Wings Fire Coach

• Thread starter HFNHL Red Wings
  • Start date

HFNHL Red Wings

With only 3 games remaining in the regular season, GM Niece has stolen a page out of Lou Lamourillos’s play book and fired their coach with GM Niece taking the reins.

“I have been very concerned about the teams play of late.”, Niece said. After a good ten game performance against strong opponents lead to the Red Wings briefly taking over top spot the Wings have looked lack luster in the final stretch against teams out of the playoffs. Losses to the Blackhawks and Rangers and ugly wins such as 8-5 vs the Preds and fighting to eek out a 1-0 victory over the Panthers have not buoyed the team’s confidence heading into the playoffs.

The issue has been compounded by a unfavourable season ending schedule that has seen the Wings only play once in the past 10 days and then finish with three straight games.

“It’s the coaches job to keep our players motivated and focused. The poor play of late and look of disinterest at practice recently is alarming. Something has to change as we cannot afford another mental breakdown like last year.” GM Niece said referring to last years first round collapse after staking a 3-0 series lead against the Wild and eventual elimination.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blues have set the bar.

With the Blues victory over the Edmonton Oilers the pressure to win is on the Wings. Currently 4 points back and with 3 games remaining the Wings must either win or tie the Blues tomorrow if they hope to finish atop the Central Division. At this point the Wings record to date against the Blues is meaningless as a loss in this one game will see the Wings relegated to the 4th seed and an undesirable first round matchup against the Stars.

In addition the Wings will have to win one of their other two games against the suddenly hot Atlanta Thrashers (.600 winning percentage in the past 10 games) or very tough conference rivals the San Jose Sharks.

The irony of the Blues vs. Wings game is that many GM’s will be cheering on the Blues who have traditionally been jealousy viewed as the ‘enemy’ given their perennial powerhouse teams. The paradox being that while some GM’s privately hope to see perennial powerhouses like the Blues, Sharks, and Senators of the past, be beaten by another team to do it yourself you have to become that which you despise – a stacked team. Add in GM Niece’s somewhat boastful posts this season and you won’t find many fans outside of Detroit cheering on the Wings in this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

HFNHL Red Wings

It's about time other GM's came around - I've hated the Wings for years!!!

LMAO.

You know you love the rivalry Nick. The league would be boring without an adversary to duke it out with.

It's like the Sens/Leafs playoff battles. Imagine how much more you would enjoy this years playoffs had the Sens actually met and beat the Leafs to advance - hypothetically of course :naughty:

The Wings are your "Leafs" :razz:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
LMAO.

You know you love the rivalry Nick. The league would be boring without an adversary to duke it out with.

It's like the Sens/Leafs playoff battles. Imagine how much more you would enjoy this years playoffs had the Sens actually met and beat the Leafs to advance - hypothetically of course :naughty:

The Wings are your "Leafs" :razz:

Oh, I know it. I definitely look forward to the potential playoff match-up as well, which will likely happen in the 2nd round if we can both survive the opening round (no small task).

And I just don't see the Wings pulling a Leafs and becoming a perennial lottery team. Tough to slay your demon when they don't show up to the dance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad