Confirmed with Link: Wings sign Frans Nielsen 6 years 5.25m/yr

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
With Datsyuk's body deteriorating and his progressive slump in production, it seems like Neilsen might be a slight upgrade to 38 year old Datsyuk... at a cheaper cap hit.

From reading ISLs board, it sounds like we all will be very happy with the new addition of Neilsen. Well all of us who don't want to see the team tank for draft picks. =D

I'm exciting for the season to begin.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
With Datsyuk's body deteriorating and his progressive slump in production, it seems like Neilsen might be a slight upgrade to 38 year old Datsyuk... at a cheaper cap hit.

From reading ISLs board, it sounds like we all will be very happy with the new addition of Neilsen. Well all of us who don't want to see the team tank for draft picks. =D

I'm exciting for the season to begin.
I agree, I think Nielsen is at worst a side grade of what we would've seen from Pavel this season. Pav was on his ass more last year than every season prior combined.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I don't think that would've been the case in the coming season.

I don't agree with that. Datsyuk wasn't fully recovered from his surgery when he came back and had no training camp to get back into shape and ended up being one point away from leading the Wings in points.

Now he's over a year removed from his surgery and will have training camp to get back up to speed.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I don't agree with that. Datsyuk wasn't fully recovered from his surgery when he came back and had no training camp to get back into shape and ended up being one point away from leading the Wings in points.

Now he's over a year removed from his surgery and will have training camp to get back up to speed.

And even he didn't think he could handle the grind of an NHL season.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006

If there's one guy who we should've really trusted to stay healthy and effective all year, it's the guy who has missed 26, 12, 1 (of 48), 37, 19 and 16 games the past 6 years.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Number of games played and best player are not necessarily related. I'd take 60 games of Datsyuk over 82 games of most of the current roster.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
And even he didn't think he could handle the grind of an NHL season.

That was a storyline created here. I've never heard Dats allude to anything about not being able to handle the grind of an NHL season. Unless you have a source?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
That was a storyline created here. I've never heard Dats allude to anything about not being able to handle the grind of an NHL season. Unless you have a source?

Sorry I guess I'll rephrase that:

Evidence of the last few seasons has shown his body couldn't handle the grind of another NHL season.

I think at this point I'd take a 32 year old Nielsen over a 38 year old Datsyuk. If you disagree fine, tell me when the speculation ends and it's disproven.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
Sorry I guess I'll rephrase that:

Evidence of the last few seasons has shown his body couldn't handle the grind of another NHL season.

I think at this point I'd take a 32 year old Nielsen over a 38 year old Datsyuk. If you disagree fine, tell me when the speculation ends and it's disproven.

Funny that a 38-year old Datsyuk still managed to score nearly the same amount of points as a 32-year old Nielsen while playing 15 games less.

I also believe Dats' PPG ratio was better than what Nielsen has ever had. I like the signing, but Nielsen isn't even in the same echelon as Datsyuk, even a one riddled with injuries.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Datsyuk is a genius and was a genuine franchise player, but was slowing down year after year. Dats in 16-17 would probably put up more points than Nielsen, but maybe not be more effective defensively anymore due to diminishing strength and speed.

But of course, Dats is at that age where he could fall off a cliff phyiscally relatively quickly. He'll be missed massively, but its done now.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Funny that a 38-year old Datsyuk still managed to score nearly the same amount of points as a 32-year old Nielsen while playing 15 games less.

I also believe Dats' PPG ratio was better than what Nielsen has ever had. I like the signing, but Nielsen isn't even in the same echelon as Datsyuk, even a one riddled with injuries.

Funny, Datsyuk played more ES+PP minutes than Frans Nielsen (1291:38 to 1274:09) even playing 15 less games and Nielsen scored 50 points (18-32) to Datsyuks 49(16-33). Nielsen also played on the PK for 161:10 and potted 2 goals. Datsyuk put up 5:36 (0)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Datsyuk is a genius and was a genuine franchise player, but was slowing down year after year. Dats in 16-17 would probably put up more points than Nielsen, but maybe not be more effective defensively anymore due to diminishing strength and speed.

But of course, Dats is at that age where he could fall off a cliff phyiscally relatively quickly. He'll be missed massively, but its done now.

All of Datsyuk's possession numbers were fantastic (relative to the rest of the team), even at the very tail end of his career.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
My issue with this signing is that of all the positions we needed to lock up for a few years, is 2C one of them?

Unfortunately, probably.

Not sure Sheahan can be more than a good 3C. I'd like to believe Athanasiou or Svech can play 2C within the next few years, but I'm not sure that the Wings see either as a solution at center with the precedence they put on two way play.

HockeyinHD

Jun 18, 2006
Number of games played and best player are not necessarily related.

But number of games missed is sort of at least tangentially related to a discussion on the health of a player, right? Which is what I was talking about, right? Number of games played is also not particularly relevant to how well they drive a bulldozer, either... but since I wasn't talking about bulldozers, let's just not mention that, eh?

I'd take 60 games of Datsyuk over 82 games of most of the current roster.

A) I would agree probably everywhere but Larkin, Nielsen, DK, Green (need), and Mrazek.

B) It's possible he would decline to the point where we'd need to add Tatar and Nyquist to that list.

C) Why do you think he'd play 60 games?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
But number of games missed is sort of at least tangentially related to a discussion on the health of a player, right? Which is what I was talking about, right? Number of games played is also not particularly relevant to how well they drive a bulldozer, either... but since I wasn't talking about bulldozers, let's just not mention that, eh?
The original mention was in regards to 'best player', not 'healthiest player'. I understand that 'best' is a subjective term, but to me, that is a measure of talent, not a measure of attendance.

A) I would agree probably everywhere but Larkin, Nielsen, DK, Green (need), and Mrazek.

B) It's possible he would decline to the point where we'd need to add Tatar and Nyquist to that list.
That's fine, but that is in agreement with my comment of Datsyuk still being better than most of the roster.

C) Why do you think he'd play 60 games?
I took the average of the 6 years you listed, which is a pace of 63.5 games played, and I rounded down, both because 60 is a nice round number for approximations, and I figured I'd err on the side of Datsyuk missing more than his recent average number of games at this stage of his career.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Ummm yeah.

Career best 58 point forward is suddenly better than Datsyuk...lol

I take it you think Valtteri Filppula is also better than Datsyuk?

You can't differentiate between a 38 year old Datsyuk, not surprising.

Give me the player that scored at a similar clip last season and killed penalties over 82 games. 1/4 of the season doesn't matter :rolleyes:

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
You can't differentiate between a 38 year old Datsyuk, not surprising.

Give me the player that scored at a similar clip last season and killed penalties over 82 games. 1/4 of the season doesn't matter :rolleyes:

I'll take Datsyuk's elite vision over Nielsen.

But you will see when the regular season starts.

Elite talent makes life easier for everyone. Even if they are 38.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'll take Datsyuk's elite vision over Nielsen.

But you will see when the regular season starts.

Elite talent makes life easier for everyone. Even if they are 38.

Sweet if he only plays 60 games you're missing his elite vision for a quarter of the season.

Edit: Why is it that you always seem to take positions in which you can't be proven wrong (or right) - We won't see when the regular season starts; Datsyuk will be in Russia in an inferior league. You can't show how he would've looked on the team this year.

You'll see you were wrong about Nielsen when the season starts, bruh.

Last edited:

HockeyinHD

Jun 18, 2006
Ummm yeah.

Career best 58 point forward is suddenly better than Datsyuk...lol

A 38-9 year old Datsyuk that's been on a steady decline for a couple years that's highly unlikely to be available for more than 60ish games, maybe less, and likely also limited even within the games he's available?

Uh, yeah.

I take it you think Valtteri Filppula is also better than Datsyuk?

By saying I think one forward is better than Datsyuk I am obviously saying I think every forward in the NHL is also better than Datsyuk.

Man, so glad Datsyuk is gone. We can feature Glendening more!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad