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
As for Berdin being a little 'wild'....Mike Palmateer was like that too. As was Hasek. I am hoping more for the latter...

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
He can make them look as difficult as he wants, so long as he saves enough of them.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
At the Force vs. Stampede game tonight. Berdin has looked solid (not wild at all) with 14 saves in 1 st period. Force didn’t really have any great scoring chances, though.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Berdin now with 34 saves on 35 shots. He was a bit scrambly in the 2nd, but did well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad