Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Looks like both Virtanen and Vesalainen have been invited to the Finland camp

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
pp
If you look back it's almost like a full rebuild due to skill and a sprinkle of luck.

2011 Scheifele picked 7 adjusted to #1 in a redraft (Kucherov is close Gaudreau is #3)
2012 Trouba picked # 9 adjusted to #2 or #3 in a redraft (Lindholm being #1 but this is close now)
2014 Ehlers picked #9 adjusted to top 4 in the redraft (IMO)
2016 Laine picked #2 franchise changing talent.

That pretty much simulates full tank level rebuild results without bottoming out. In some ways we stole Edmontons first half of their full tank rebuild and only on their second half attempt did they get it right.

Morrissey may be top 6 or so as well.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
That's a pretty reasonable way of looking at I PS, but I don't know if Scheif beats out kuch for number one, though it would be very close.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
That's a pretty reasonable way of looking at I PS, but I don't know if Scheif beats out kuch for number one, though it would be very close.

Kuch is amazing but I think the tiebreaker has to go to the 6'3" 210 pound #1 franchise centre.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the thing is we can see based on data currently available that scoring has high value. There isn't a big enough data set available yet (to my knowledge anyways) to really say one way or the other when it comes to shot based metrics.

So the presumption would be that having good shot differentials in junior would mean you're more likely to be a good NHLer but it can't really be verified at this time.

That's reasonable, and what I had assumed was underlying Garret's perspective.

My sense is that metrics that are robust predictors of success at the NHL level are probably also important for junior players. As a result, my estimation of Nogier's potential is increased by learning that he had elite shot metrics and zone exits in junior. This is combined with my observation that he was quite sharp in his decisions and puck movement during his stint with the Jets last season. Maybe a developing Josh Manson type isn't a completely crazy notion, after all.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If you look back it's almost like a full rebuild due to skill and a sprinkle of luck.

2011 Scheifele picked 7 adjusted to #1 in a redraft (Kucherov is close Gaudreau is #3)
2012 Trouba picked # 9 adjusted to #2 or #3 in a redraft (Lindholm being #1 but this is close now)
2014 Ehlers picked #9 adjusted to top 4 in the redraft (IMO)
2016 Laine picked #2 franchise changing talent.

That pretty much simulates full tank level rebuild results without bottoming out. In some ways we stole Edmontons first half of their full tank rebuild and only on their second half attempt did they get it right.

Add in '13 Morrissey picked #13 adjusted to #10 in a redraft, IMO
2015 Connor picked #17 adjusted to #10 in a redraft, IMO
Those 2 are less dramatic, also less certain at this point but still worth mentioning.

Scheif and Kuch are very close. Scheif playing C is the tie breaker but I'm sure we could get a lot of argument over which is first.

I think Trouba passed Lindholm last year although I'm sure some would argue that as well. I think the real contest is between Trouba and Forsberg. JMO

Only adds to your point though. Jets have managed to get tankers picks. Of course if we had really tanked we would have had additional high picks but that is another story.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I had Connor 4th at his draft and I haven't moved him.

I am expecting a monster season from him and unless Paul screws it up which is a big "if" I am expecting Sarah to insert himself into the inner circle of the GODFORSAKEN Leafs Jets talent debate again. He has a leathal scoring touch and is a very dynamic offensive weapon. My omission of him from the tankrebuild list was not because I don't have ultimate faith in Kyle I just wanted to go with the provens for now.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I had Connor 4th at his draft and I haven't moved him.

McD
Eichel
xxx ?
Marner/Connor

Marner 3 & Connor 4? Or someone else at 3?

There are a couple of Dmen who might have leapfrogged over those 2 and then a couple of others who might still be too close to call. I figured 10 was a safe number. It could certainly be higher in another couple of years.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
McD
Eichel
xxx ?
Marner/Connor

There are a couple of Dmen who might have leapfrogged over those 2 and then a couple of others who might still be too close to call. I figured 10 was a safe number. It could certainly be higher in another couple of years.

You're missing the obvious ;)

1 Zboril
2 DeBrusk
3 Senyshyn
4 Connor

Whileee

May 29, 2010
McD
Eichel
xxx ?
Marner/Connor

At this point, the only sure ones ahead of Connor are those three.

I would probably also put Werenski ahead. Provorov is a maybe, but I'm not as high on him as I am on Werenski.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
At this point, the only sure ones ahead of Connor are those three.

I would probably also put Werenski ahead. Provorov is a maybe, but I'm not as high on him as I am on Werenski.

Yeah, I was thinking of those 2. Rantanen could still land in that top 10 also. The same goes for Barzal.

Marner is ahead of Connor right now. Is he a sure bet to stay there? If all of those stay ahead of Connor, but Hanifin, Zacha and Crouse do not, that puts Sarah at #8 in the redraft. Not bad for missing the lottery. Thanks Sweeney.

Although, If Sweeney takes Connor instead of Senyshyn (he was the real reach) we probably get Chabot. That wouldn't be too terrible. :)

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I am expecting a monster season from him and unless Paul screws it up which is a big "if" I am expecting Sarah to insert himself into the inner circle of the GODFORSAKEN Leafs Jets talent debate again. He has a leathal scoring touch and is a very dynamic offensive weapon. My omission of him from the tankrebuild list was not because I don't have ultimate faith in Kyle I just wanted to go with the provens for now.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think it more than coincidence that his name is a mashup of the two leads? I'm pretty sure Mr and Mrs Connor were Terminator fans, and baby boy became an homage. :nod:

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Yeah, I was thinking of those 2. Rantanen could still land in that top 10 also. The same goes for Barzal.

Marner is ahead of Connor right now. Is he a sure bet to stay there? If all of those stay ahead of Connor, but Hanifin, Zacha and Crouse do not, that puts Sarah at #8 in the redraft. Not bad for missing the lottery. Thanks Sweeney.

Although, If Sweeney takes Connor instead of Senyshyn (he was the real reach) we probably get Chabot. That wouldn't be too terrible. :)

We may have taken Chabot. I do remember that the Jets were very high on Boesser (Van) as well.

Chabot would have filled a huge hole though.

If we drafted him we would not have had to go to a U.F.A. L.D this off season.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I have Connor about 7th right now

Mcdavid
Eichel
Werenski
Provorov
Marner
Aho

After this its a bit of mix. I like Connor anywhere 7th through 11th. It depends on what if you think getting 25 points in the NHL is better then being a top player in the AHL at 19.

I think what Connor did in the AHL during his stint bodes really well. Roslovic is up probably 11th to 15th right now too

I personally think Rantanen is bit overrated. He was force fed minutes on a bad team. I think Connor falls into that group with Rantanen,Beauvillier,Konecy and Zacha. Crouse is around there too.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I have Connor about 7th right now

Mcdavid
Eichel
Werenski
Provorov
Marner
Aho

After this its a bit of mix. I like Connor anywhere 7th through 11th. It depends on what if you think getting 25 points in the NHL is better then being a top player in the AHL at 19.

I think what Connor did in the AHL during his stint bodes really well. Roslovic is up probably 11th to 15th right now too

I personally think Rantanen is bit overrated. He was force fed minutes on a bad team. I think Connor falls into that group with Rantanen,Beauvillier,Konecy and Zacha. Crouse is around there too.

I agree with you about Roslovic. I think he's improved his ranking since draft day. Connor and Roslovic were a couple of very nice picks for the Jets.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I agree with you about Roslovic. I think he's improved his ranking since draft day. Connor and Roslovic were a couple of very nice picks for the Jets.

I have said on here a few times....

If Connor and Rozlo can manage to become the 2015 draft version of Getzlaf/Perry of Ana. 2003 draft success .......... The Jets are going to playoff contenders for a long time.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I forgot about Werenski, which is funny since I was such a fanboy in his draft year. My bad! 5th, for now. I'm very wary to the fact that he may be a few spots later but I have always been very high on Connor.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I forgot about Werenski, which is funny since I was such a fanboy in his draft year. My bad! 5th, for now. I'm very wary to the fact that he may be a few spots later but I have always been very high on Connor.

You and Mark Edwards Garret. If I recall correctly Mark had him in around #6 on his final ranking but I am at the cottage and don't have access to my desktop where I have have that years Black Book.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->