Winnipeg Jets players 2017-18 end of season interviews

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Trouba expressed an openness (he never sounds very eager or enthusiastic about anything) to staying with the Jets. Plans to talk with his agent in the next few days, and then they'll follow up with Chevy. Made it clear that he has no plans to let this drag out very long. He said he'd already been down that road before. Reading between the lines, he didn't sound like someone thinking about dragging this out to the cusp of arbitration, preferring a quicker resolution. He said that the reasons to stay in Winnipeg included his role (liked being on the shutdown pairing with Morrissey) and playing for a contender. Didn't really address the question of long-term vs. short-term deal with the Jets.

Reactions: folix and Tommigun

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Whoever writes a short writeup of those will be the HF Boards MVP ;D

I may provide a synopsis when I get home from work.

Trouba:

Feels there is unfinished business and wants to finish the job. Its fun being part of a contender.

Will talk to his agent in the coming days. Been there done that with hold out and the quicker the better with regards to an extension.

Biggest reason for changing his mind is that he gets to play with Morrissey and that he feels they play an important role. (Seems there is a line up to play with JoMo on this team)

Ehlers:

Wasn't happy with his play in the post season. He intends to get right to work to rectify it. His missed game against the Knights was due to him lying in bed for two days with the flu. The other game he gave a non answer.

Laine would be very open to signing long term this summer as he is very happy here. Beard is getting shaved on Friday.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If Chevy can sign trouba and trade Myers for edmontons first, that's a hugely successful offseason. Anything else is just gravy

That would be very good. Not sure Myers is worth that high a 1st. I would add a bit if necessary. Then again - Chiarelli - maybe he adds a 2nd. :naughty:

There are still a lot of other things that need doing - mostly other contracts.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Lowry & Little both asked if they had significant injuries in the playoffs. Both said they are fine.

There was a follow up as to why Little missed game day skates and then admitted having issues, but never disclosed anything.

Lowry seen smirking the whole time likely alluding to the pile of horse manure being fed. He mentioned nothing about the broken ribs that were reported here on hfboards last week.

Who was the OP regarding Lowry's "2" broken ribs? Oddly the media asked Maurice if Enstrom had broken ribs. Was this a mix-up?

The season is over. There should be nothing left to hide.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Lowry & Little both asked if they had significant injuries in the playoffs. Both said they are fine.

There was a follow up as to why Little missed game day skates and then admitted having issues, but never disclosed anything.

Lowry seen smirking the whole time likely alluding to the pile of horse manure being fed. He mentioned nothing about the broken ribs that were reported here on hfboards last week.

Who was the OP regarding Lowry's "2" broken ribs? Oddly the media asked Maurice if Enstrom had broken ribs. Was this a mix-up?

The season is over. There should be nothing left to hide.

Lowry I found avoided the injury question like the plague. Also it seemed that the players didn't want to make any excuses for not getting the job done which I found refreshing.

Maurice said a good 5 to 6 players would be getting MRI's over the next few days so I would wager a good number just elected not to use I juries as an excuse.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I like the sounds from Trouba. :thumbu:
Done b4 draft would be good, so we can trade Myers for a 1st.

Wonder if Chevy has hinted to Trouba or implied in some way that Myers will be traded if Trouba signs before the draft. That might light a fire under him.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Wonder if Chevy has hinted to Trouba or implied in some way that Myers will be traded if Trouba signs before the draft. That might light a fire under him.

I doubt that has any impact on Trouba.

If I was to speculate, assuming Trouba signs, we might just bring back all of our RHD. The following year, they trade Buff and keep Meyers.

At that point, Meyers takes over the PP, Trouba ups his TOI and we save on salary cap.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Really like the sounds from Trouba. I think him playing with Josh has really upped his confidence in being a long term member of this team. Him and Josh make a great pairing and they are both young, being back to back first round picks of the team they can grow their games together and they seem to have a budding friendship which I think is important to any pairing. These two should be stapled to each other for the forseeable future.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Really like the sounds from Trouba. I think him playing with Josh has really upped his confidence in being a long term member of this team. Him and Josh make a great pairing and they are both young, being back to back first round picks of the team they can grow their games together and they seem to have a budding friendship which I think is important to any pairing. These two should be stapled to each other for the forseeable future.

Then you throw in Buff as the X factor who can sit in the pocket in the 2nd pair doing his thang and that gives us 3 very nice top pairing assets and a hell of a base for the next 3-5 seasons. With guys like Niku, Poolman, Chiarot, Kuli, Morrow (?), you should be able to weld together a decent D core while stripping out some cap space (Toby-Tyler). I realize it feels like there is a bit of a gap there compared to this season but with Cap management we are going to need to adapt a bit. Heres hoping guys like Niku and Samberg slide into the top 4 roles in their ELC years.

I would love to pry a kid like Rasmus Andersson out of Calgary for a forward asset.

nhlpro

Nov 12, 2015
Peg City
Man i thought Buff said You Know alot, but i think Chevy just beat his record on 1290. Imagine a conversation between them both lol

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Trouba starts his discussions with his agent ....

200_s.gif

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Then you throw in Buff as the X factor who can sit in the pocket in the 2nd pair doing his thang and that gives us 3 very nice top pairing assets and a hell of a base for the next 3-5 seasons. With guys like Niku, Poolman, Chiarot, Kuli, Morrow (?), you should be able to weld together a decent D core while stripping out some cap space (Toby-Tyler). I realize it feels like there is a bit of a gap there compared to this season but with Cap management we are going to need to adapt a bit. Heres hoping guys like Niku and Samberg slide into the top 4 roles in their ELC years.

I would love to pry a kid like Rasmus Andersson out of Calgary for a forward asset.

Outside shot to Luke Green too who skates just as well as Niku. Who missed a lot of time but came back late in the Q season as a PPG defencemen.

Reactions: ps241

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Poor Ehlers looks a little defeated. Hopefully he uses this offseason to light a fire under himself. I think we see a crazy good year from Ehlers next season. With the way Laine jabbed him about his "flu" I think it might have been something else under the surface that was affecting him.

nhlpro

Nov 12, 2015
Peg City
Poor Ehlers looks a little defeated. Hopefully he uses this offseason to light a fire under himself. I think we see a crazy good year from Ehlers next season. With the way Laine jabbed him about his "flu" I think it might have been something else under the surface that was affecting him.

Sure hope so, It was almost like he was scared to shoot the puck in the last game.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ehlers will be fine......what doesn’t kill you. Schief REALLY struggled in his first playoffs. Nik will adapt and grow and be ready for our next run.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Reactions: Daximus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad