Winning Games We Shouldn't

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I apologize if this isn't worthy of it's own thread, but I think this is a telling example of the shift in talent this team has undergone.

In a season a team is bound to lose games they shouldn't and win games they shouldn't. For many years we've pretty much lost all the games we should, and never won a game we shouldn't. When I say should and shouldn't I'm obviously talking about teams that are better or worse and also the results that are anticipated by the way our team played that night.

Well, you can already see this season we are winning some games that we shouldn't have based on our play, which is really encouraging. This is what good playoff bound teams do throughout a season and we've already stolen quite a few points early this season. Pretty exciting in my book. I hope we can still continue to escalate our play but stealing some of these points early has been awesome!

What do you all think?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I feel like we play to the other teams skill level. I love seeing this team beat LA, ANA, ARI, etc. but we could really cement ourselves in a nice position with some of those easy wins. I could easily see our next three games going like this:

Colorado: 5-4 W
Tampa: 4-2 W
Florida- 5-2 L

I'm interested to see how we do with some consistent goaltending now.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
They probably should have lost the Dallas game in addition to the Boston game, I'll give them the win vs the Rangers although I really feel if the Rangers had been able to make that a 2 goal lead that game was probably over, Halak kept them in it. At the same time they probably should have won the Sharks game as well as the Jets game, no doubt that 5 minute penalty killed them, and the Jets have been playing out of their mind ever since that, that penalty could possibly be the turning point of their season.

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
even the last game with the yotes , last year we probably would have lost late in the game off a flukey goal... to see us pull out the win with less than 3 minutes... super encouraging

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
This franchise in the past has always teased with unpredictable runs... remember a few years back they Detroit at home 6-0 with Bruno the Chef scoring a goal and I believe they beat Chicago on the road and Pittsburgh at their best in that same run, believe that was JT's rookie season.

But this team is much better than that on paper outside of their coach... The fact that we are nearly 1/4th of the way into the season at 9-5 is very unchartered territory in this millennium for sure.

My gut feeling is that Snow is going to go for the Cup already this year, if you can get a guy like Yandle and deal de Haan in the package, then you have upgraded seriously. Come down to the tradeline and land a guy like Doan or Iginla then you have your veteran forward.

This team will always be schizophrenic in their victories and losses, traditionally struggled against Carolina and Florida, so far this year they have only lost to one bad team and hopefully they avenge that on Tuesday

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
This franchise in the past has always teased with unpredictable runs... remember a few years back they Detroit at home 6-0 with Bruno the Chef scoring a goal and I believe they beat Chicago on the road and Pittsburgh at their best in that same run, believe that was JT's rookie season.

But this team is much better than that on paper outside of their coach... The fact that we are nearly 1/4th of the way into the season at 9-5 is very unchartered territory in this millennium for sure.

My gut feeling is that Snow is going to go for the Cup already this year, if you can get a guy like Yandle and deal de Haan in the package, then you have upgraded seriously. Come down to the tradeline and land a guy like Doan or Iginla then you have your veteran forward.

This team will always be schizophrenic in their victories and losses, traditionally struggled against Carolina and Florida, so far this year they have only lost to one bad team and hopefully they avenge that on Tuesday

love your optimism bud but I don't know if we can say Ny Islanders and cup run in the same sentence yet ...haha... lets hope Ur right !!!

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
love your optimism bud but I don't know if we can say Ny Islanders and cup run in the same sentence yet ...haha... lets hope Ur right !!!

Like I said in the other thread, this dream Cup run is contingent on trading some futures... plying Yandle and Doan in a deal for 3 futures (CDH, Lee and Pulock) would go a long way, would leave the team with no glaring holes.

To me the biggest holes besides Pk, are having a dman that will put up 50 plus points and having a rugged veteran forward.... you put Doan with JT and JT becomes a 100 point player, and Doan probably gets into 5 fights in the remaining 65 games.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I may be greedy but I also do not want to lose games that we shouldn't.
No NHL will just roll over for us, but when we play the Buffalo's, Panthers of this league we have to come away with the two points.
There are very few tap ins and it is great that we can rise to beat a top team, but as the season gets along, beating those teams will be harder, so we have to take points from the bottom feeders when we should or we will be bottom feeders.

BroadwayJay*

Didn't we have a thread where we predicted what our record would be through 15?

We should dredge that up and see how we did.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
I apologize if this isn't worthy of it's own thread, but I think this is a telling example of the shift in talent this team has undergone.

In a season a team is bound to lose games they shouldn't and win games they shouldn't. For many years we've pretty much lost all the games we should, and never won a game we shouldn't. When I say should and shouldn't I'm obviously talking about teams that are better or worse and also the results that are anticipated by the way our team played that night.

Well, you can already see this season we are winning some games that we shouldn't have based on our play, which is really encouraging. This is what good playoff bound teams do throughout a season and we've already stolen quite a few points early this season. Pretty exciting in my book. I hope we can still continue to escalate our play but stealing some of these points early has been awesome!

What do you all think?

One thing that impresses me is how they bounce back after multiple losses in a row. Lose two in a row, win two in a row; lose three in a row, win three in a row. That is what playoff teams do; you always see the best teams go through a stretch where they loose a few in a row, but bounce back strong.

I think that is huge for this team, and it is huge for this team to win close games. The core group of guys are fragile emotionally, and when **** starts running down hill, everything seems to fall to pieces. I think the guys they added not only help on the ice, but also help these guys from breaking down after tough losses.

the difference between a good season or bad, usually comes down to beating teams that are perceived, or actually worse than you--amongst other things.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
@CAR - W
CAR - W
@NYR - W
SJS - L
@PIT - L
TOR - W
@BOS - W
DAL - L
WPG - W
@COL - W
@SJS - L
@ANA - L
@LAK - W
@PHX - W
COL - W

I'm predicting 10-5 through the first 15. I think they come storming out of the gate with JT going ham.

I may have been off with the games but with a win tomorrow they are exactly where I think they would've been ;)

I suck at calling games though. I'm 7-7 in predicting if they win or lose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad