Line Combos: Wings for Leon - The Drai Rub

Where will Draisaitl's Wingers come from?

• Total voters

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
RNH-McDavid-Rattie
Lucic-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Strome-Aberg/Yamamoto/FA
Caggiula-FA-Kassian

I'm not sure that we'll be seeing big changes up front assuming that the org is confident in Lucic improving and Jesse taking the next step that Caggiula and Slepyshev failed to this past season. I would suspect that we'll add 1 veteran RW in the event that the young RWers struggle again.

IMO defense is where we will be looking to upgrade the most.
This is how I've got things drawn out as well. Bring in a guy like Jannik Hansen to play 3RW, get a veteran right handed C to play 4th line. Aberg and Yamo push Pulju and Rattie on the right side. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing back Cammalleri on a cheap deal to be an extra forward either, seems like a good guy in the room and would be a decent guy to push those guys as well. But I wouldn't want him playing more than say 40ish games.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
RNH-McDavid-Rattie
Caggiula-FA-Kassian

I'm not sure that we'll be seeing big changes up front assuming that the org is confident in Lucic improving and Jesse taking the next step that Caggiula and Slepyshev failed to this past season. I would suspect that we'll add 1 veteran RW in the event that the young RWers struggle again.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think banking on Drai carrying Lucic and Pulju to start the season is setting him, and subsequently our 2nd line, up for failure. If things get off badly for that line without a legitimate option to fill in you're basically f***ed.

Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
RNH-McDavid-Rattie
Caggiula-FA-Kassian

I believe the opposite is true. The only way the D changes is if Nurse goes and I hate that. THE largest need is a veteran winger to play with Drai. A LW that can play RW or vice versa. This gives an option to play either Lucic or Pulj with Strome. Saddling Drai with a boat anchor and a guy who hasn’t learned to play inside is a recipe for no playoffs. You may a well trade Drai for a sniper to play with McD because 27-29-98 equals a one line team

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think banking on Drai carrying Lucic and Pulju to start the season is setting him, and subsequently our 2nd line, up for failure. If things get off badly for that line without a legitimate option to fill in you're basically ****ed.
I believe the opposite is true. The only way the D changes is if Nurse goes and I hate that. THE largest need is a veteran winger to play with Drai. A LW that can play RW or vice versa. This gives an option to play either Lucic or Pulj with Strome. Saddling Drai with a boat anchor and a guy who hasn’t learned to play inside is a recipe for no playoffs. You may a well trade Drai for a sniper to play with McD because 27-29-98 equals a one line team

IMO he showed good chemistry with Pulju. I can't see us investing heavily in a RH RWer unless one of Jesse or Kailer is moved out in a trade. It will put us in the same position that we are in with Russell as Nurse progresses. Either a 1-2 year stop gap or Jesse is gone IMO.

If Looch comes in and plays like he did after Christmas then our 2nd line will be pooched anyway unless Khaira or Caggiula becomes a legit 2nd line option.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
IMO he showed good chemistry with Pulju. I can't see us investing heavily in a RH RWer unless one of Jesse or Kailer is moved out in a trade. It will put us in the same position that we are in with Russell as Nurse progresses. Either a 1-2 year stop gap or Jesse is gone IMO.

If Looch comes in and plays like he did after Christmas then our 2nd line will be pooched anyway unless Khaira or Caggiula becomes a legit 2nd line option.
How much would Perron cost?

Lord Quas

The unseen
Aug 9, 2006
I have two problems with the theory of Lucic-Drai-Pulju

1. This was a fairly tried combination that did not produce consistently or tilt the ice in our favour
2. It banks on more 'what ifs' and making poor bets on player success.

We gotta start making moves that result in line shuffling out of creativity, not out of desperation to find something that works. One of the most frustrating thing last year was TMac's 82 game training camp.

Pursue a bonafide top 6 winger and you make a player like Lucic work for that spot to prove it can be a better mix, not just a contract driven gift.

Player 1Player 2Player 3GPTOICFCACF%FFFAFF%SFSASF%GFGAGF%SCFSCASCF%HDCFHDCAHDCF%HDGFHDGAHDGF%On-Ice SH%On-Ice SV%PDOOff. Zone FaceoffsNeu. Zone FaceoffsDef. Zone FaceoffsOff. Zone Faceoff %
Leon DraisaitlJesse PuljujarviMilan Lucic6552:25604756.07473557.32352756.452528.57301468.1811378.571150.005.7181.480.87215201944.12
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

:huh:
I disagree with your first point. Sure, they didn't light it up, but I don't believe it's been tried all that much. I don't know much about advanced stats, but it looks like they "played" well together and were unlucky (I'm really just guessing:sarcasm:)

I do agree it banks on "what ifs" though.

Pulju, to me, is still too inconsistent. I'm a big fan, but he needs to start using those tools he has. How is his english coming? I imagine it must be frustrating for Drai or McDavid to come back to the bench and not being able to go over plays with the guy. It's those little things in his game that could make him a superstar, and he has a chance to learn on the job from two of the best in 97 and 29.

Lucic is a bit of an enigma. I love the guy, and want him to have a monster season, but I don't know if that will happen on Drai or Conner's wing. I just don't think he is suited to controlled entries. Chip the puck past the defenders so Lucic can get after it. Gets him hitting, causing havoc and playing simple. In my mind, Lucic is moving up and down between McDavid, Drai, and Strome as play dictates.

I could see a Lucic-Drai-Yamamoto line working dump and chase well. But that is full of just as many "what ifs."

Reactions: ToeMcDrag83

Lord Quas

The unseen
Aug 9, 2006
I think his wingers are going to come from inhouse. I'm guessing Khaira and someone, with the expectation of getting a rental at some point.

Khaira-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi/Aberg/Yamamoto/FA

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
If there is no free agent signing of wingers by the oilers (WHICH WOULD SUCK)
I would start with this top 6 and hope. Having Vanek would be great. Having grabner would be good too if cheap.
Hemksy would be ok if he is able to play.

Nuge-Mcdavid-Aberg/Yamamoto
Lucic/Khaira -Draisaitl -Aberg/Yamamoto

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
To refine what a few have already mentioned:
RNH - McDavid - <insert grinder or scorer>
Lucic - Draisaitl - <insert smallish playmaker/skill-guy>

Anyone willing to skate and forecheck should be considered on the top line. They can run thru some options as the season progresses and to match opposition.
More worrisome is who Todd plays with Lucic-Drai. I don't really like Poolparty, Strome, Khaira there. In my Dreams Yamamoto breaks out in that spot.

Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Resigning Maroon is a big no-no.

We need speed , plain and simple . He's a solid player but we have enough plotters .

Plus , whoever signs him will end up over paying . Can't afford to be dishing out more money to more slow players.

Reactions: guymez

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I wouldn't mind would mind taking a look at the two Danes from SJ.

Boedker's likely going to come cheap due to Kane's new deal, and he brings a lot of the same elements as someone like Grabner. If he's costing you Caggiula/Aberg (or both) that's perfect.

Hansen's gives you a lot of the same qualities, but also a lot more grit and 2 way play.

RNH-McDavid-Hansen
Boedker-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Strome-Slepyshev
______-Khaira-Kassian

Suddenly the top 6 is a lot faster, with Lucic getting moved to a slower line. Plus he has historically worked well with Slepyshev, and Strome's a nice fit between them.

That just leaves you needing a 4th line LW. Personally I still like Komarov for here. He fits the role itself well, and he can also act as a translator for a number of guys.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
RNH - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Niederreiter - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Lucic - Strome - Spooner
Cagguila - Khaira - Kassian

That's one of the deepest forward groups in the league. Nino worked really well with Drai at the world Cup, and I think Spooner could work really well with Strome and Lucic. Spooner could probably be had with a 2nd. I would then be willing to trade the 2019 1st and Aberg for Nino, and then draft a defenseman this year.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
I think his wingers are going to come from inhouse. I'm guessing Khaira and someone, with the expectation of getting a rental at some point.

I'm worried you'll be right. Seems like a plan that's more likely to fail than succeed.

Personally I view the 2nd line right now as:
xxxxx - Draisatl - xxxxx
I think it would be prudent to bring in someone we can rely on to be effective in this role. In house options can compete for the other spot, but to rely on two guys to fill those roles is a big gamble in my eyes.

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
RNH - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Niederreiter - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Lucic - Strome - Spooner
Cagguila - Khaira - Kassian

That's one of the deepest forward groups in the league. Nino worked really well with Drai at the world Cup, and I think Spooner could work really well with Strome and Lucic. Spooner could probably be had with a 2nd. I would then be willing to trade the 2019 1st and Aberg for Nino, and then draft a defenseman this year.
I like trading the 2019 1st with Caggiulla for Nino. But then Aberg would have to play 3rw because we would up against the cap. Or trade a 3rd for Armias rights and put him at 3rw and Aberg 4lw.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Woof. Poor Drai. If he can lug that kinda of baggage around and somehow break even, he'll be worth his money.

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
Woof. Poor Drai. If he can lug that kinda of baggage around and somehow break even, he'll be worth his money.
He has chemistry with and plays well with Khaira and I think Yamamoto is perfect for his right side. Better than having Lucic and Caggiulla stapled next to him.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Zuccarello would be a perfect placeholder with Lucic and Drai for a year until Yamamoto is ready. He might not be available until the deadline as a rental though. I think we should target Josh Anderson to play with RNH and McDavid.

RNH McDavid Anderson
Lucic Drai Zuccarello
Khaira Strome Puljujarvi
Caggiula ?? Kassian

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Recently there was a proposal for Hoffman done by (I think) an Ottawa fan that was 10+40 for Hoffman+22. Not sure if that’s realistic, but I’d pull the trigger. Hoffman would be an excellent fit with Drai.

Then we package 22nd with Bear/Benning for an upgrade on RHD (not sure if it would be enough to pry Faulk loose).

Nuge-McD-Rattie
Hoffman-Drai-Yamamoto
Looch-Strome-Pulju (but he gets 1st unit PP)
Khaira-UFA (Ryan maybe?)-Kassian

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
He has chemistry with and plays well with Khaira and I think Yamamoto is perfect for his right side. Better than having Lucic and Caggiulla stapled next to him.

Kharia has no business in the top 6 and all the other options are completely unproven. Not exactly setting Drai up for success there.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad