GDT: Wings vs Caps | 7:30 EST | FSD

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Sh#t call, but they were in no position to half-a$$ the end of the third like they did. Shouldn't have gone to overtime.
Yeah I know. Helm gets the EN like he should have. It's over. We wouldn't be talking about it right now. What is it with this team and scoring EN goals?? Every other team can do it but us.

Reactions: DetroitRed

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
I didn't think this was a dive. More like he lost his footing. The refs always give stars a benefit of a doubt. Great shot btw.

I was more pissed with Hands of Stone Helm missing the open net.
Earnin that fat contract. Thanks Holland.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Ovechkin should have been a soccer player.

By calling bs penalties like this, the league is virtually sending the message that if you dive, you get powerplays. The only result from calls like this is more and more diving. Ovechkin is so strong on his skates, yet slight contact makes him go flying? The league is so uptight about slashing and faceoff violations, how about cracking down on ballerinas like Ovechkin?
"Bobby Orr" Ovechkin. Such a f***ing chump

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
abby missed more great chances than helm did tonight. This is not a competition that we should be having though

Abby is the proof that Holland/Babs Jr haven't found a square peg they don't want to force into a round hole. As bottom 6 forwards Helm and Abby represent terrific depth. As top 6 players they represent asset mismanagement.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Washington is sick. Beautiful plays to create a load of quality chances. They can slow things down and get open for each other like Detroit in the 2000's. Pure puck possession. I'm curious the possession stats this game. With Ovi playing great they look to be a contender yet again.

Mrazek was good. Very nice goals from Tatar and passing by Z. If Abdelkader was a scorer or Nyquist was stronger damn there were chances. Helm was one of our best forwards he was noticeable and involved. The Wings had a few good shifts in each period, sustained pressure and shots in close, but if you judged the game by shots wow you missed the show.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
most important takeaway from this season so far is that larkin is looking like a top 6 center again. Tonight was his best game yet. That looked like the larkin we saw in the first half of his rookie year

Mrazek was great but i am not getting my hopes up for him until he starts stringing together several games in a row like this

It might be because I have low expectations for this season, but i have actually found this team to be entertaining to watch so far

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
We outplayed or at least played even with Tampa, Toronto and Washington and walk away with 1 point. I know we're supposed to tank the season but when the team is playing like this it still sucks to not get rewarded. Let down by special teams or goaltending against Tampa and Toronto, and in this one really just a BS call in OT. Should take more than that in overtime, but I don't think we've ever had an overtime against Washington where they don't get a PP so it was expected.

Still waiting for Mantha to step up a bit more though. Every game he seems to have a few shifts where he turns it up and creates some chances, but needs more consistency. Larkin keeps being awesome this year.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
larkin much more patient with the puck this year so far, slowing down and finding the open players.

honestly, the offense doesn't look half bad this year. looks like the players actually kind of know what they are doing out there.

Reactions: Ezekial

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
We outplayed or at least played even with Tampa, Toronto and Washington and walk away with 1 point. I know we're supposed to tank the season but when the team is playing like this it still sucks to not get rewarded. Let down by special teams or goaltending against Tampa and Toronto, and in this one really just a BS call in OT. Should take more than that in overtime, but I don't think we've ever had an overtime against Washington where they don't get a PP so it was expected.

Still waiting for Mantha to step up a bit more though. Every game he seems to have a few shifts where he turns it up and creates some chances, but needs more consistency. Larkin keeps being awesome this year.

At this stage of the season it's the points that matters, so for this team to have honorable losses against this type of opposition is tough. Plus we wasted a good backup performance. Good teams will get even better later on, it's easier to take points off them now. Gonna be important to beat the teams you're supposed to beat going forward to stay in any sort of playoff race.

As for Mantha there are too many soft chip plays with a 50/50 adress. But he's doing OK. Production will drop though if he doesn't get more good shifts/game.

Yeah I know. Helm gets the EN like he should have. It's over. We wouldn't be talking about it right now. What is it with this team and scoring EN goals?? Every other team can do it but us.

That's largely because we don't play our skill guys in defensive situations very much, relative to other teams. Guys like Helm, Glendening and Abdelkader don't see the ice well enough to make easy passes to score easy ENGs.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I've got to say that I expected 1 or 2 points from these last 3 games but the team has looked much better than I expected. When you see guys like Frk causing Washington turnovers in the neutral zone...its a little bit amazing. They are carrying the play quite a bit and it's so much better than if they tried to sit back in a shell. Adding AA's speed will be huge especially if he uses it in both directions. Fun to watch this team at least, I'd like to see them Vs NJ.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
We are playing pretty good hockey in my opinion. I think the guys are giving good effort most nights.

I don't expect the world out of this team, I am happy with the way they have opened the season. Hopefully AA can add something to the lineup.

I thought the Wings had a good second period and really stifled Washington.

But the Caps had great chances - far better than the Wings' chances - in the first and third.

Now, quality chances don't always equate to goals. But in terms of quality chances, Washington completely outclassed Detroit.
Mrazek kept the Red Wings in the game.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Wings struggled to create traffic at the net and create 2nd/3rd chance scoring opportunities.

Green had another good game generating offense.
Defense was horrendous which is par for the course.
Zetterberg with another strong start to the season, but his 20:44 ATOI through eight games is very telling.
Blash is coaching to keep his job. Unfortunately for him, he is destined to be fail.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Big shout out to Dylan Larkin. One of the best games of his young career!

The stick handling and passing was just filthy from Larks. Here is to hoping he keeps it up! Tonight was the first game in a while that his feet were moving at 100 percent and his brain was a step ahead.

It's also nice to see Dylan doing so well at face-offs, overall great game aside from the late penalty ( which inevitably cost us the game)

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Big shout out to Dylan Larkin. One of the best games of his young career!

The stick handling and passing was just filthy from Larks. Here is to hoping he keeps it up! Tonight was the first game in a while that his feet were moving at 100 percent and his brain was a step ahead.

It's also nice to see Dylan doing so well at face-offs, overall great game aside from the late penalty ( which inevitably cost us the game)

I agree, this game left me more impressed with him than any other...and that was against Kuznetsov! The goals will come soon, at least he's putting up assists like never before. . I'm gonna rewatch his shifts later today I think.

Last edited:

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Blash is coaching to keep his job. Unfortunately for him, he is destined to be fail.
I don't know about that. I feel like the Wings are overachieving despite the latest results. It's not a very good team, it actually reflects well on Blashill in my eyes. They are doing something right. The laughable goaltending in Toronto and the (didn't want to harp on this one) brutal tripping call were just "c'est la vie" in the NHL.....the effort was there against more talented teams.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Dylan Larkin looks fantastic tonight. He's showing some great hands. Hope he keeps it up and it's not just a one time thing.

He's come out looking like a legit top 6 center this season. I didn't think he'd be this good, no way.

I hope he can close it out.

Larkin is a ****ing beauty too btw, he's playing so well tonight just getting better as the game goes on.

I did not get to see this game, but sounds like he did well,

I theorize that Larkin was actually partying too much last year. I'll bet management even came to him for a sit down talk at the beginning of the summer. Probably said something like, "we don't care if you are a home town kid", you gotta smarten up, and start preparing like a professional, or we will trade you. that probably got his attention. And I bet he had responded very well, and that is why we are seeing such an improvement this year :)

Last edited:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Mantha had a good game despite not getting on the scoreboard. Had a lot of great shots placed on holtby, set up some beauties - specifically one to Frk in the 3rd. Drove the net, generated chances... that's all we an ask of Mo

good rebound after a poor game in toronto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad