Winners and losers of the 1st round?

Blues077

Jun 7, 2006
They admitted that they tried to trade down. Couldn't find a suitor for what they wanted, I guess. I don't blame them for not trading down if they couldn't get what they wanted.

Take what you can get then. And still get a guy that was not rated by most as a top ten guy. Geez, how much could they have wanted? The Blues got a 1st,2nd and 3rd for moving down 4 spots. Hickey better be worth it or they screwed up real bad. Sorry for you guys, because LA is building a great team.

Brownie

Aug 16, 2006
Richmond
My thoughts on the draft:

Loser: Tough to call anyone a loser when these kids haven't even made the NHL. But Edmonton looks the loser right now. Gagner was a nice pick, even though they could have have Voracek (maybe they didn't wan't another version of Hemsky?). The Plante pick made me laugh. I've read his skating is pretty bad. The Nash pick confused me as well. This guy was pretty much a consensus 2nd round pick, yet the Oilers trade up 9 spots to get him?

Winner: Rangers. How Cherepanov slipped to them is a mystery. I think this guy is gonna be a big time goal scorer in NHL and all the teams that passed on him are really going to regret it. I was hoping Nonis would trade up for him.

- The Hickey pick was stunning, but he's a solid player for sure
- I though Calgary was taking Esposito for sure until they moved down. Sutter seemed high on him

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
Come on folks- give Phoenix its due here for FINALLY being able to get a really decent draft pick in Turris- I can not believe so few include the Yotes in the winners. This guy will be a great cornerstone of an offensive talent hopefully for a long time- along with some of the other up and coming ones from the past few years like Mueller it really looks like the Yotes are getting some young offensive talent coming its way.:clap::clap:

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003
i was surprised to hear that too... the agent said that the nhl was definitely willing to discuss it, as well. is there any precedent for this in the entry draft?

I hope it nevers happens. The OHL made a mistake by letting Tavares play a year before the limit. I sure hope the NHL doesn't change their rules because of him. The rules are the rules and they must be respected without any exception.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Take what you can get then. And still get a guy that was not rated by most as a top ten guy. Geez, how much could they have wanted? The Blues got a 1st,2nd and 3rd for moving down 4 spots. Hickey better be worth it or they screwed up real bad. Sorry for you guys, because LA is building a great team.

Exactly...get value...get the more valuable asset.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Esposito at 20. We will not know for some time of course, but right now that is looking like the steal of the first.

The Kings headscratcher at pick four has to be, right now, the loser pick.

what if Esposito is Mike Riberio 2nd?

Blues077

Jun 7, 2006
Cherepanov's agent Jay Grossman

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2007/...v-to-new-york-may-not-be-a-struggle/#comments

Can we stop with the "I want to thank the people of Columbus for their hospitality and I want to thank John McConnell and I want to say hello to our fans at the draft party at the the local strip joint"...it becomes very irritating.Have Bettman make the selections like the commissioners of the other leagues do.Nice and simple

This is what makes the NHL Draft better than other drafts. NFL only lets 10 players or so come to the draft. Gives the men behind the scenes some recognition. I was at Nashville and St. Louis drafts and its great for the fans to hear stuff like that. Gets everyone pumped up.

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003
what if Esposito is Mike Riberio 2nd?

In what do they compare ?

I've seen many games of the remparts and the habs to tell you that they are VERY different player... I just don't understand how they are similar...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
it is hard to pick winners with very few of these kids making any kind of impact within the next 2 years, and the fact that the majority of the players that will make it to the NHL are picked in rounds 2 and beyond. I think the second round is going to be pretty solid with Sweatt, Cross, Hoeffel, Brennan, Smith, Mayorov, Moller, Cohen, Katic, Maclean, Aliu, Larson, Tyrell, etc.. all still to go. Some gems will be picked in round 2.
But as of right now I will say..

Winners
Sharks- I mean thats just amazing. I miss Doug Wilson from his Blackhawk playing days, but man is this guy something else. Walks away with Couture and Petrecki for peanuts, thats how you run a franchise folks. Everytime he walked to the podium he had that confident smerk on his face. He knew he just commited a robbery.

Blues- When you have 3 picks, I think you have a lot less pressure to try and find that 1 player; here they did a great job by going all over the board getting 3 solid players..eller, cole, and perron. Cole and Eller will be solid ones. they could have traded away a pick or 2, but why, they loaded up in 1 draft what it takes some teams to accomplish in 3.

Hawks- yeah yeah, I have my homerism, but man we could have screwed this up. With all the "trade" talk, and the rumor that we were going to take Turris, I thought we would blow this. But low and behold Tallon does right, and picks the best player in the draft. You have to be a winner when you leave with Pat Kane after the draft, I mean look at L.A..Hickey at 4???? Hawks could have chosen Sutter @ 1 for the love of God! Like I said, draft T.J Brennan and Billy Sweatt in round 2, and Jerry Maguire aint got nothing on me...(you complete me!!!!)

Canadiens- Gainey definitely surprised me here. Two very solid picks with McDonagh and Pacioretty. He has drafted pretty well throughout the years, this year is no different.

Losers
Edmonton- what the hell was Kevin Lowe thinking? Whats up with his Western Canada kids comments? I am all for drafting your own country, but atleast draft the best ones from that country or province. Gagner should be a good one, but I am baffled by the other 2 picks. Alex Plante is a major project, but he could have had him in the second round. :help:

L.A- ummmmmmm, what kind of drugs were you on Dean to make that pick??? I am all for going off the board (I even put Pacioretty at 5 in my mock), but Hickey @ 4 is insane. I dont even see the upside with him. Why not Alzner, Ellerby, or McDonagh?? I know he landed Jack Johnson for a bag of pucks and some tape, but build on that momentum, not burry it. :shakehead :shakehead

N.J, Atlanta, and N.Y.I- no picks in the first round, and all 3 didnt get too far in the playoffs..hope those rent a players were worth it boys. :handclap: :handclap:

Limbo
N.Y.R.- Cherepanov may well be the steal of the draft, or he may well be another headache that asprin couldnt help. We wont know how this turns out for about 2 years, but if any team can pull it off, its the Rangers

Penguins- I dont think Esposito is a steal at all. He dropped like a brick for a reason...Hes just not that great. He will have plenty of talent in Pitt when he arrives, but all that talent will continue to hide his shortcomings. They compare him to Daigle for a reason, and thats not a comparision that I would want.

bagh

Jun 3, 2007
I thought the Oilers were the losers for one major reason. The trade up to #21. I thought they could have gotten the kid they wanted @ 30 and didn't have to give up the #36 pick. They might have been able to get Nash there too.

OnYourIgnoreList

Dec 21, 2006
d) The fans booing Stevey Y - I know he used to play for our divisional rivals in Detroit and all, but booing him like that was a shame. We have great fans in Columbus (look how many showed up), but to boo a sure fire hall of famer and all aournd class act like like Steve Yzerman was embarassing as a Blue Jacket fan.

Well, I was at the draft in section 213 and I can say, with almost 100% certainty that the vast majority of people who were booing the Wings actually STOPPED when Stevie Y came to the podium (Me and another HFer turned to each other and agreed, you just can't boo the man). But I will say that the fans of one of the Wings' other rivals were very lustfully booing the whole time, and that's throughout the entire arena, not just that section.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
In what do they compare ?

I've seen many games of the remparts and the habs to tell you that they are VERY different player... I just don't understand how they are similar...

somebody made a joke on leafs lunch why would montreal want Mike Riberio 2 when they were talking about the habs and esposito. I take it the comparison comes from fact they both sort of skinny and skilled.

gr8haluschak

Jul 25, 2004
i love how you sit there and talk about the Plante and how it was a waste of a pick: The guy went through a huge growth spurt this year and was STILL one of the best d men in the WHL, he was on par or better than his d partner Alzner and when Alzner was gone he held his own pretty good, and for the record I doubt there is any way that he gets past Calgary in the draft so no they would not have had him at 30th, I also love how TSN thinks the Oilers had a good draft but yeah what do they know.

Transported Upstater

His agent is trying to get him into next year's draft, they were talking on the broadcast with him. Interesting.

It won't work. His agent is just coming off as a jerk, IMO.

If they didn't do it for Ovechkin, who missed the cutoff by one day, they won't do it for Tavares, IMO, who misses it by nearly a week.

spence___

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
It won't work. His agent is just coming off as a jerk, IMO.

If they didn't do it for Ovechkin, who missed the cutoff by one day, they won't do it for Tavares, IMO, who misses it by nearly a week.

It's still his agent's job to try.

The NHL could always change the eligibility date. That way there would be no exception.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
And Cherepanov is not a bigger steal than Esposito. Let's remove the biases for our respective teams and look at them as they are - two tremendously skilled players with a number of issues that caused them to drop. We should both be thrilled to grab players that had no business whatsoever being around at 17 and 20. Personally, I'd have prefereed Cherepanov because of positional need, not skill. They both could become amazing players.

I honestly do think that Espo was taken right in the area he should have been taken (even maybe 5 or so picks too high). I'm know that I'm in the minority and I think the Pens could have gotten him a few picks lower if they wanted, but why bother if they actually wanted the guy?

I'm not a fan of his at all and I think he went *around* the area he should have.

I'm not trying to sound like a downer on you guys -- I'm just saying what I've been saying for a long time now. Not like I've had a "change of opinion" on him or anything here at least :).

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Espo can skate.

Exactly. The Daigle comparison is more accurate. The kid can skate like the wind, as could Daigle. Daigle just could not do much else well. Nor did he have his heart in the game. Obviously 19 teams had some questions in some areas about Esposito as well. Pens' fans obviously are hoping that it is more the usual picking apart a front runner that we have seen far too many times. Time will tell. But back to what you said. Obviously the Ribero comparison is silly. Daigle is the comparison that gives some pause. But at 20 he certainly was by far the best risk out there.

justdanickoftime*

its funny all you people are on the pens bandwagon and saying how espo was a steal, he maybe, but the pens have no d, and most likey will be knocked out of the first round of the playoffs next year because they have no d, this draft had alot of young D talent, and they didnt get it

ThatOneGuy*

Losers:

Detroit- Brendan Smith

Talk about droping the ball.Drafting a player that we don't need, about five picks too high.Petrecki and Mayorov were there for the taking and we passed up. Great move:shakehead:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad