Winnipeg girls win right to play on boys' hockey team

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Terrible decision.

Especially the damages.

How do these girls expect women's sports to improve when those with talent want to just go and play with men?

Obviously they don't care because they are selfish brats.

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
Does that mean that the boys who can't make the boy's team can try-out for the girls team.

I think it's a mistake and continous the precived notion that if a girl wants to play competitive hockey she has to play with boys. As such it will hinder the evolution of girls hockey IMHO.
:shakehead

Last edited:

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Does that mean that the boys who can't make the boy's team can try-out for the girls team.

I think it's a mistake and continous the precived notion that if a girl wants to lay competitive hockey she has to play with boys. As such it will hinder the evolution of girls hockey IMHO.
:shakehead

I was talking about this topic with a co-worker and joked about guys playing on the girls team. He said there were three guys at his school who played on the womans field hockey team.. Of course I asked if they made them wear skirts. He said they wore school shorts instead.

Does this mean I can play on the US womans national team? :D

The Pasternak sisters, who have played hockey since childhood and have been on boys' junior hockey teams outside school, had described the high school girls' team as "a joke."

Wow, I can't believe they printed that.

At that age they shouldn't be playing with the boys team.

bpower

Aug 21, 2005
Of course this does open up the can of worms of boys now trying out for the girls team...

Other than that however I'm all for it. I grew up with a very talented female hockey player who now plays for team Canada and when she played for our high school girls team it was pretty funny to watch. She would play the entire 60 minutes on defense, even though she is naturally a forward and score at will. Racking up 8-9 goals a game without even trying.

How is that helping her game develop, or is it any fun for anyone else on the ice? In these special cases sometimes it's better to let the girls play with the boys.

bpower

Aug 21, 2005
At that age they shouldn't be playing with the boys team.

Why not... the girl I mentioned in my previous post could easily have played on our boys team had she been allowed. She played with boys her age in organized hockey outside the school just fine.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
there were a couple of girls in the high school league I played in. Our goalie for 2 years was a girl. She wasn't great, but she had also just started playing as goalie so for where she was at in her development, she did pretty good

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Why not... the girl I mentioned in my previous post could easily have played on our boys team had she been allowed. She played with boys her age in organized hockey outside the school just fine.

Only because there is more to it then just what's on the ice. On the ice would be the least of my concerns.

A room full of 17 year old boys and two girls is a recipe for disaster.

I've played pick up with a few girls and I have no problem with that at all. Then again we aren't trying to take each others heads off on every shift.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Quote:
The Pasternak sisters, who have played hockey since childhood and have been on boys' junior hockey teams outside school, had described the high school girls' team as "a joke."

If I were a member of the girls' team I would sue the two sisters for:

damage to their dignity and self respect:banghead:

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Quote:

If I were a member of the girls' team I would sue the two sisters for:

damage to their dignity and self respect:banghead:

spot on Messier ... Spot ****in' on :clap: :bow:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
LOL do you want it spelled out for you??

If you had a 16 year old daughter would u want her showering/changing with 20 other guys?

they don't shower and change in the same rooms. they dress in a seperate room and then join the team once everyone is in their equipment.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Just imagine the lawsuits sprawling out of that one :eek:

True...if they were willing to sue for "emotional reasons"

Although i dont think theyd actually be showering with the guys, but they would miss out on a few of the pre-game things that the coaches would be saying as the guys are getting suited up.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
True...if they were willing to sue for "emotional reasons"

Although i dont think theyd actually be showering with the guys, but they would miss out on a few of the pre-game things that the coaches would be saying as the guys are getting suited up.

if the coach is worth a damn, he doesn't start pre-gaming until everyone is in the room.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
if the coach is worth a damn, he doesn't start pre-gaming until everyone is in the room.

Whats he supposed to do? Penalize all the guys because the 2 girls have to get dressed in a seperate room???

In my experiences, the coach talks to the guys throughout the time they get changed....

