Line Combos: Wings for Leon - The Drai Rub

Where will Draisaitl's Wingers come from?

• Total voters

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
More and more I feel the success of this team's forward group will be dependent on unlocking Draisaitl's maximum potential. He is our 2nd best player and is the key to us being anything beyond McDavid i.e. a 1 line team. Long term success has these two on their own lines.

Skilled as he is, he needs support from the wings, which was not provided to him this year. A huge part of the upcoming season will be hoping there is combination to trust on line 2 (and a more threatening powerplay approach).

The topic of discussion is what the best possible help would be for Leon, proven or otherwise to make line 2 as dangerous as it can be with him driving. Propose an effective line from the 5 options with any names you think realistically could help maximize Draisaitl's impact to the team's success next year, Hot topic today, so thought I'd have a thread on it.

In-house Options:
Lucic, Nuge, Puljujarvi, Aberg, Khaira, Caggiula, Kassian, Strome

Training Camp Prospects:
Rattie, Yamamoto, Benson, Safin, Maksimov, Hebig, Larkin

Offseason Potential Trade Targets:
Skinner, Hoffman, Mascherin, Nichushkin, Domi

10 UFA's:
Nash, JVR, Neal, Kulemin, Maroon, Perron, Calvert, Vanek, Hemsky, Grabner

5 RFA's:
Zucker, Pirri, Redier, Wilson, Stone

I would personally try to trade for the rights to Tom Wilson (for a 2nd & prospect possibly) and target Perron in free agency. I believe our in-house options need to pushed down the lineup right now and earn their spots in the top 6.

Perron-Draisaitl-Wilson is my suggestion. Not sure how to afford it, but I don't think it's totally unfeasible with a couple shrewd moves.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
As we've always maintained virtually every player needs at least one other player to work off of. Go around the league and the top pairs are evident. 3rd's can be almost anybody. But for the Center to have one winger capable of working legitimately in topsix is key. We haven't had much of that this season. Slepy, who is gone, was one of the best potentials but was not used with Drai this season. I like a big or strong player to work with Drai, guys hard to get off the puck. Maroon, Perron, Neal, Nash types ideal. Who knows if a Vanek could work, probably. Would not want to see a Hemsky as I prefer somebody that is good, but that would defer to the more dangerous Draisaitl in generating chances.

Anyway thanks for the thread and thoughts on this but as per your list Perron and Wilson are not required. Simply a Perron would work. Throw in any winger we have with that and it would pretty much work. Always liked Perron here. Another player we didn't work with ideally.

I don't mind the idea of Khaira on the line provided he uses his big body more consistently and works to retain the puck, but again the other winger is critical. Somebody has to be able to dish and finish well.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Re: the Poll - are you asking where we think his wingers will come from, or where we want his wingers to come from? Personally, I ideally want us to pick up one winger for him and take one from in-house or training camp. Most likely we'll see him paired with an in-house option and probably some prospect who isn't ready.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
As we've always maintained virtually every player needs at least one other player to work off of. Go around the league and the top pairs are evident. 3rd's can be almost anybody. But for the Center to have one winger capable of working legitimately in topsix is key. We haven't had much of that this season. Slepy, who is gone, was one of the best potentials but was not used with Drai this season. I like a big or strong player to work with Drai, guys hard to get off the puck. Maroon, Perron, Neal, Nash types ideal. Who knows if a Vanek could work, probably. Would not want to see a Hemsky as I prefer somebody that is good, but that would defer to the more dangerous Draisaitl in generating chances.

Anyway thanks for the thread and thoughts on this but as per your list Perron and Wilson are not required. Simply a Perron would work. Throw in any winger we have with that and it would pretty much work. Always liked Perron here. Another player we didn't work with ideally.

I don't mind the idea of Khaira on the line provided he uses his big body more consistently and works to retain the puck, but again the other winger is critical. Somebody has to be able to dish and finish well.

Yes for some reason the concept of pairs was abandoned last year. True disconnect between management and coaching on that one, the latter not providing anything worthy of pairing up to Draisaitl, the former stubborn in allocating all his talent to one line for the first half of the season. It's a huge misstep that Slepyshev was not given time Drai in any sort of capacity this year after the playoff success they had. Too many silly bets.

Khaira did quite well with Drai, bring a lot of the elements you brought up. He is already ahead of Lucic in my book for the chemistry with Drai if we're talking about that ilk/style of player.

Kharia-Drai Perron would be a significant step up as a 2nd line.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Re: the Poll - are you asking where we think his wingers will come from, or where we want his wingers to come from? Personally, I ideally want us to pick up one winger for him and take one from in-house or training camp. Most likely we'll see him paired with an in-house option and probably some prospect who isn't ready.

Where you think the help will come from, but of course the discussion on both sides is encouraged.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
I'd really like to see Lucic-Drai-Pulju tried as a line.

This was the ultimate hope I think.
Much as I hope Lucic bounces back, I lost a ton of faith in him.

If we're pairing Pulju and Drai (which I don't mind, there have been good moments with them) I'd still seek a better option on the LW to help that duo.

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
Lucic-Drai-Pulju was a pretty goodfit for the game they played together.
However, I could see the top 2 lines looking like this by the end of the season:
Nuge-McJesus-Yamamoto
Aberg-Draisaitl-Pulju
Yamamoto could definitely steal the right to play with the McNuge duo and Pulju should be stapled next to Drai with Aberg who is a fast in house option who produced in his short stint with Drai.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Hebig and Larkin won't even be tried as an option. Much to far away. Safom and Maksimov too.

In theory, Lucic - Drai - Pulju will work. However that requires Lucic to bounce back and Pulju to break out.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
I have two problems with the theory of Lucic-Drai-Pulju

1. This was a fairly tried combination that did not produce consistently or tilt the ice in our favour
2. It banks on more 'what ifs' and making poor bets on player success.

We gotta start making moves that result in line shuffling out of creativity, not out of desperation to find something that works. One of the most frustrating thing last year was TMac's 82 game training camp.

Pursue a bonafide top 6 winger and you make a player like Lucic work for that spot to prove it can be a better mix, not just a contract driven gift.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
I would like to see a proven top6 winger brought in to play with him. The other wing can be in-house or cheap acquisition. Having two threatening lines would be a major step toward having a competitive team.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Always so much doom and gloom but I can't help but feel for forwards we should be good moving forward.

McDavid makes 12.5 million a year. He has to run his own line with scrubs. Rattie, Aberg, and Cagullia types.

RNH should be on the 2/3 line at least part time and JP is a perfect type of player (when/if he develops) to compliment him.

Leon I think will have the perfect partner in Yama (when/if he develops).

Wings in general are just going to have to be bargain bin short term signings or developed from within. Just a reality in the cap word with McDavid and Leons contracts.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Bring in a couple wingers that can play top 6/9. If they work fine, if not at least you have the depth the team needs. It will force the current vets and currents young players to earn that ice time.

At least if you bring in a Grabner and he doesn't work, you have a vet that isn't hurting you by playing there. Maybe he doesn't fit, but I rather have a guy that doesn't fit than a guy that isn't ready that is hurting us.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
based on what we have right now id start the season with

Lucic-McDavid-Rattie/Yammo
Nuge-DRai-JP98

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Hebig and Larkin won't even be tried as an option. Much to far away. Safom and Maksimov too.

In theory, Lucic - Drai - Pulju will work. However that requires Lucic to bounce back and Pulju to break out.

Lucic has ceased being a possession player, for whatever reason. With his bulk and strength one would think he would be able to protect the puck effectively and work in tight situations. But his coordination is such that one of two things occurs;

1) He gets deftly stick checked losing the puck

2) Or forces a bad pass losing the puck.

