OT: Winnipeg Goldeyes discussion - FISH WIN! FISH WIN! Back to back titles!

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I was at Saturday's game and it was tremendous. This is one of the better lineups the Goldeyes have ever fielded. I believe they are playing games 3-5 at home in the final so we will see the championship awarded in Winnipeg.

Did you see Blackthorne at the game. He is obsessed with the Goldeyes.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Pretty excited the Fish have the opportunity to win the Championship at home this year. It's anticlimactic to watch some grainy online feed, follow on Twitter, or listen to the radio...

agreed! last year game 5 feed wasnt great but worse is lack of any Wichita fans - even if they had won last year not sure any Wichita folks would have known.

Really hoping for a repeat this year - Goldeyes deserve to get one at home!

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I wish you would edit out the FISH WIN! FISH WIN! from the thread title. It just feels like a jinx to me. :(

Mods Can.

Game 3 cancelled. That was a bus trip for nothing. At least I didn't pay for parking, and the ticket I bought will be good for tomorrow.

A little sour about how confident the Goldeyes twitter was about the game going on today.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Jon boos had the best explanation for a walk of all time

BALK RULES! IMPORTANT!
1. You can't just be up there and just doin' a balk like that.
1a. A balk is when you
1b. Okay well listen. A balk is when you balk the
1c. Let me start over
1c-a. The pitcher is not allowed to do a motion to the, uh, batter, that prohibits the batter from doing, you know, just trying to hit the ball. You can't do that.
1c-b. Once the pitcher is in the stretch, he can't be over here and say to the runner, like, "I'm gonna get ya! I'm gonna tag you out! You better watch your butt!" and then just be like he didn't even do that.
1c-b(1). Like, if you're about to pitch and then don't pitch, you have to still pitch. You cannot not pitch. Does that make any sense?
1c-b(2). You gotta be, throwing motion of the ball, and then, until you just throw it.
1c-b(2)-a. Okay, well, you can have the ball up here, like this, but then there's the balk you gotta think about.
1c-b(2)-b. Fairuza Balk hasn't been in any movies in forever. I hope she wasn't typecast as that racist lady in American History X.
1c-b(2)-b(i). Oh wait, she was in The Waterboy too! That would be even worse.
1c-b(2)-b(ii). "get in mah bellah" -- Adam Water, "The Waterboy." Haha, classic...
1c-b(3). Okay seriously though. A balk is when the pitcher makes a movement that, as determined by, when you do a move involving the baseball and field of
2. Do not do a balk please

I'd be mad, but this is pure karma for the missed tag call that gave the wingnuts game 3

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
I'd be mad, but this is pure karma for the missed tag call that gave the wingnuts game 3

Agreed.

Regarding the balk - it seems ridiculous but apparently ump yelled it before Turgeon swung. Turgeon swung knowing it was a free swing. If you watch the replays of the short lived Wichita celebration you can see Turgeon casually walking back and Medina (Wichita catcher, who heard the umps call) lack of any celebration.

Absolutely insane game.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Agreed.

Regarding the balk - it seems ridiculous but apparently ump yelled it before Turgeon swung. Turgeon swung knowing it was a free swing. If you watch the replays of the short lived Wichita celebration you can see Turgeon casually walking back and Medina (Wichita catcher, who heard the umps call) lack of any celebration.

Absolutely insane game.

Goldeyes posted highlights to youtube, with the balk, and it actually seems to me he did balk. He starts and stops his motion on the offending pitch. He actually double balks if you watch the video. Really blatant balk, as it needs to be for an ump to actually call it in that situation.

https://youtu.be/Mt31nGZfv6M (4:45) for the balk

I doubt they will play tonight

Last edited:

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Regarding the "freebie" swing, I'm not sure what the rule is in baseball but if Turgeon hit a homerun (or any other hit) on the balked pitch I assume the hit would of been wiped out anyway and the balk would overide it. I don't think its like a football free play like during an offside call on the other team but someone can correct me if I'm wrong here.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Regarding the "freebie" swing, I'm not sure what the rule is in baseball but if Turgeon hit a homerun (or any other hit) on the balked pitch I assume the hit would of been wiped out anyway and the balk would overide it. I don't think its like a football free play like during an offside call on the other team but someone can correct me if I'm wrong here.

Nope it would've counted as a home run. If the batter doesn't advance to first and all baserunners advance at least one base, then the balk grants them that.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Nope it would've counted as a home run. If the batter doesn't advance to first and all baserunners advance at least one base, then the balk grants them that.

Oh wow. I don't baseball rules that bad but shouldn't they just end the play when the pitcher screws up? I would have thought so.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB

Interesting. I thought the play would of been freezed dead when the balk is called but I guess I'm wrong.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Balk is cancelled out if all runners advance safely on a hit ball.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Oh wow. I don't baseball rules that bad but shouldn't they just end the play when the pitcher screws up? I would have thought so.

Interesting. I thought the play would of been freezed dead when the balk is called but I guess I'm wrong.

According to the rules, if the batter hits the ball after a balk is called, and gets a base hit ( or better ) , the play stands as if the balk was never called at all.

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2016/09/08...gnores-balk-call-and-crushes-two-run-home-run

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->