See, this is where the main problem lies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
no, this isn't the main problem at all. The fact that these girls have played on other teams with boys/men outside of the school league without any apparent problems would seem to put your arguments to rest.

the main problem is the impact this has on developing girls hockey programs, and also the BS stuff they sued for and won. Like the free lessons and money.

I've played on teams with girls, and it isn't a problem.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
no, this isn't the main problem at all. The fact that these girls have played on other teams with boys/men outside of the school league without any apparent problems would seem to put your arguments to rest.

the main problem is the impact this has on developing girls hockey programs, and also the BS stuff they sued for and won. Like the free lessons and money.

I've played on teams with girls, and it isn't a problem.

How do you know there werent any problems? Have you surveyed their team mates?? Its a 2 way street. Sometimes guys dont like having girls on the team....for many different reasons.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
they don't shower and change in the same rooms. they dress in a seperate room and then join the team once everyone is in their equipment.

How is that being part of the team?

How can a girl expect to be treated as an equal when you require special provisions?

Honestly, I could see their point if there wasn't a girls team.

Sammy*

I wonder if I'm too crappy too play for the mens team if I get to play for the chick squad?
What a joke.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
I wonder if I'm too crappy too play for the mens team if I get to play for the chick squad?
What a joke.

Make sure you tell the coach you don't want any special treatment. You are fine with showering and changing in the same room. :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Decided to drop an email to the MHSAA and the Commission..............

Just wanted to drop a note of disappointment for the ruling against the MHSAA

As someone who has daughters, there is no reason for a school to allow players of the different sex to play on a team when they have one of their own.

If there was no female alternative to the male sport, then I agree that the girls be given opportunity to play in a male sport. My daughter made her high school boys football team here in Alberta. (Obviously no girls team.)

I am disappointed by the adjudicators assesment that the girls have the right to play to their skill level. This mentality is what inhibits the evolution of the women's game when all of the best players don't want to play with their same sex. How is there to be improvement in their game? Due to lack of participation is it OK that WKCI women's folds so Amy and Jesse could play with men?

I endorse equality. I endorse women having the same opportunity to play athletics as men. I endorse women playing on men's teams if they don't have an alternative for their own gender. I endorse when they have come to the end of their own gender amateur athletics to purse professional opportunities in their give sport regardless of gender. (Haley Wickenheiser in professional hockey playing with men.)

But this is none of those. This isn't discrimination, they CHOSE not to play for their women's teams. They CHOSE not to play minor hockey.

In my opinion, they are selfish, and that isn't what hockey is about.

George Bachul.

P.S. Calling the WKCI women's team a joke should point to the hypocrisy of the girls. (Talk about demeaning and disrespectful....the basis of which the damages against the girls were given.)

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Decided to drop an email to the MHSAA and the Commission..............

Just wanted to drop a note of disappointment for the ruling against the MHSAA

As someone who has daughters, there is no reason for a school to allow players of the different sex to play on a team when they have one of their own.

If there was no female alternative to the male sport, then I agree that the girls be given opportunity to play in a male sport. My daughter made her high school boys football team here in Alberta. (Obviously no girls team.)

I am disappointed by the adjudicators assesment that the girls have the right to play to their skill level. This mentality is what inhibits the evolution of the women's game when all of the best players don't want to play with their same sex. How is there to be improvement in their game? Due to lack of participation is it OK that WKCI women's folds so Amy and Jesse could play with men?

I endorse equality. I endorse women having the same opportunity to play athletics as men. I endorse women playing on men's teams if they don't have an alternative for their own gender. I endorse when they have come to the end of their own gender amateur athletics to purse professional opportunities in their give sport regardless of gender. (Haley Wickenheiser in professional hockey playing with men.)

But this is none of those. This isn't discrimination, they CHOSE not to play for their women's teams. They CHOSE not to play minor hockey.

In my opinion, they are selfish, and that isn't what hockey is about.

George Bachul.

P.S. Calling the WKCI women's team a joke should point to the hypocrisy of the girls. (Talk about demeaning and disrespectful....the basis of which the damages against the girls were given.)

:clap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->