If he just took what was there, muscled into positions, and used body and leg position to protect the puck in traffic he would be much more effective. Pulju hasn't really found his NHL legs yet so harder to say. More consistency if anything. He shows signs but not much more.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think Lucic bounces back next year. I see their top 6 next year as:

RNH - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Draisaitl - Yamamoto

That 2nd line would be incredible. Lucic and Draisaitl can both cycle the **** out of the other team, and Yamamoto is shifty and can get open and make plays. I feel they would compliment each other perfectly.

I think they should trade for a couple middle six wingers (Baertschi, Lehkonen, Namestnikov, Spooner, etc) for strome. IMO Cagguila, Kassian, and Aberg won't cut it on the 3rd line.
I don't like the look of our top 6 having 2 very very unproven guys needing to play well to work.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think they need to get winger(s) for Drai via trade or free agency.

I think JP or Yamamoto could be an option but who knows at this point. Neither are established.

I personally dont think Lucic is an option for Drai. He might rebound but I doubt it. Hes a black hole.

I see the lines more as

RNH - McDavid - JP? or KY?
XXX - Draisaitl - KY? or JP?
Lucic - Strome - XXX
Cagguila/Aberg - Khaira - Kassian
EX: Rattie

Team needs 3-4 players most likely imo.

Getting a fourth line center will allow the Oilers to move Khaira around a bit.
I think they should assume that only one of JP or KY is making it. I think both will make it but I dont think its the right way to do things unless they both look amazing.
I dont think Rattie should be penciled in the lineup.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I see it as this going into next season....

Nuge-McDavid-internal (Pulju/Yamamoto/Rattie/Aberg)
Lucic-Draisaitl-FA signing (Vanek or whoever, haven't really look at other names)
Khaira-Strome-internal (same names that I have up top)
Cagguila-FA-Kassian

A couple of things. I think they have to sign a free agent for Drai's line because as of now, he has nobody to play off of. I penciled Lucic into the 2nd line because I think they will give him a shot to bounce back in a top 6 role and if not, I see Khaira getting a shot.

Once McDavid signed that contract, it was a given that he's going to have to elevate an unknown (a cheap player) on one of his wings just like Crosby has had to do for years so a young guy will have to step up in that role with the RNH/McDavid duo already in place.

For the 3rd line, Strome at center is the only thing I'm confident will happen. Khaira could be anywhere from 2nd line LW to 4th line center. I'm pretty confident that Cagguila and Kassian will make up 2/3 of the 4th line. I could see them pursuing a 4th line center to replace Letestu if they insist on playing Khaira on wing (where I think he's better).

Ultimately, I think one top 6 stopgap winger is a necessity while the young guys grow into their role. The rest will have to be developed internally IMO. At some point, they are going to need to develop players who aren't elite talents. Lots of questions that will need answering, more questions than I feel comfortable with going into the offseason.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
The duos worked very well in 2016-2017, and I think Draisaitl needs a proven talent up there to bring out the effectiveness of all the lines.

How I see it right now for top 3 lines' pairs is:

Nuge-McD
Drai-???
Lucic-Strome

You have to get something substantial as Drai's partner in order to input the outskirts of the top 9 with players like Pulju, Aberg, Caggiula, Khaira, Rattie etc. Using 2 of these players with Drai is setting the team up for relying on 1 line again

That's what will allow your young players to take the next step, and your core players to play with less pressure.

Reactions: Cypress

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
RNH-McDavid-Rattie
Lucic-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Strome-Aberg/Yamamoto/FA
Caggiula-FA-Kassian

I'm not sure that we'll be seeing big changes up front assuming that the org is confident in Lucic improving and Jesse taking the next step that Caggiula and Slepyshev failed to this past season. I would suspect that we'll add 1 veteran RW in the event that the young RWers struggle again.

IMO defense is where we will be looking to upgrade the most.

Reactions: thadd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->