OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2024 Season Thread - Off-Season Mode - Draft Upcoming April 30

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Bombers break from tradition. They take a guy with significant NFL capital invested in him. Giovanni Manu. He was drafted in Round 4 by the Detroit Lions. He's going to be in NFL for awhile probably.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Bombers 2024 Draft Picks
13. WR Kevens Clercius, Connecticut
14. RB/FB Michael Chris-Ike, Delaware State
17. G Gabe Wallace, Buffalo
20. DT Kyle Samson, UBC
37. LS Ian Leroux, Laval
40. G/C Ethan Kalra, Waterloo
46. G/T Giovanni Manu, UBC
55. WR AK Gassama, Manitoba
64. C Michael Vlahogiannis, McGill
73. DL Owen Hubert, McMaster

The first 4 are the players to watch. After that we've got at least 3 players who are returning to school (Leroux, Kalra, Hubert), 1 who's NFL committed (Manu), and some long shots.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Bombers 2024 Draft Picks
13. WR Kevens Clercius, Connecticut
14. RB/FB Michael Chris-Ike, Delaware State
17. G Gabe Wallace, Buffalo
20. DT Kyle Samson, UBC
37. LS Ian Leroux, Laval
40. G/C Ethan Kalra, Waterloo
46. G/T Giovanni Manu, UBC
55. WR AK Gassama, Manitoba
64. C Michael Vlahogiannis, McGill
73. DL Owen Hubert, McMaster

The first 4 are the players to watch. After that we've got at least 3 players who are returning to school (Leroux, Kalra, Hubert), 1 who's NFL committed (Manu), and some long shots.
Successful draft, or nah?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Successful draft, or nah?
I'm far from an expert. It's a healthy mix of normal Bomber type drafts it would seem though. Bombers tend not to go "flashy". This is once again certainly not "flashy" other than the late Manu selection, but that's a huge long shot to pay off. The guys here I kept hearing/reading things like hard working, love contact, plays better than they tested (gamers). Pretty much what they always target.

I was a big fan of Clercius. He was the guy I was low key kinda hoping on at 8. Was hoping for some variation of Striker, Benedet, Brubacher, Wiebe, and Chris-Ike in the 2nd. So getting two of those targets is nice. Filled some key holes, IMO.

With Clercius they get a guy who honestly sounds so much like Bailey. Loves to engage from his WR position, great size, good hands, enough speed even if not a burner. I think he's a quality depth pick. With Demski, Wolitarsky, 2023 3rd round Jeremy Murphy and Clercius you have a real solid Canadian WR corps with plenty of depth. Clercius is a guy who can probably stick on the roster and contribute alot more on ST than a Murphy can so he's got good odds on being on the roster.

Chris-Ike just fills a huge need. They were so desperate to get a FB on the roster last year they used an American LS in Damien Jackson for many games. They needed someone who can come in and block just a little, catch out of the backfield a little, and add some value on ST. It sounds like this guy can do that, while adding some additional depth at RB in emergency situations. He seems like he could be a player like Ante Milanovic-Litre.

Gabe Wallace was the bottom of the "top" tier of OL available. Will need some time to adjust to the Canadian game, likely needs to cut some weight. But has upside and time in Winnipeg where he'll serve as the 7th OL this year.

Samson I don't know much about. Sounds like a pure interior guy. With Lawson, Thomas already on the roster and the fact that they made no move to replace Ricky Walker makes me think they might try to run 2 Canadians on the interior. They have Tanner Schmekel also returning, albeit I think they might be moving him to OL (EDIT: Sorry I might be getting Schmekel and Kornelson from last year mixed up as it might be Kornelson they tried to move to OL last year). So we'll see.

As for the rest, alot of futures picks. Not a bad strategy considering with how packed their roster is it's going to be hard for any later guys to crack the roster. A long term replacement for Benson is nice. It sounds like the U of Manitoba guy is an electric playmaker, but likely just too small. But if he can overcome that he could even be a player for them.

Only thing I'm a bit mystified about is that they didn't draft a LB/STer. With the Briggs retirement and injuries/retirements having held back some of their other recent draftees I felt there was a need to add depth there. They didn't do that here. They did draft 2 LB/DB STers in the Global draft which I know very little about, maybe they think one of them can step right onto the roster and help out there. Or they feel a returnee like Max Charbonneau can make the roster and contribute. Not sure. I watched Charbonneau in camp quite a bit (LB's seemed to be right in front of us when I went to camp each time last year) and he looked stiff and awkward so I'm not holding out much hope there, but we'll see.

Overall I'd say they did fine. But we won't really know until at least the start of the year. Ideally you'd like to see those top 4 all crack the roster.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I would say successfull. I'd say top 3, after the Rider's, Stamps

I respect your opinion, and hell you probably know better than I as I don't follow college/university sports. However based on everything I've read and seen this off-season...

I don't rate Sask's draft that highly myself. Hergel is a good gamble late in the 1st, but at 3rd? IMO Sask needed help along OL now, and Hergel has a decent shot to stick in NFL. Bombers took Gray a few years ago at 8 which is a more appropriate spot for a undrafted FA signee with under 100k in guarantees.
Wiebe is going to miss most if not all of his rookie year with an injury. Again 12 seemed high for that.
Straker in the 4th seems like great value, but him sliding that long tells me some teams just flat out removed him from their boards. Wonder why that is.
Ajou Ajou may as well just get a tattoo on his forehead of a red flag. Poorly testing, poor work ethic, can't stick in any program. It's a fine flyer in the 7th on a guy who was once considered in the same category as a John Metchie, but that was a LONG time ago, several teams ago in fact.

Calgary was just so-so as well, IMO. That DB they got seems to be highly thought of. Gotta like the upside there. I think they panicked with the trade up to reach for an OL at 8. Their 3rd rounder doesn't really grade out as a CFLer. St-Cyr appears to be a steal in the 8th, but again I'm naturally leary of sliders as that means alot of teams passed on him a bunch of times.

To be honest, my favourite draft was the Tiger-Cats. Dumoulin Duguay in the first looks like a real solid OL. Brubacher in the 2nd has massive upside, in fact many are predicting he'll be signing down south in a year or two. Like a Kongbo or Uguak. Various reasons had those NFL level measurable guys in CFL and after a year or two as depth guys in CFL they signed in NFL. Many predict that's what will happen with Brubacher and his elite testing, but needs more refinement in his technique. But the upside is drool worthy. Peterson in the 4th is a quality RB, one that has a strong possibility to outperform his draft slot. I think he'll carve out a nice career with a Johnny Augustine/Keenan Lafrance type career as a floor. Baker and Townsend were two UBC LB's I was hoping the Bombers would target in the late rounds as LB/STers.

And honestly the damn Argos had a good one. Mital in the 1st is a potential home run, then some solid potential guys, particularly all around the line. Only pick I didn't like in Dankwah as I don't think he'll ever adjust enough to be a CFLer, but otherwise looks like a solid class.

Reactions: macmaroon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad