GDT: Wings @ Panthers - 7 EST

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Again it has to be mentioned over and over again. But the players don't care about a tank. We can call them delusional and they might not have been good enough. But they are at least seven seconds from another point towards their playoff chase.

They should be sour over that, very sour. They don't get to be ho-hum lets get Dahlin.
I am not talking about the tank with regards to that reaction at all. I understand that they don't care about what the team will be like 10 years from now because they make their paycheck from game to game. I am saying their reaction was over the top considering it was a borderline situation which could have went either way.

Like I said already, this is not a Holmstrom situation.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I will point out again, the Ref didn't even say that the player was forced in.

They announce that when they let goals stand.

We assume that was the ruling and I still find it to be pretty bad in this instances. But I think that was a part of why the bench was also incredulous.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think we got boned a bit by the call. Green didn't shove Huberdeau. Like all things Green lately, whatever he did was wholly ineffective to anything that transpired. Huberdeau had established his position behind Green, he continued to move back and into Mrazek, and he bumped him. Did Mrazek sell it? I don't know, but it doesn't really matter if he was trying to sell it if there was anything there to sell in the first place.

In a larger context, this seems to be in the process of developing into an issue for the league, though. Are they just that desperate for goal scoring that they're willing to look the other way now? Maybe. They've juiced power play opportunities in the past largely for the purpose of increasing scoring.

The league needs to clean this up. The purpose of a rule being largely black and white is to eliminate ref error because they are trying to judge intent or any other junk. Either change the rule or change the refs. Teams deserve to lose because they were clearly beaten. Not because you don't think they showed enough effort to deserve a call at the end, or because their goalie saved them too much already, or anything else. Every team deserves to win and lose fairly.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Blashill's mistake is putting this on the refs.
I believe coaches raising a stink about goaltending interference is their way to "protest" the league and its interference rules. If you're on the wrong end of a call you make sure the refs and the league know about it. You don't go quietly anymore. This is their way of demanding transparency and clarity with the rules, something the league is obviously going to consider for next season and going forward. Even the players are demanding clarity and consistency.

Last edited:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
5 in a row without a single point for larkin, wonder if he's gonna completely disappear in the 2nd half like he did his rookie season

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Lmao that goal counted. The NHL is making itself into a joke with calls like that. At this point interference is as unpredictable as catches in the NFL.
To be honest I think it's easier to define a catch in the NFL, I knew "catches" like Jesse James and Dez Bryant weren't going to be ruled catches before the announcement of the calls due to the ridiculous precedent set by Calvin Johnson.

I think people get more mad that they think something is a catch when by rule it's not. They're more consistent with the rule IMO.

But Green definitely shoved Hubey, and they should specify that.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
To be honest I think it's easier to define a catch in the NFL, I knew "catches" like Jesse James and Dez Bryant weren't going to be ruled catches before the announcement of the calls due to the ridiculous precedent set by Calvin Johnson.

I think people get more mad that they think something is a catch when by rule it's not. They're more consistent with the rule IMO.

But Green definitely shoved Hubey, and they should specify that.
I think they would have if he did.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I am not talking about the tank with regards to that reaction at all. I understand that they don't care about what the team will be like 10 years from now because they make their paycheck from game to game. I am saying their reaction was over the top considering it was a borderline situation which could have went either way.

Like I said already, this is not a Holmstrom situation.

There was 7 seconds left in the game.

This call, one way or the other, decided the fate of the game, whether it was the right call or the wrong call.

You don't get 10 minutes to try and manufacture a goal.
You got 7 seconds.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Just get rid of the review at least I can live with refs making mistakes in real time, but saying there human and make mistakes is absurd because they get the best technology to watch and review. If it is reviewed it shouldn’t be on the refs should be done by the same person every nice cause at least they will always interpret it the same

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
There was 7 seconds left in the game.

This call, one way or the other, decided the fate of the game, whether it was the right call or the wrong call.

You don't get 10 minutes to try and manufacture a goal.
You got 7 seconds.
Can you please elaborate?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
5 in a row without a single point for larkin, wonder if he's gonna completely disappear in the 2nd half like he did his rookie season

AA has gone 5 in a row without one as well. Mantha only has 1 in 5. None of the young players have looked good recently. Only saving grace is Mrazek has resurrected

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
AA has gone 5 in a row without one as well. Mantha only has 1 in 5. None of the young players have looked good recently. Only saving grace is Mrazek has resurrected

maybe we should play them together again, and put bertuzzi with nielsen or Z. mantha aa and larkin played pretty well together in the beginning of the season. On the other hand, blashhill has used the same lines now for quite some time. finally keeping his promise

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Nothing left to play for since Holland announced they were open for business.
Either you're being sarcastic, or I call nonsense.

If every NHL player threw in the towel once the GM said they were sellers, nearly half the league would eventually be mailing it in.

Players go through slumps. Sometimes a few coincide. And sometimes it happens frequently on bad teams (like this one). But if what you're suggesting were true, then even all the vaunted "winning culture" has failed, and this team is just another garden variety cellar dweller.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
I have a hard time grasping Bettman letting the Wings win the lottery. We all know the shade behind this type of stuff, and for some reason I don’t think he will allow Dahlin to come to Detroit. It would be another Lidstrom on his hands and we all know the love Bettman had for the Wings in the dynasty years...

Also- trade Howard. Mrazek looks like the better goalie for our future. Times up Jimmy. This is opinionated so if you want to poo poo on the jimmy thing bc you like him, take it to Twitter

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I have a hard time grasping Bettman letting the Wings win the lottery. We all know the shade behind this type of stuff, and for some reason I don’t think he will allow Dahlin to come to Detroit. It would be another Lidstrom on his hands and we all know the love Bettman had for the Wings in the dynasty years...

Also- trade Howard. Mrazek looks like the better goalie for our future. Times up Jimmy. This is opinionated so if you want to poo poo on the jimmy thing bc you like him, take it to Twitter

The draft lottery is run by a billion dollar company that would never risk their reputation rigging the lottery even if the league wanted to.

It is non-sense to suggest the NHL lottery is rigged. This is something all leagues really went out of their way to do after the NBA and Ewing.

If Bettman could rig it he would have saved hockey in Arizona shipping Matthews there and given McDavid the 20 year face of his league Toronto instead of the far Western outpost in Edmonton.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
The whole multi-million dollar contract thing isn't anything to play for? This is going to be his second contract. That's a huge deal for a player like him. With a good year he's going to lock in north of 50 million in career earnings.

They are intentionally not putting up points so that they can help the Wings out by having lower cap hits.

Am i doing this right?

Reactions: mantha39

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
What about that play makes it anything but borderline?

Sorry, you got the bad end of a call that could have went either way. This isn't Holmstrom goaltender interference stuff we are talking about, here.
The biggest thing that makes it borderline is the terrible decisions on previous goaltender interference calls this week.

By the rule it's pretty obviously interference. The player has minimal contact from Green and establishes himself in the crease, which impeded Mrazek's ability to establish his position to make a save.

And I love this quote from Z, even if he ends up getting fined for it. It's right on the money. It's not so much that this single call was awful. It's that the rules change from game to game.

"The inconsistency in this league right now, if it's the refs or it's the (review team) in Toronto or if it's the suspensions or if it's the fines, it's hard for us as players to know what rules we are playing under," Zetterberg said after the game, per Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press.
"You see it over and over again," Zetterberg continued. "Losing a game like this that is really important, the points are really important, on a call that yesterday could have been goalie interference and tonight it's not. Probably tomorrow that will be goalie interference again. That's what's frustrating for us. They have to find a way to deal with this."

Zetterberg blasts inconsistencies in officiating after non-interference call

Last edited:
Reactions: Winger98

chris05

May 23, 2013
5 in a row without a single point for larkin, wonder if he's gonna completely disappear in the 2nd half like he did his rookie season​

I would not be to concerned about Mantha and AA.
Larkin is a different story. For the amount of playing time he gets his numbers are pathetic. There is a reason why this team is at the bottom of the standing. Why this guy is allowed to touch the puck on the pp is beyond explanation.
Big boy hockey begins late dec.. garbage points at the start of the season don,t count...unless you can,t make big time plays when it matters. 20 minute a night guy who can,t score and you wonder why the pp is no good. Any time a player like larkin has more points than mantha and aa your team is going to finish in last place.​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad