GDT: Wings @ Panthers - 7 EST

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
5 in a row without a single point for larkin, wonder if he's gonna completely disappear in the 2nd half like he did his rookie season​
AA has gone 5 in a row without one as well. Mantha only has 1 in 5. None of the young players have looked good recently. Only saving grace is Mrazek has resurrected

I would not be to concerned about Mantha and AA.
Larkin is a different story. For the amount of playing time he gets his numbers are pathetic. There is a reason why this team is at the bottom of the standing. Why this guy is allowed to touch the puck on the pp is beyond explanation.
Big boy hockey begins late dec.. garbage points at the start of the season don,t count...unless you can,t make big time plays when it matters. 20 minute a night guy who can,t score and you wonder why the pp is no good. Any time a player like larkin has more points than mantha and aa your team is going to finish in last place.​

The Wings aren't even close to being in last place, though. I'd also argue that Larkin's slump will be less concerning as long as the effort is still there.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Larkin's ability to gain the zone with possession and room has disappeared lately.
AA hasn't been much good at this either lately. He's constantly tripping at the blueline or getting pushed off.
This line has been frustrating to watch lately.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Whenever it is perceived that a bad call by the refs decides a game, I ask this question:

Did the team give 100 percent effort, play their best game, and have zero other excuses for the loss?

Definitely not. So it just amounts to sour grapes. Next time, if you don't want to run the risk of the zebras deciding the game... Play a heck of a lot better.

so by your logic nobody should be able to hold refs accountable or be upset about a bad call cuz the team could have always played better prior to that?

what happened prior to the call is irrelevant. fact of the matter is there was a tied game with 7 seconds left that was determined by an absolutely garbage call. people should be up in arms about it, otherwise it's just the status quo with the league. hopefully more and more people keep complaining so the league actually does something about it

Reactions: Red Stanley

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
so by your logic nobody should be able to hold refs accountable or be upset about a bad call cuz the team could have always played better prior to that?

what happened prior to the call is irrelevant. fact of the matter is there was a tied game with 7 seconds left that was determined by an absolutely garbage call. people should be up in arms about it, otherwise it's just the status quo with the league. hopefully more and more people keep complaining so the league actually does something about it
I hate the we should have done this crowd who take all accountability away from the refs. Yes had we scored 6 more goals before that the goal would not have mattered. However, thats not the refs responsibility to determine. That was a no goal no matter the score. t especially stings after years of Holmstrom crew jobs.

Reactions: Red Stanley

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I don't care about this goal. I don't care if it was a no-goal. I don't care if Red Wings would have won this game or went in to OT. What I do care about is consistency.

If that is a goal, call all goals like that a goal
If that is a no-goal, call all goals like that a no-goal

Don't make this confusing for players, coaches, announcers and the fans. Let us see the replay and know we are ALL on the same page by the time refs make their official ruling on the ice. Lets have some consistency in the game.

I hate that 2 weeks ago this was a no-goal, this week it is a goal and by the end of February it'll be a no-goal again. And who knows what it'll be in the 1st round of the playoffs vs the SCFs.

When a high profile goalie gets injured, the league will probably "re-evaluate" what goalie interference is again after they suspend the skater for not knowing what is legal or illegal anymore.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
The Wings aren't even close to being in last place, though. I'd also argue that Larkin's slump will be less concerning as long as the effort is still there.

i also think we don't have to worry about larkin. 5 games... he is 21 and so far has been very consistent this season

Mantha again going through a rough stretch with 1 point in the last 8 games is more concerning (effort at least is better again). He might finish with only 40 points after beeing PPG in the first 20 games. 11 in 32 since the calgary brawl

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yep. If you leave it in their imperfect hands, you roll the dice on possibly getting a bad call.

Detroit played a lousy game. Certainly not an effort worth getting outraged over. If anything, the refs did them a long term favor, reducing the odds that Holland shoots himself in the foot again.

If the players and/or coaches want to file a grievance, that's within their rights. But boo hooing about it, making a scene on the ice, is as ineffective as it is juvenile.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
The officiating and the rules are beyond disgusting. Sorry, but it seems the league is run by a bunch of morons.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yup there's just no consistency in the league any more, Just two weeks ago that would've been a no goal and now all of a sudden it's a good goal.

Honestly, there really hasn't been consistency since the league stopped just "letting the players play." Since the refs were asked to be refs, these inconsistencies have seemed pretty common. Which probably shouldn't be surprising. The system for teaching these guys how to manage games was, for decades, to largely let the players sort it out. Call the flagrant stuff, keep the calls even, and break up the fights before someone got killed. Other than the league having different crackdowns and whatever every few years, it's hard to change that sort of system. And now they're introducing video review into it.

I think it's gotten better, though.

Reactions: jkutswings

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Honestly, there really hasn't been consistency since the league stopped just "letting the players play." Since the refs were asked to be refs, these inconsistencies have seemed pretty common. Which probably shouldn't be surprising. The system for teaching these guys how to manage games was, for decades, to largely let the players sort it out. Call the flagrant stuff, keep the calls even, and break up the fights before someone got killed. Other than the league having different crackdowns and whatever every few years, it's hard to change that sort of system. And now they're introducing video review into it.

I think it's gotten better, though.
Eh. But now we have 3 refs in a way.
1. The refs on the ice
2. Coach’s challenge
3. Video review

There is simply something wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad