OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2024 Season Thread - Pre-Season starts Mon May 20 at Sask 3pm (Watch on CFL+)

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Walter's builds from the trenches - they will take an OL first and then at ST prob chris-ike

If they were worried about receiver they could have just paid Oleary

Reactions: The Blue Baron

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Blink and you'll miss it Global draft went off at 10am this morning.

Bombers picks
8Winnipeg Blue BombersFABIAN WEITZLBCologne Centurions (ELF)
8 (17)Winnipeg Blue BombersLUCKY OGBEVOENDBTirol Raiders (ELF)

3 Down Nation did a little preview from ALL22 for Global Draft and had this to say about the 1st guy selected...
7) LB Fabian Weitz, Cologne Centurions (Germany)

HT: 5107 | WT: 228 | HND: 90 | ARM: 310 | WNG: 750

BP: 24 | VJ: 30 | BJ: 9040 | 10YD: 1.58 | 40YD: 4.77 | 3C: 7.09 | SS: 4.53

A stocky, short-armed linebacker who is still young enough to develop, Weitz effectively keys and diagnoses in the run game with good burst to press his gap and the lateral quickness to track outside runs. He shows functional spot-dropping ability in coverage as well, though his lack of ideal size and length will be a concern when evading or engaging second-level blockers at the pro level. At the very least, he is a proven contributor on special teams from his time as a backup at the University at Buffalo.

Player role: Core Special Teamer | NFL status: Unsigned

The 11-20 players were behind a paywall on the ALL22 Substack, so I won't be able to get any more than that.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
It looks like 2 out of the 3 teams that have drafted so far are picking futures
Hmmm?

Mardner will be in camp for Ottawa. He's a long shot rookie camp invite, and he's coming off a year as a backup.

Hergel is a deep futures pick though. And a may never come north candidate.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Hmmm?

Mardner will be in camp for Ottawa. He's a long shot rookie camp invite, and he's coming off a year as a backup.

Hergel is a deep futures pick though. And a may never come north candidate.
Please tell me both the Riders and the Argos screwed the pooch.

Even if it’s not true, please tell me that.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Riders took Hergel. If the NFL gives him up, he's probably a star G (Desjarlais level). Big if though.

Argos got Mital. Which sucks cause he's the best WR in the draft. Mardner who went to OTT probably higher upside, but Mital is more familiar with Canadian football obviously having played uSports and just more of a instant impact profile, IMO.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Riders took Hergel. If the NFL gives him up, he's probably a star G (Desjarlais level). Big if though.

Argos got Mital. Which sucks cause he's the best WR in the draft. Mardner who went to OTT probably higher upside, but Mital is more familiar with Canadian football obviously having played uSports and just more of an instant impact profile, IMO.
“Please tell me that both the Riders and the Argos screwed the pooch.

Even if it’s not true, please tell me that.“

• Haha
Reactions: Holden Caulfield

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
And...the Lions got the guy I was kinda leaning towards for the Bombers in the past few days in G George Una.

I hate that Barker has been all over this panel pumping Melique Straker's tires, but he might be the guy to get here.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Bombers move down still have a chance at a good DL
They now pick at 13, 14, 17, and 20. 4 second Rounders. They'll be getting some real good players.

Calgary reaches for OL. I think Bombers probably wanted Una or Dumoulin-Duguay and when they went they just traded out to really restock the cupboards.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Straker, Okpoko, Brubacher, Wiebe, Beaulieu all on the defensive side still available. Lots of talent there.

OL Gabe Wallace might be there as well as the last of the "top" tier of readily available OL. Maybe Bombers go futures with a Theo Benedet as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad