Wings vs. Wild – Tale of the tape

• Thread starter HFNHL Red Wings
  • Start date

HFNHL Red Wings

All of Detroit is a buzz as the motor city prepares for game one of a series that is too close to call. Here’s a look at some of the numbers.

Detroit Minnesota
Home and away records 19-16-6 home vs. 20-17-4 away
25-10-6 away vs. 27-10-4 home
Goals for 270 271
Goals against 215 217
20+ goal scorers 6 6

Despite these relatively equitable numbers there are some subtle advantages for Detroit:
(i) While the goals for are equal the source of the goals varies significantly. The Wild are heavily dependant on their top two lines while the Wings gets more contributions from the 3rd line as well as their blueline than the Wild.
(ii) Special teams – while neither has a decided advantage on the PP or PK, discipline could be a key factor. The Wings have one of the lowest PIM/game ratios and with Darcy Verot expected to be scratched for game one (140PIM) that stat should drop further. As a result Detroit should have more PP opportunities than their opponents and will look to capitalize on them.

Aside from containing Minnesota’s top two lines the other area of concern for the Wings will be in net. While Burke has played well he continues to be plagued with ‘fatigue’ issues and has required way too many days off as a result. A long drawn out series would advantage the Wild.

This series really could go either way.

Mar 1, 2002
HFNHL Red Wings said:
Despite these relatively equitable numbers there are some subtle advantages for Detroit:
(i) While the goals for are equal the source of the goals varies significantly. The Wild are heavily dependant on their top two lines while the Wings gets more contributions from the 3rd line as well as their blueline than the Wild.
(ii) Special teams – while neither has a decided advantage on the PP or PK, discipline could be a key factor. The Wings have one of the lowest PIM/game ratios and with Darcy Verot expected to be scratched for game one (140PIM) that stat should drop further. As a result Detroit should have more PP opportunities than their opponents and will look to capitalize on them..

Detroit's 3rd and 4th line combined for 69 regular season goals. Minnesota's had 81.

Minnesota averaged ONE more penalty minute a game. I don't think 1 penalty every other game will change the tide of the series.

It will come to Burke vs. Cloutier.

:dunno:

HFNHL Red Wings

Wild GM said:
Detroit's 3rd and 4th line combined for 69 regular season goals. Minnesota's had 81.

Minnesota averaged ONE more penalty minute a game. I don't think 1 penalty every other game will change the tide of the series.

It will come to Burke vs. Cloutier.

:dunno:

They only scored more if you count all the goals Gelinas scored while with Atlanta on the top line ;)

I didn't use actual numbers originally b/c of all the trades skewing things but you forced me to resort to looking at all the box scores after the trade deadline and it actually turned out to be relatively even.
Note: We both did some line juggling and had injuries so I just used the most recent lines as a guide.

Minnesota (23gms) Detroit (25gms)
Top 2 lines 47 51
3rd/4th 15 16
Blueline 11 14
Gms only top line scored* 7 (5 in 3+ goal gms) 5 (2 in 3+ goal games)

It should be noted that the margin was a little wider but in the Wild's 2nd last game where they blew out the Flames 8-2 only 3 of them came from the top 2 lines.

In regards to PIM it will be a 2+ min difference with Verot on the bench.

P.S. I'm getting tired of this board screwing the spacing ... is there something I'm missing?

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
HFNHL Red Wings said:
P.S. I'm getting tired of this board screwing the spacing ... is there something I'm missing?

You mean something like this... :D

[pre]
Minnesota (23gms) Detroit (25gms)
Top 2 lines 47 51
3rd/4th 15 16
Blueline 11 14
Gms only top line scored* 7 (5 in 3+ goal gms) 5 (2 in 3+ goal games)
[/pre]

use "[pre]" start and end tags ( denoted with a / in front of pre ) next time... That way the formatting should stand... :teach:

HFNHL Red Wings

Well I'm not exactly celebrating atm Greg. Your guys took out Roberts for not only the remainder of this series but probably the 2nd round if I make it that far.
Aside from losing a goaltender, Roberts might have been the worst injury that could occur to my team. Lidstrom is as important but at least I have some depth to compensate on D, Roberts IT and experience is soooo important to my team his loss is irreplaceable.
Now the series goes back to Minny with me only having two capable LW's. This series truly is still anyone's to win.
I just hope I don't become the HFNHL equivalent of the Montreal Canadiens as a result.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
HFNHL Red Wings said:
I just hope I don't become the HFNHL equivalent of the Montreal Canadiens as a result.

You have my condolences on a tough loss for your Habs last night, Drew. They played well in the series, and deserved better than to go out on a flukey goal like that.

on the bright side, you have more to celebrate - and look forward to - than the so-called "Leafs Nation". Just ask Kruegs...

Vaive-Alive

Mar 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Ohio Jones said:
You have my condolences on a tough loss for your Habs last night, Drew. They played well in the series, and deserved better than to go out on a flukey goal like that.

on the bright side, you have more to celebrate - and look forward to - than the so-called "Leafs Nation". Just ask Kruegs...

Argh. Why bring that up...

I plead ignorance and proudly predict for the 33rd time in my life ( I couldn't speak nor write in my first year ), that the Leafs will win the Stanley Cup next year. I have my ignorance, and ignorance in this case breeds hope - blind as it may be. Better to be an ignorant, proud man with hope, than a hapless, whining waif.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Vaive-Alive said:
Argh. Why bring that up...

I plead ignorance and proudly predict for the 33rd time in my life ( I couldn't speak nor write in my first year ), that the Leafs will win the Stanley Cup next year. I have my ignorance, and ignorance in this case breeds hope - blind as it may be. Better to be an ignorant, proud man with hope, than a hapless, whining waif.

I think in my case it's less helpless, whining waif than a certain degree of self-hatred, clinging to a hope I know full well is futile, or at least poorly founded. Still one of the faithful, just slightly disgusted at myself for that fact. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->