Ansar Khan: Wings recall Landon Ferraro; reassign Zach Nastasiuk to GR

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This callup is really just a PR move just to say Holland gave him a chance before waiving him.

I'm not sure a team in danger of missing the playoffs is pulling PR moves with depth prospects.

The only PR needed for the majority of fans would be answering who the hell is Landon Ferraro.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I'm not sure a team in danger of missing the playoffs is pulling PR moves with depth prospects.

The only PR needed for the majority of fans would be answering who the hell is Landon Ferraro.

Not to mention Landon Ferraro and AA are as close to irrelevant in terms of who has to play well to win games as you can get.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
They don't really have room for Ferraro next year with the contracts on the books, so I doubt they would care if someone picked him up. They might even be helping him audition for a job elsewhere, while adding some new blood to the team with guys out.
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong - waiving him is of no worry to the organization. I'm just surprised they actually did it, you know, for"depth's" sake and all. I'm interested in seeing what he can do since we really have nothing else going lately.

Too bad Callahan is hurt, I'd rather see him get the short stint.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong - waiving him is of no worry to the organization. I'm just surprised they actually did it, you know, for"depth's" sake and all. I'm interested in seeing what he can do since we really have nothing else going lately.

Too bad Callahan is hurt, I'd rather see him get the short stint.

Well he's the most pro-ready guy down there, and we could really use a guy that brings a different dimension. Don't want guys like Cleary playing every game right now.

Holland said when both Nestrasil and Eaves were waived that they wanted to give those guys a chance to play elsewhere, knowing it wouldn't happen here. He seems pretty reasonable about it, and if Ferraro was lost for that reason, I'm sure that would be his sentiment. I don't really disagree with it either. Good for Landon if he can catch on somewhere.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
And Datsyuk looked fine to me out there. He better ****ing play.

Nah, Datsyuk isn't anywhere close to 100%. He was falling quite a bit last night. Still one of our best players even at 70%. :help:

I'm guessing this is the same crowd that still has trouble sleeping because Jan Mursak isn't a Red Wing anymore.

Still haven't gotten over the loss of Mattias Ritola. :naughty:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sheriff Bert

Blash is Trash
Apr 24, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I am actually excited for this call-up. Ferraro has a chance to prove that he is ready for a depth role on an NHL team. If he plays well, he may be a better skating and higher scoring option than Joker for next year. Babs better put him in the lineup tonight. Cleary is only hurting the team at this point.

Jusek

Dec 2, 2009
Well deserved call up for Lando who is playing his best AHL season. Hopefully he does better this time.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
I'll just let his play do the talking. He'll end up getting steamrolled his first shift.

But yup, we definitely need more "speed" guys who can hold onto the puck for less than a second at a time. One of the weakest players on the puck I've ever seen. This callup is really just a PR move just to say Holland gave him a chance before waiving him.

I'm pretty sure both Callahan and Ferraro have already been on waivers this year.

Wings PK has been ugly to watch. Ferraro could help in that regard. He also has a respectable shot that COULD beat an NHL goalie. Unlike the pillows Andersson throws at goal. His speed, shot and PK ability are all upgrades over Joakim and Cleary.

Nastasiak has had a very disappointing 19 year old season. He'll have a tough time cracking the lineup in GR

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
how could it be disappointing, if he was one of TOP5 19-year-old players in ohl? also got some praise in coaches poll.
Exactly! He didn't have a disappointing year. He spent a lot of time in the top 20 scorers, which is nice because that's not really his game. He's not going to be a scoring line player in the NHL, but he'll be a really good depth guy with great character. He's a good PKer and he plays in the corners and in front of the net like you'd want.

He just needs to improve his first few steps. That's the main fault with his game. If he fixes that (and he gets better every offseason), he'll be in the NHL before you know it. Especially if one of Babcock and Blashill is coaching.

Edit: besides, Nastasiuk was playing 3rd line center during the last GR playoff run. He played 5 regular season games and 7 playoff games. It's not like he's regressed. Blashill loves him, so he's definitely going to find the ice after a few practices.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Exactly! He didn't have a disappointing year. He spent a lot of time in the top 20 scorers, which is nice because that's not really his game. He's not going to be a scoring line player in the NHL, but he'll be a really good depth guy with great character. He's a good PKer and he plays in the corners and in front of the net like you'd want.

He just needs to improve his first few steps. That's the main fault with his game. If he fixes that (and he gets better every offseason), he'll be in the NHL before you know it. Especially if one of Babcock and Blashill is coaching.

Edit: besides, Nastasiuk was playing 3rd line center during the last GR playoff run. He played 5 regular season games and 7 playoff games. It's not like he's regressed. Blashill loves him, so he's definitely going to find the ice after a few practices.

That's good to hear thanks for the insight.

Nasty is our prospect I've actually seen the most of in person, curious how he will pan out. My analysis is that he's a quiet player. He's out there for the majority of the minutes and boom the game is over the Sound have somehow won. He is not an emotional or aggressive/overly noticeable player, I don't know if it's a good or bad thing.

So what do you folks think of Ferraro's game tonight? My brother was pissed at him for some reason, stating that Cleary is a much better option. He saw Lando turn the puck over and fall down a bunch of times...I didn't see it. I thought he was passable and hell was part of the Wings win, good for him.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
He was ight. I'd like to give him a few games, one game doesn't tell you enough. Play him over Andy or something if push comes to shove.

Agree. Although that play where he was blasted in his own zone and lost his stick during a Canes swarm was not impressive. Hope he learns quick

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Quiet game from Ferraro. Nothing good, but nothing bad either. Still no chance to outplay Jurco for a 4th line spot with that kind of effort.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I didn't see game. in my opinion he was call up for PK , to ease on Glendeling Miller and Anderson

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Played better than in his last call-up but that's not saying much. He had one really rough shift and otherwise was mostly invisible.

Personally I'm not losing sleep over him potentially hitting waivers next season.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
That was pretty bad. He got pushed around like a little kid out there. Least he wasn't making mistakes to,give up goals like some guys do.,. BUT Ya not impressive at all. That's why he is what he is. Good ahl player bad nhl player.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
He was alright. There was one smart play he made along the boards in the neutral zone where he got the puck off the boards, avoided contact and got the puck deep very quickly and smoothly. I noticed because what usually happens when our guys are in that scenario (especially our defenseman) is that they get blasted before they can move the puck and then end up in a 50/50 battle. Might be a handedness thing but was still nice to see.

On the flip side, he got manhandled like a small child in the defensive zone on that one shift. He was just blasted out of position. That can't happen at this level. Hell, that can't happen at any level. It's one thing to get knocked off the puck but another thing entirely to get physically relocated and lose your stick in the process.

With that said, I think he has an NHL future IF he can gain muscle and/or rectify his conditioning. He's smart enough and fast enough. Now needs to get strong enough.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
He was alright. There was one smart play he made along the boards in the neutral zone where he got the puck off the boards, avoided contact and got the puck deep very quickly and smoothly. I noticed because what usually happens when our guys are in that scenario (especially our defenseman) is that they get blasted before they can move the puck and then end up in a 50/50 battle. Might be a handedness thing but was still nice to see.

On the flip side, he got manhandled like a small child in the defensive zone on that one shift. He was just blasted out of position. That can't happen at this level. Hell, that can't happen at any level. It's one thing to get knocked off the puck but another thing entirely to get physically relocated and lose your stick in the process.

With that said, I think he has an NHL future IF he can gain muscle and/or rectify his conditioning. He's smart enough and fast enough. Now needs to get strong enough.

Exactly. I wonder why he hasn't bulked up yet, he's had more then enough time to do it. If he gained 10-15 lbs he'd be much more effective like you suggest.

Nyquist would be more effective with some weight gain as we'll.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->