Winnipeg is Good: Patrik Laine

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Obviously is not written by Pate but based on his interview, really well done and we can assume its even mostly true

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
What a wonderful article!! One thought comes to mind -- sign this guy to an 8 year contract as soon as you can Chevy. Someone who loves where's he's at so much, and has that much dedication to his team & Winnipeg, can you not see him signing a 8 year $55 million contract and everyone (him, us & the whole team) being over the moon. Now is the time to do it Chevy, if we wait for him to see the sort of $ Matthews & some of those guys will demand and get, it will be too late.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
What starts out as Patrik Laine refuting the Sharks players' contention of Winnipeg being the worst NHL city quickly becomes a love letter to the city, the team, and most notable his teammates.

"Best Chirper - Buff"!

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
back in the 90s, it wasn't as much of the case, if i remember correctly. my mom used to spend time with some of the wives. I remember Domi and Zhamnov's wives were the names she mentioned the most.

I think Domi's wife hated the city because of factors other than weather, or a lack of things to do. Whereas Domi loved the city for the same factors his wife hated it for, if you catch my drift.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Not knowing much about economics of hockey, but there are not much that can go wrong (economically) if offering him good long term deal. He has found his home in Winnipeg, being integrated to local circles very well. His market value is only going to rise, and there are surely demand for this type of player in NHL, with skill and PR-worthy face and personality. Last thing I would want to see that Patrik would be forced to go to a mercenary track with his career. Even if his star wouldn't rise to the uppermost NHL-stratosphere in terms of production, we can already see that he can fill his role and niche very well, being most likely at least solid franchise-player with consistent production and contribution in years to come. Jets front office should lock Patrik as soon as possible.

On meta-level, Pate in the Jets roster doesn't lower the image of the team, franchise, and the city of Winnipeg, possibly making it more welcoming in minds of possible free agents, veterans, and if needed... mercs, in the future. Patrik and dark, frozen prairie have very good match IMO. That he has warm heart makes him even better fit. :)

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Wow, can't tell you how many times I smiled reading that :)

So glad that we got this guy, not only for his obvious talent, but the fact that he doesn't tell you all the same things that every other player feels that they need to say. He's really got character, and regardless of the fact that he is becoming a star player, he still acts like kid watching his idols.

Thanks for sharing this, I love it.

That is because he still is a kid. Sometimes I tend to forget that.

Mom and Dad raise their boy well.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think Domi's wife hated the city because of factors other than weather, or a lack of things to do. Whereas Domi loved the city for the same factors his wife hated it for, if you catch my drift.

Also possible is that Domi's wife hated Domo :laugh:

I believe that was one of the reasons Frolik bolted, his wife didn't enjoy it here

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I didn't think it was possible to like him more than I already did. He seems like a really sincere guy, really happy he plays here, especially as an example to the kids that idolize him.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
See no problem getting Laine to resign, he's part of a great core and like he said he wants to win, last time I checked this team is winning and can only get better

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Also possible is that Domi's wife hated Domo :laugh:

I believe that was one of the reasons Frolik bolted, his wife didn't enjoy it here

I think it's one of the unstated reasons for using a "draft and develop" model.

If we can get 'em here young and get them married to local Manitoba girls they'll want to stay forever.

Why do you think Hawerchuk keeps coming back whenever we ask him...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad