Helene St. James Wings Interested in Boyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If Dan Boyle was so terrible, then a finger needs to go squarely on the Sharks as well, who made him their highest TOI per game player the entire season... and playoffs.

Now we love to complain about Quincey's ice time, but he still played over 4 minutes less per game than Kronwall come playoffs. Two minutes less than DeKeyser. He would have been less with Ericsson in the lineup. Quincey was 4th among defenders in the regular season.

What I'm trying to say is if he was playing so bad, why weren't his minutes reflecting that? We're not talking about a fringe team here, we're talking about a team that easily made the playoffs and looked to be a powerhouse of the West and he lead the team in ice time.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
If Dan Boyle was so terrible, then a finger needs to go squarely on the Sharks as well, who made him their highest TOI per game player the entire season... and playoffs.

Now we love to complain about Quincey's ice time, but he still played over 4 minutes less per game than Kronwall come playoffs. Two minutes less than DeKeyser. He would have been less with Ericsson in the lineup. Quincey was 4th among defenders in the regular season.

What I'm trying to say is if he was playing so bad, why weren't his minutes reflecting that? We're not talking about a fringe team here, we're talking about a team that easily made the playoffs and looked to be a powerhouse of the West and he lead the team in ice time.

He wasn't their highest TOI player though... Braun and Vlasic both topped Boyle in that respect.

Boyle had more PP time than Kronwall yet look at their points.

DW let him go for a reason guys.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He wasn't their highest TOI player though... Braun and Vlasic both topped Boyle in that respect.

VwRroBc.jpg

m39BAOn.jpg

NHL.com says otherwise.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
VwRroBc.jpg

m39BAOn.jpg

NHL.com says otherwise.

that +/- ... not Lidstromesque...me not like.

But, I guess he could be an upgrade of DRW powerplay and that is actually needed.

We could use a big strong and defensively reliable defenceman too though.

SC2008

Oct 14, 2006
Yeah I could see Dan Boyle being Ken Hollands kind of signing, 2 years 11 million would be perfect until the kids are ready Sproul, Marchenko, Ouellet.

Haha, so true. He already knows the Red Wings system after playing under McClellen. But yea, total Holland Vet signing.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Im at the point where id take any arm chair hfboard GM over this clown. Let a gem walk in Alquist without even giving him a legitimate chance, could have resigned him for pennies. But no, lets go after some has been and give him the golden parachute. What have we come to, how many more stupid moves until Holland is finally canned! Can em and bring back Stevie or Nill to replace him, please for all that is right in this good hockey world.

How do you know that either Stevie or Nill wants to come back? Both are under contracts to their current teams.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't hate it, but given that the Sharks need defensive help every bit as much as we do and Doug Wilson made it clear he wouldn't even consider bringing Boyle back, well, that should make everyone nervous.

Their are going to rebuild/retool and Boyle was their oldest defencemen to let walk. They already have three right-handers there, so Sharks have totally different need on their defence than we have in our Wings defence. Sharks also don't have those prospect guys to me mentored, like we have.

Their current defence:

Vlasic - Burns, Left-Right (27 and 29-year-old in-prime TOP-pair guys)
Stuart - Braun, Left-Right (34 and 27-year olds)
Irwin - Demers, Left-Right (26 and 25-year olds)

So they have perfect handnesses there even without 37-year old Boyle, because they want bring Burns back to defence. And no kids to be mentored. Totally different situation than in our defence.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Their are going to rebuild/retool and Boyle was their oldest defencemen to let walk. They already have three right-handers there, so Sharks have totally different need on their defence than we have in our Wings defence. Sharks also don't have those prospect guys to me mentored, like we have.

Their current defence:

Vlasic - Burns, Left-Right (27 and 29-year-old in-prime TOP-pair guys)
Stuart - Braun, Left-Right (34 and 27-year olds)
Irwin - Demers, Left-Right (26 and 25-year olds)

So they have perfect handnesses there even without 37-year old Boyle, because they want bring Burns back to defence. And no kids to be mentored. Totally different situation than in our defence.

that's not true.

also don't know if it's a great idea to sign a vet who doesn't think that mentoring rookies is his job.. to do just that.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
that's not true.

also don't know if it's a great idea to sign a vet who doesn't think that mentoring rookies is his job.. to do just that.

I think you also know that they are signed to play games and to help our PP. :)

But at two training camps Boyle will work with Sproul for sure how he has done things in the past and how Sproul thinks things should be done etc. And at some point at season or at next season, they will play together etc.

That's how Wings management will want things happen.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I think you also know that they are signed to play games and to help our PP. :)

But at two training camps Boyle will work with Sproul for sure how he has done things in the past and how Sproul thinks things should be done etc. And at some point at season or at next season, they will play together etc.

That's how Wings management will want things happen.

he will probably help the pp. i think we have bigger issues. and better options available.

i agree with your second point.

i'm just not sure if it's worth it.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Boyle isn't really what I'd look for in a top 4 guy other than being a right shot. Niskanen is probably the best option in free agency by default but I wouldn't overpay him just because he's the least ugly guy in an ugly contest. The trade market or going with some of the kids might be the more sound decision. I'd probably only take him on a 1-year deal like you'd have with Alfredsson. Maybe squeeze the last bit of juice of out of either/both guy and then move on next year.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

Boyle had more PP time than Kronwall yet look at their points.

DW let him go for a reason guys.

Because the Sharks have never gotten anywhere. It's the same reason they're shopping Thornton and Marleau, they have to start over.

I'm not in love with the idea of getting Boyle, but I like the idea more than Stralman or Niskanen for 5+ years.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Haha, so true. He already knows the Red Wings system after playing under McClellen. But yea, total Holland Vet signing.

Yup Boyle makes the most sense, And then maybe Gilbert. Niskanen and Stralman are out seeing that both will want long term deals and it sounds like Holland only wants a short term deal nothing more then 2 years and give the kids a chance. If Kindl is traded at the draft for a pick then I see one of either Marchenko and or Ouellet replacing him they have both looked really good last year.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Yup Boyle makes the most sense, And then maybe Gilbert. Niskanen and Stralman are out seeing that both will want long term deals and it sounds like Holland only wants a short term deal nothing more then 2 years and give the kids a chance. If Kindl is traded at the draft for a pick then I see one of either Marchenko and or Ouellet replacing him they have both looked really good last year.

According to Kahn, the bolded isn't true.

He (Niskanen) likely will be seeking the maximum seven-year deal (teams can sign their own players for a maximum of eight years). That's not likely a deterrent for the Red Wings because Niskanen is 27.

Money appears to be the issue

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Ken Holland is actually obsessed with old players. I'm so over this.

Yeah, just look at our D corps :shakehead

Kronwall 33 - Smith 25
Ericsson 30 - Kindl 27
Lashoff 23 - DeKeyser 24

And a bunch of 21 and 22 year olds

Out of our entire team only Alfie and Dats are over 35. One led us in scoring, the other is a cornerstone of the team.

As long as Holland has learned his "no 2 year contracts for over 35s" lesson, its not a bad thing signing a veteran, right handed PMD to play on the 2nd or 3rd pairing for one year.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Yeah, just look at our D corps :shakehead

Kronwall 33 - Smith 25
Ericsson 30 - Kindl 27
Lashoff 23 - DeKeyser 24

And a bunch of 21 and 22 year olds

Out of our entire team only Alfie and Dats are over 35. One led us in scoring, the other is a cornerstone of the team.

As long as Holland has learned his "no 2 year contracts for over 35s" lesson, its not a bad thing signing a veteran, right handed PMD to play on the 2nd or 3rd pairing for one year.

By weighted average Detroit is tied for oldest team in the NHL at 30 years old.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Regardless of Boyle's role with SJ or his reason for leaving he is easily an improvement for the D core. He is also the best value, Stralman would be the best for the team but he's too expensive it seems. Boyle can come for a decent price on a short contract. Then he walks/retires and we have better seasoned youth D to take over.

It's not like we have much playing room here.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I wish the organization was better with trading. It always seems like a boom or bust situation with Detroit, and no marginal improvements.

We were in on Nash when he was leaving Columbus, Alex Edler, Ryan Kesler, Jay Bouwmeester, etc.

And someone like Nikitin gets dealt for a 5th rounder. He is significantly better than Kindl and Lashoff... probably even better than Ericsson.

But I guess when we did try to get marginally better, we forked out a 1st for Kyle Quincey. It's just frustrating.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I wish the organization was better with trading. It always seems like a boom or bust situation with Detroit, and no marginal improvements.

We were in on Nash when he was leaving Columbus, Alex Edler, Ryan Kesler, Jay Bouwmeester, etc.

And someone like Nikitin gets dealt for a 5th rounder. He is significantly better than Kindl and Lashoff... probably even better than Ericsson.

But I guess when we did try to get marginally better, we forked out a 1st for Kyle Quincey. It's just frustrating.

he's not better than big E. no way.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
According to Kahn, the bolded isn't true.

I thought that Holland only wanted someone on a short term deal 1-2 years because Sproul, Marchenko and Ouellet should be ready by then. But at the same time I had heard that Holland was thinking about exploring the trade market because he wanted a longer term solution for the top 4 hence Edler, Yandle and Ehrhoff were mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->