GDT: Wings vs Flames vs HF Servers

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Vrana was really on the 3rd line tonight? There is no reality on this roster where he shouldn't be on line 1 regardless of who is or isn't playing. Then add Fabbri and Bertuzzi out, and you have a mind bottling coach decision right there.
If you look at the TOI at the end of the game it does look more like what was listed as the 3rd line at the start of the game was actually played as the 2nd line.

Erne had 11:43 TOI, almost all of which was even strength but he was listed on the 2nd line. Vrana Gagner and Veleno finished with around 15 mins ES TOI.

Reactions: Oddbob

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
So much gloom and doom. Why can't Yzerman draft an impact player 9th - 12th of the draft?
And why can't Yzerman hit on a stud later in the draft?

*If the only way to build a playoff contender is through a draft lottery every year, then sure... Wings are doomed. Note: that's not how Yzerman built TBL.
Have people really been lamenting that about YZerman's drafting?

Mostly I see people mentioning how the Rasmussen, Zadina and Cholowski picks by Holland set the rebuild so far back.

But I agree re: playoff contenders. Sure it's great when you have a Malkin and Crosby to build around, or Toews and Kane along with Keith. But it's not the only way to the Cup.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
And thanks to Yzerman we already have Seider and Raymond. Based on current NHL production, one could easily make a solid argument they both should be #1 picks in their respective class in a redraft.

I'm not a big Stamkos fan. I don't think he's a major pivotal piece in their current dynasty. Hedman is a stud.
Having a guy good for 40 goals and 90 points in a full season that isn't pivotal is a pretty nice luxury. And Raymond is still a question mark, who plays a non-premium position.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Having a guy good for 40 goals and 90 points in a full season that isn't pivotal is a pretty nice luxury. And Raymond is still a question mark, who plays a non-premium position.

It is a nice luxury. They also won a cup handedly without him.

Stamkos having four 90 points seasons in his NHL career is great! But that "question mark" Lucas Raymond is about to outscore Steven Stamko's rookie season.

Reactions: Realgud

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
It is a nice luxury. They also won a cup handedly without him.

Stamkos having four 90 points seasons in his NHL career is great! But that "question mark" Lucas Raymond is about to outscore Steven Stamko's rookie season.
Playing 14 minutes a night, when he was 18 and as a center, playing on the third line. Not on the top line, as a winger getting nearly 19 minutes a night on the top line. Based on total TOI for their first seasons, Raymond is within 100 minutes of the total Stamkos played in his first full season, after only 59 games.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Playing 14 minutes a night, when he was 18 and as a center, playing on the third line. Not on the top line, as a winger getting nearly 19 minutes a night on the top line. Based on total TOI for their first seasons, Raymond is within 100 minutes of the total Stamkos played in his first full season, after only 59 games.
So you're telling us that Raymond will have the same amount of points as Stamkos (when he reaches the same amount of TOI) playing against first liners instead of third liners? Good to know.

It goes both ways.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Raymond is a really nice piece, but the thing about scoring wingers is that they need scoring centers. A good center can elevate middling wingers, but a bad center kills the whole line.

If the Wings were able to land a real second line center it would change the entire team.

In terms of drafting, a cursory glance at draft results from 2009-2018 indicates that, on average, ONE player picked 8-12 from each year becomes a legit impact player. Those aren't good odds. If I could trade the 8OA as part of a package for a legit top-pair guy or top-6 center I do it in a heartbeat.

Reactions: raymond23

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Raymond is a really nice piece, but the thing about scoring wingers is that they need scoring centers. A good center can elevate middling wingers, but a bad center kills the whole line.

If the Wings were able to land a real second line center it would change the entire team.
How about the Hawks?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
So you're telling us that Raymond will have the same amount of points as Stamkos (when he reaches the same amount of TOI) playing against first liners instead of third liners? Good to know.

It goes both ways.

Good eye!

It is nothing short of amazing that Raymond, while playing less total minutes, will have more points than Stamkos did in his rookie season. That's stuff doomsdayers don't want you to see. It doesn't fit their agenda.

I feel like right now Red Wings are roughly in about the same position as TBL were in when he became their GM back in 2010. Except Larkin, Bertuzzi, Vrana, Fabbri are much younger than MSL and Lacavaleir were. In terms of rebuilding, not in standings.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
How about the Hawks?
They were outliers with an insanely deep team, an all-time great coach, and Patrick Kane in his prime was a generational talent. He didn't need a center. Detroit isn't deep, has a bad coach, and has no developed generational talents.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

It goes both ways.
Raymond is playing with the best players that Detroit has, which are much better than the players that Stamkos is playing with. He's also getting top PP time. It really doesn't go both ways, because there're a lot of counterfactuals that are at play here. Like Stamkos being groomed to be a top line center, being over a year younger, playing lower in the lineup, with less PP time, with worse players, and at a time the league was scoring 10% less points. We've seen young offensive wingers explode in their first full season only to regress to good but not elite pieces before. Remember the Nyquist explosion where he scored 28 goals and 48 points in 57 games?

Reactions: 14ari13

Realgud

Nov 4, 2013
Raymond is playing with the best players that Detroit has, which are much better than the players that Stamkos is playing with. He's also getting top PP time. It really doesn't go both ways, because there're a lot of counterfactuals that are at play here. Like Stamkos being groomed to be a top line center, being over a year younger, playing lower in the lineup, with less PP time, with worse players, and at a time the league was scoring 10% less points. We've seen young offensive wingers explode in their first full season only to regress to good but not elite pieces before. Remember the Nyquist explosion where he scored 28 goals and 48 points in 57 games?
Ok fair enough, but now you're going in a different direction with the Nyquist example. But ok: I've been pounding Raymond's drum for a long time so you're talking to the wrong person if you think I'll compare Ray to another winger who might regress after their first season. To me Raymond is gonna be the complete opposite. And I go with eyes rather than stats here, so you can disagree if you want but Raymond has always been underrated around here and he'll keep being underrated until he shows he can be that first line elite 2-way winger. I have zero doubt that he'll achieve that. It's ok to be pessimistic though, I'm pessimistic about certain players and prospects, it's just opinions, but I've always been very high on both Seider and Raymond and they've only constantly proved themselves, I have no reason to start doubting them now.

I don't know how you can watch Raymond with your eyes and think what he's doing is unsustainable or some sort of explosion. If anything, he's still quite tentative and getting used to the league. He has an obvious lack of stamina and is quite passive in the way he plays with his linemates as Larkin is still the driver of that line. Raymond's game can only go up from here, it makes almost zero sense to think otherwise.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Ok fair enough, but now you're going in a different direction with the Nyquist example. But ok: I've been pounding Raymond's drum for a long time so you're talking to the wrong person if you think I'll compare Ray to another winger who might regress after their first season. To me Raymond is gonna be the complete opposite. And I go with eyes rather than stats here, so you can disagree if you want but Raymond has always been underrated around here and he'll keep being underrated until he shows he can be that first line elite 2-way winger. I have zero doubt that he'll achieve that. It's ok to be pessimistic though, I'm pessimistic about certain players and prospects, it's just opinions, but I've always been very high on both Seider and Raymond and they've only constantly proved themselves, I have no reason to start doubting them now.

I don't know how you can watch Raymond with your eyes and think what he's doing is unsustainable or some sort of explosion. If anything, he's still quite tentative and getting used to the league. He has an obvious lack of stamina and is quite passive in the way he plays with his linemates as Larkin is still the driver of that line. Raymond's game can only go up from here, it makes almost zero sense to think otherwise.
He's the type that will be defined if he can take the real next steps, which is to be able to sustain his production consistently AND be able to adjust to other teams now planning for him and building matchups against him. The latter is why Nyquist took a step back.

Realgud

Nov 4, 2013
He's the type that will be defined if he can take the real next steps, which is to be able to sustain his production consistently AND be able to adjust to other teams now planning for him and building matchups against him. The latter is why Nyquist took a step back.
Ofc, isn't that the case with basically everyone except generational players?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
They were outliers with an insanely deep team, an all-time great coach, and Patrick Kane in his prime was a generational talent. He didn't need a center. Detroit isn't deep, has a bad coach, and has no developed generational talents.
It was it the point to compare us to the Hawks.

And if we do compare us to them, you take them at their peak while we are still looking for right pieces.

Anyhow, the point is the contender can be built different ways.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
The difference is Nyquist was 2nd or 4th rounder, while Raymond is 4th overall.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
And Zadina and Ras were both top 10 picks. Doesn't mean much.
Nyquist was a 4th rounder for a reason. He put ok numbers entering his prime surrounded with much better players. Raymond is a 19 years old kid on a very bad team.
There is no quarantines in this league, but Raymond has odds in his favour and I believe he will be capable of carrying a line.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
The flames won the cup beating us with Suter hockey. Then the important game vs the avs they lost 3-0. Lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad