Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospects 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He would've been the goalie coach for the Ice Caps at the time...I think his role changed to "Developmental Goalie Coach" when TNSE bought the Thrashers and so they sent him around scouting goalies and keeping an eye on guys in the system. Did the Thrashers/Jets have anyone else in the system besides Petterson-Wentzel and Kasdorf back then? Probably had some free time to scout...and it likely would've been an organization priority considering...

Eddie Pasquale?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Suess vs Samberg play each other in the regionals

IMG_0704.jpg

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Crosby and Malkin were genius picks...

Look at who have been very beneficial on their recent Stanley Cup wins. Ryan Rust, Jake Guentzel, Matt Murray, Etc. Those are developed through the system. They identified players and struck big with them. It's not all about the first overall picks.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Look at who have been very beneficial on their recent Stanley Cup wins. Ryan Rust, Jake Guentzel, Matt Murray, Etc. Those are developed through the system. They identified players and struck big with them. It's not all about the first overall picks.

And yet Malkin,Crosby and Kessel led the penguins in points. I think players have to step up in playoffs for sure but in the end you are only as good as your top players

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Notice that Samberg finished off with 11 points in 38 games this season after a really slow start. Love that kid.

Must have been pretty hot at the end. He seemed to have been stuck at 6 pts for a very long time. :thumbu:

Next season should tell us a lot about him. He's had time to catch up to his peers now.

With his Jan birthdate, will he be eligible for the WJC again?

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Must have been pretty hot at the end. He seemed to have been stuck at 6 pts for a very long time. :thumbu:

Next season should tell us a lot about him. He's had time to catch up to his peers now.

With his Jan birthdate, will he be eligible for the WJC again?

Yes, he'll be eligible again. I'm not sure of the exact criteria, but seems to be based on year of birth. So for the 2019 tournament it would be 1999 born or later.

I checked the 2018 tournament rosters, one similar example was Steenbergen for Canada who was born January 7, 1998.

Reactions: ps241

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes, he'll be eligible again. I'm not sure of the exact criteria, but seems to be based on year of birth. So for the 2019 tournament it would be 1999 born or later.

I checked the 2018 tournament rosters, one similar example was Steenbergen for Canada who was born January 7, 1998.

I vaguely remember something about being < 20 the day the tournament starts. I wouldn't put any faith in my vague memories though. :laugh: Calendar year makes sense, so any Jan B'day would be eligible.

He was good this year. Should be better next year.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I vaguely remember something about being < 20 the day the tournament starts. I wouldn't put any faith in my vague memories though. :laugh: Calendar year makes sense, so any Jan B'day would be eligible.

He was good this year. Should be better next year.

It’s under 20 on Dec 31

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

jets2020champs

Nov 6, 2016
Canada
College prospects going into their UFA status are interesting discussions.

Things to consider.
-Quality of ownership /management/coaching and development.
-Where the team is trending.
-Opportunity in making the team is debatable. Does the player want to be surrounded by good players to develop or learn by experience.
-The likelihood of getting sent down to AHL is very high so that is another item to consider. (Jets/Moose) advantage.

I’m sure many here are more knowledgeable than I am, so feel free to add to this list.

jets2020champs

Nov 6, 2016
Canada
Jets keeping closer eye on prospects with AHL affiliate in-house

This is a long read. Some of you might have read it already. I really like how Josh Morrissey took advantage of having the Jets and the Moose in the same city. While with the Moose, he talks about how he would watch as many Jets games as he can to learn from other great defenders like Doughty, etc.

As a young player, having both the NHL team and the AHL team in the same city would be a great benefit in many ways.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
College prospects going into their UFA status are interesting discussions.

Things to consider.
-Quality of ownership /management/coaching and development.
-Where the team is trending.
-Opportunity in making the team is debatable. Does the player want to be surrounded by good players to develop or learn by experience.
-The likelihood of getting sent down to AHL is very high so that is another item to consider. (Jets/Moose) advantage.

I’m sure many here are more knowledgeable than I am, so feel free to add to this list.

A lot of this comes down to how an individual player views these issues. I like your point about opportunity. One player might see a roadblock, another might see an exciting challenge or an opportunity to learn and develop.

My concern with Suess has been that he is 2 years older than the norm to be at this situation. How that will affect him is anybody's guess but I am thinking he is likely to be less willing to spend time climbing up the depth chart.

Hope Chevy can sell him on the organization. There are still lots of ways he can make his way to the NHL and I think we could use him.

Reactions: jets2020champs

jets2020champs

Nov 6, 2016
Canada
A lot of this comes down to how an individual player views these issues. I like your point about opportunity. One player might see a roadblock, another might see an exciting challenge or an opportunity to learn and develop.

My concern with Suess has been that he is 2 years older than the norm to be at this situation. How that will affect him is anybody's guess but I am thinking he is likely to be less willing to spend time climbing up the depth chart.

Hope Chevy can sell him on the organization. There are still lots of ways he can make his way to the NHL and I think we could use him.

Signing bonus’ always help. And it burns a year out of his RFA.
If he signs during the playoffs, does it go against the cap hit? And how would it be pro rated?

Edit: I guess at his age, he’s not effected with burning a year of RFA.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
If he signs during the playoffs, does it go against the cap hit? And how would it be pro rated?

A couple of things.

- It is not very likely that he is signed to an ELC for this season. IMO the most likely scenario would be to have in effective July 1, and sign an ATO to join the Moose for the remainder of their season/playoffs

-at his age his ELC would be for 1 year and he would be an RFA afterwards. If he signs prior to the end of the regular season his daily cap hit would only be added if he was not immediately assigned to the Moose. After the regular season nothing would be added regardless of whether he was with the Moose or the Jets. In the ATO scenario above he is not considered part of the Jets roster for this season.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

There are a lot of factors. I'm looking at how Suess differs from what we might typically expect. Looking only at those who choose to stay in the NCAA until they get the option to become free agents, he is 2 years older than usual. The team that currently owns his rights is deep at his position. AFAIK, that's it. Otherwise the same as every other NCAA graduate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->