Wings Top 20 Prospects

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
Lots of time rebuilding my fathers empty cubboards. After years of chasing cups. Even though my father may not have seen it it was time to blow it up. First round exits werent enough for fans.

1st) Kaspari Kapanen

Orignally 2nd on this list, with the trade of Connor he moves up. He proved why i liked him putting up over a point per game in his second North American season. His call up led to clutch goals. The question is if his full time career is with the Leafs, who seem to love often injured Shosnikov, and Zach cant score with Matthews Hyman more.

Projection : Top 6 scoring winger

2nd) Caleb Jones

I dont think ive heard a name asked about more in trade, since i drafted him. Younger brother of Seth Jones, made the move to Portland and has since seen his stock sky rocket. Still unsure of where he sits in a depth chart, potential top 2, but more likely a top 4 who will see AHL action this season.

Projection: Top 4 two way defender

3rd) Pierre-Oliver Joesph

Talented defensemen,who plays for a rather weak QMJHL team in the Islanders. Tools are all their to be a top 4 defender in the future, once again nothing elite solid 2 way defender.

Projection: Top 4 2 way defensemen

4th) Klim Kostin

Such a mystery here, he could very well be the best prospect in his draft. Or he could be a guy who amounts to 0 NHL games. A big boy at 6'3 he can skate, shot and doesnt shy away from physical play. A shoulder injury is abit of a concern as it held him out since January. However St Louis drafting him 31st, makes me confident they see a star on the rise they can bring over like Tarasenko.

Projection: Top Line scoring winger.

5th) Alexei Lipanov

Not very often you hear the words, Russian and complete game. However its seems alot of reports say the same thing. Coming over to Barrie next year puts my mind at ease, that he wants to play here. Alot of reports call him, Toews, Kopitar, Larionov. Big praise im hoping the center can live up too.

Projection: Top 6 2 way Center

6th) Jon Gillies

Gillies is ready to be the Flames back up this season. In his w games in the NHL he looked calm poised and ready for the next step. Hes a huge goalie that is very athletic, at 23 with a 35 year old starter infront of him. Its likely he could see a starting gig sooner than later if he can prove hes up to the challenge.

Projection: NHL Starter

7th) Ostap Safin

He falls not because he cant become one of the best on this list, but because he cant seem to keep his game at an elite evel consistently. Hes a big boy, who can play hockey needs to grow into his frame abit more and work on consistentcy. If he can overcome that, he could very well be a top talent for years to come.

Projection: Top line/6 scoring winger.

8th) Dillion Dube

An undersized winger, however he has the skill set to over come this. Hes a good shot, and strong skater he played good for a rather mediocre WJC squad. The reason he finds himself below a few bigger risks is upside isnt there as much, on top of that due to his size his NHL chances are abit lower if his offense does not translate to Pro leagues.

Projection: Top 6 scoring winger

9th) Austin Cangelosi

A small sized center who likely converts to wing if he can make the NHL. Is tenacious and played well for Boston College. Turning pro in 8 games he was a plus 3 with 2 points. Might be a smart enough player to play in a bottom 6 role. However likely he needs to be a top 6

Projection: Top 9 2 way winger

10th) Nick Schneider

This is where my list starts to get interesting and could change based on opinion. Schnieder is seen as a project goalie. He has played on a rather awful team in juniors, the problem is hes going to be tough for playing time in Calgarys system. With Gillies, Riitch, Parsons all ahead of him and McCollum a veteran pressence.

Projection: NHL backup

11th) Adam Tambellini

His offense has translated better than expected, still however projects as more of a top 9 guy. He does everything well, but nothing great. The cap strapped Rangers, could find use for him in the next few seasons.

12th) Jack Sadek

The defender has awhille to go, hes solid but nothing spectacular. He can defend well with a good first pass, still a project but rates to be a good top 6 defender down the road.

13th) Maxime Fortier

Undersized scorer with 195 points in 3 seasons in the QMJHL, despite being passed over again. I place him above the guys below him for now, strickly because i feel he coukd have an impact later on. Potentially a guy who as an overager signs a deal and becomes a bottom 6 scoring winger in the future.

Projection: 3rd line scoring winger.

14th) Sebastian Collberg

He finds himself on this list because despite returning to sweden with no signs of returning. His upside as a top 6 2 way forward is still there. If he returns, its likely with a different organization who might give him a shot. Hes a guy who can move out of this list within the next year or two, or move up depending on his return.

15th) Lane Zabloki

Drafted by the wings will mean he will have plenty of time to grow, hes a solid two way player. The biggest question is, will his offense translate into pros.

Projection: Bottom 6 2 way center

16th) Dylan Blujus

Tampa is desperate for defenders, hes played alright and likely could push for a bottom 6 role in the next few seasons. Projects as a bottom pairing puck mover, whose had some success on a bad Tampa farm system.

Projection: Top 6 2 way defender

17th) Dakota Joshua

Winger with a big frame, plays a dirty game and has some offensive tool to go along with it. Needs to fill in his frame, but could project as a top 9 brusing forward.

Projection: Top 9 Physical winger

18th) Kyle Olsen

A small forward whose hustle and energy is his best assets. He can play a 200 foot game and has enough offensive upside to make him a useful bottom 6 forward.

Projection: Bottom 6 2 way winger

19th) Ben Gleason

A project on his own, his size is NHL worthy. Solid skater with good agility, and passing. Project defender who could be a solid pairing defender if he can fill out his frame.

Projection: Top 6 2 way defender.

20th) Ryan Peckford

Injury marred season, however a complete player with some upside will be interesting to see how he does next year. If he can stay healthy projects as a bottom 6 defensice center.

Projection: Bottom 6 defensive center

Last edited:

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Good list, Kapanen is proving the doubters wrong. Even so, I could see Joseph as the #1 on this list, he's a very underrated player with great hockey bloodlines. Gillies had an unlucky start to his pro career, but he's such a good one. May need a full season starting at the AHL level rather than riding the pine in Calgary, but if something happened to Smith, I don't think Gillies is that far away from being ready to start in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad