Winnipeg girls win right to play on boys' hockey team

HoustonHockeyNut

Jun 15, 2006
Houston, TX
Hm...if they don't make the team (not saying they won't, just saying "if"), do they wanna play for the "joke" girls team?

If you're the coach of the girls' team, do you let them?

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Hm...if they don't make the team (not saying they won't, just saying "if"), do they wanna play for the "joke" girls team?

If you're the coach of the girls' team, do you let them?

HELL NO ... the girls would gang up on them in practice, just to injure them ... after getting thrown under the bus by these two worthless selfish *****es

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
HELL NO ... the girls would gang up on them in practice, just to injure them ... after getting thrown under the bus by these two worthless selfish *****es

I'd let them on the team but not play them. When and if they complained I would simply say, until you learn what it takes to be a member of this team and put the teams needs before your own. The only ice you'll see is in practice.

jlowry_19

Oct 17, 2004
i know one of the kids on the west kildonan mens hockey team who will probably be the captain this year and the coach had told him that the girls wouldbe cut because they were not good enough

psychonaut

Sep 4, 2003
Well I think there will be some guys the will want to join the girl team, its what I would of done think about it 21 girls and you, would you not join??? ;)

KariyaIsGod*

Actually, the Manitoba Human Rights Commision has already made it clear that this in no way opens the door for boys to join girl's teams. In fact, there is a young man who plays as ringette goalie who is not allowed to play AA ringette with girls despite being plenty good enough. The Manitoba Human Rights Commission will not allow that to change though, illustrating the absolute hypocrisy involved with this case...

And on a side note, the requests have already started flooding into the MHSAA from boys who have been cut from their school teams who want to join girl's teams.

mabus

Mar 28, 2004
www.dalnetdebates.com
Terrible decision.

Especially the damages.

How do these girls expect women's sports to improve when those with talent want to just go and play with men?

Obviously they don't care because they are selfish brats.

Exactly the kind of sentiment that used to be expressed when blacks started playing in the "white" leagues

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Whats he supposed to do? Penalize all the guys because the 2 girls have to get dressed in a seperate room???

In my experiences, the coach talks to the guys throughout the time they get changed....

I coached collegiate women's ice hockey for six years (I'm male).

And I always let the girls know at what point I expected them to be dressed and ready to play. That was the time I was coming into the locker room for pregame. If they wanted to not be dressed at that point, that was their decision.

But I always gave them plenty of time, and I always had enough time to talk.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Exactly the kind of sentiment that used to be expressed when blacks started playing in the "white" leagues

Totally different. No one is trying to be prejudiced against women. Girls sports and boys sports have always been segregated for the benefit of those competing.

Have your cake and eat it to? One sport one team. Let who ever makes it makes. Cancel all women's sports and only the strong survive. No NCAA women's hockey. Just one team. If the women can make it, then good. And the first paralysed women will be on the shoulder of those who fought for her to compete.

In the Olympics, get rid of those pansy *** women's runners who can't do the 100 m in 9.8. They are slow. Why have women's and men's. Just the human 100m dash.

No WNBA, no women's curling, no Women's softball. Either you play the men's sports or you don't.

Either that or shut up.(Obviously that wasn't meant for you, it was for the special interest groups that fight for inane things.)

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
anyone remember last seasons travels of the US womens national team? Recall how they got their hats handed to them by several Boys midget and HS club teams in the mid-west? Gender should not be an excluding factor. Skill should determine the make up of a team.

Those females that are of a high caliber who are allowed to play with the boys are HELPING womens hockey. It proves that a female can compete at or even above the level of their male peers. These same highly skilled females will be afforded the same op to develope their skills alongside the boys and when the time comes to join the Womens team such as in college it will help dispelll the notion that its JUST womens hockey. With team members who have come up through the ranks WITH the boys that factor is eliminated. The kicker...They must EARN that slot, not be given it.

The largest problem I see with most "ladies" teams is the coaching staff who both demand and expect LESS of them than their male counterparts.. Only when the female players and coaching staff demand the highest level of effort will that change.

In the US many schools have had to allow opposite gender students try out for a team when the school does not field a team for each gender. Locally, if a boy does play for the Field hockey team they are REQUIRED to wear the same uniform. It isn't a skirt. Its a kilt, as such.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
anyone remember last seasons travels of the US womens national team? Recall how they got their hats handed to them by several Boys midget and HS club teams in the mid-west? Gender should not be an excluding factor. Skill should determine the make up of a team.

Then the boys who get cut from the boys team should try out for the women's squad. Obviously no boy would fight for the right....and I am sure none of the girl's parents would appreciate a boy being on the team.

My problem is they want both. They want what's his is mine and what's mine is mine. And that pisses me off.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
I'm just going to put my 2 cents in.

If the girls high school team isn't at the same level as them, why not let them play with the guys?

I played on the BOYS baseball team up until I was 18. There were fastball teams for me to play with but I was better than any of the girls I played with. I loved it. They pushed me to be a better player and I am a better player because of it.

I also played boys hockey. I changed in my change room then went into the guy's room for the pre game speech. Big deal.

The thing is, boys and men have more muscle mass and natural strength than girls. But, if there are girls that are able to compete then let them. Should I have played girls softball just because I was a girl?
I did for 2 years. I hated it. No one could catch the balls that I threw, the first year I played I batted over .700 with just about 90 RBIs. It wasn't a team game anymore, it was "lets see how many hits I can get in a game."

When I moved to the guy's team it was way more of challange. It allowed me to hone my skills and to have FUN. Do I regret not playing girls ball? Never.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
I agree...it has to go both ways. I can see a day in the future when HS sports will no longer be labeled male or female. You may see A, B and C varsity as well as JV. This is the world that these suits will bring about. As another poster mentioned it will become a free for all where the women will lose out.

I understand your point T but softball and baseball are not the same sport. Its like calling field hockey and ice hockey the same sport. It would be interesting if the try out was done so that observers doing the evals could NOT pre- determine which of them were girls.

Last edited:

Sammy*

If the girls high school team isn't at the same level as them, why not let them play with the guys?

I played on the BOYS baseball team up until I was 18. There were fastball teams for me to play with but I was better than any of the girls I played with. I loved it. They pushed me to be a better player and I am a better player because of it.

I also played boys hockey. I changed in my change room then went into the guy's room for the pre game speech. Big deal.

The thing is, boys and men have more muscle mass and natural strength than girls. But, if there are girls that are able to compete then let them. Should I have played girls softball just because I was a girl?
I did for 2 years. I hated it. No one could catch the balls that I threw, the first year I played I batted over .700 with just about 90 RBIs. It wasn't a team game anymore, it was "lets see how many hits I can get in a game."

When I moved to the guy's team it was way more of challange. It allowed me to hone my skills and to have FUN. Do I regret not playing girls ball? Never.

Again,if the boy is not good enough to play on the boys team, can he play on the girls team if he's good enough?
I'm sure the feminists would be in an outrage if he was , & would declare a jihad if he got a girl cut as a result.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
I have competed at a very high level of competition and there are reasons why they do not allow boys to play in girls leagues.

At my peak performance I was 5'9, 160 lbs and a body fat percentage just under 10% (9.82).

Did I ever beat a guy in my age category? Sure. Could I ever beat the best? No. Even when I won Nationals my time was still well behind the winner of the men's.

It would be like allowing 15 and 16 year olds who are cut from their teams to play on a 12 and 13 year old team. The muscle mass is compelety different. It becomes a saftey issue. If a girl plays on a boys team its her problem if she gets hurt.

Millions Livio

Nov 3, 2005
Dayton, Ohio
I think having girls on a team with boys is alright when they are younger. But around 14 and up I don't think they should. First you have the obvious problems, then you have the physical level they play in. Higher the age the more brutal it get's.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Decided to drop an email to the MHSAA and the Commission..............

Just wanted to drop a note of disappointment for the ruling against the MHSAA

As someone who has daughters, there is no reason for a school to allow players of the different sex to play on a team when they have one of their own.

If there was no female alternative to the male sport, then I agree that the girls be given opportunity to play in a male sport. My daughter made her high school boys football team here in Alberta. (Obviously no girls team.)

I am disappointed by the adjudicators assesment that the girls have the right to play to their skill level. This mentality is what inhibits the evolution of the women's game when all of the best players don't want to play with their same sex. How is there to be improvement in their game? Due to lack of participation is it OK that WKCI women's folds so Amy and Jesse could play with men?

I endorse equality. I endorse women having the same opportunity to play athletics as men. I endorse women playing on men's teams if they don't have an alternative for their own gender. I endorse when they have come to the end of their own gender amateur athletics to purse professional opportunities in their give sport regardless of gender. (Haley Wickenheiser in professional hockey playing with men.)

But this is none of those. This isn't discrimination, they CHOSE not to play for their women's teams. They CHOSE not to play minor hockey.

In my opinion, they are selfish, and that isn't what hockey is about.

George Bachul.

P.S. Calling the WKCI women's team a joke should point to the hypocrisy of the girls. (Talk about demeaning and disrespectful....the basis of which the damages against the girls were given.)
Excellent job:clap:

BTW ESPN did an "outside the lines" on this subject there are several boys playing Volleyball and field hockey on girls teams due to the title XI lawsuit. Most of the opposing players complain about the advantage the teams with boys have. One Volleyball team had a 6 foot 3 boy playing

Sammy*

I have competed at a very high level of competition and there are reasons why they do not allow boys to play in girls leagues.

At my peak performance I was 5'9, 160 lbs and a body fat percentage just under 10% (9.82).

Did I ever beat a guy in my age category? Sure. Could I ever beat the best? No. Even when I won Nationals my time was still well behind the winner of the men's.

It would be like allowing 15 and 16 year olds who are cut from their teams to play on a 12 and 13 year old team. The muscle mass is compelety different. It becomes a saftey issue. If a girl plays on a boys team its her problem if she gets hurt.
I take it from your post then that boys who dont make the high school golf team should get to play for the girls team, cause then the threat of injury doesnt exist?

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
If the girls can compete at a level equal to or above that of male competitors, they should be allowed to try out for any sport out there. What is everyone so afraid of? I think that answer is obvious.

Sammy*

If the girls can compete at a level equal to or above that of male competitors, they should be allowed to try out for any sport out there. What is everyone so afraid of? I think that answer is obvious.
Then why cant the boys who are not good enough to play on the boys team play on the girls team?
What is everyone so afraid of?

stick9

Aug 12, 2004

Ti you do realize that when you ditch the girls teams for the boys team you are doing two things.

1 - You are being selfish. You've put your own needs ahead of the teams and the game itself. You'd rather leave then stay and help develop the woman's program.

2 - You are lessoning the quality of those girls teams.

If every talented girl played on the boys teams. The girls teams would be a joke and it may discourage other girls from playing that sport. It may even lead to bigger problems where the school or town decides a girls program is not longer needed since the more talented girls are playing for the boys team. Several posters here have hit on that. Would you have wanted to play boys baseball if there were three or four other girls of your skill level on each of the girls teams...I am guessing no.

I look at Michelle Wie. Instead of competing in the LPGA she's focused on the PGA tour. The things she could do for woman's golf by concentrating on the LPGA and winning titles there would be greater then the exposure she'd get playing on the PGA and finishing at the bottom of the bracket.

If woman want woman's sports to be taken seriously. They need to keep the most talented woman in that sport. The woman playing those sports have to realize that and keep in mind that leaving to play with the boys will only hurt the future of woman's sports.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Then why cant the boys who are not good enough to play on the boys team play on the girls team?
What is everyone so afraid of?

Exactly! When a boy says he wants to try out for the girls team. People automatically think he's doing it for reasons other then playing the sport and are not allowed.

It's a one way street and that's a big problem.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Ti you do realize that when you ditch the girls teams for the boys team you are doing two things.

1 - You are being selfish. You've put your own needs ahead of the teams and the game itself. You'd rather leave then stay and help develop the woman's program.

2 - You are lessoning the quality of those girls teams.

If every talented girl played on the boys teams. The girls teams would be a joke and it may discourage other girls from playing that sport. It may even lead to bigger problems where the school or town decides a girls program is not longer needed since the more talented girls are playing for the boys team. Several posters here have hit on that. Would you have wanted to play boys baseball if there were three or four other girls of your skill level on each of the girls teams...I am guessing no.

I look at Michelle Wie. Instead of competing in the LPGA she's focused on the PGA tour. The things she could do for woman's golf by concentrating on the LPGA and winning titles there would be greater then the exposure she'd get playing on the PGA and finishing at the bottom of the bracket.

If woman want woman's sports to be taken seriously. They need to keep the most talented woman in that sport. The woman playing those sports have to realize that and keep in mind that leaving to play with the boys will only hurt the future of woman's sports.

So is Sydney Crosby selfish for leaving the Q for the NHL? Is Ovechkin selfish for leaving the RSL for the NHL? People move on from leagues because they are too good for it and need a higher level of competition, why are we focusing on these two as being selfish?

These girls (and Ti-Girl) want to play at the highest level of competition that they can. Competitiveness is the driving force in sports, and is normally something we applaud in athletes. Wanting to play against, compete with, and ideally defeat the best that they can. No one seems upset when the CHL makes an exception for Crosby or Tavares to play in that league before they meet the requirements (age). But we still don't allow the older players who can't make the CHL to play in a 15 or under age group. And for good reason. This is a one way street because only so many girls can handle playing with men. Just like only in certain special cases can a 15 year old play in CHL.

You look at Michelle Wie and you miss the point entirely. For one, she's only eligible to compete in so many LPGA tournaments a year due to her age. For another, if Wie gets good enough that she can compete with the men, it would be a huge step not for the LPGA, but for all of women's golf. It'd give girls all over, some just picking up the sport, that the ultimate goal doesn't have to be playing in a lesser league, but playing with the best golfers in the world. It may not be best for the LPGA, but it's not good for the AHL that the NHL takes all their best players. What can you do, such is always the situation of an inferior league. You can still keep the LPGA so that women have an arena to compete in, but critsizing anyone for being competitive in sports, and wanting to prove themself against the best competition they possibly can, just seems absurd to me.

ryanz4

Dec 4, 2005
Ontario
www.myspace.com
http://www.winnipegsun.com/News/Manitoba/2006/09/26/1899628-sun.html

The Pandora's Box has opened.

At least half a dozen boys have asked for a chance to try out for girls' high school athletic team since the Pasternak twins won their controversial human rights' case last week.

"The ruling has definitely had an impact," said Morris Glimcher, executive director at the Manitoba High School Athletics Association (MHSAA).

not sure whether or not this has been posted yet...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad