Wings Deadline Deals

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
It was a busy, technologically challenged, and expensive day in Detroit but in the end the Wings largely got done what they needed to. I know the Jackets are hoping the deals will screw up the Wings chemistry.

On the final day there were many discussions with many teams holding to their guns on asking prices but Detroit equally held to their position of not trading their first rounder or few remaining prospects. This made finding a deal more challenging but in the end 4 deals were done.

In: C Matt Cullen, D Sergei Gonchar, D Nick Schultz, MIN 4th, BOS 7th,... $13M in contracts.
Out: F Mike Santorelli, D Steve Eminger, DET 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

In Cullen the Wings address a need for a quality defensive forward (really could have used 3). In a separate deal Mike Santorelli, who was displaced by the trade, was sent to Minnesota for a 4th which replaced the 4th sent to Calgary for Cullen.

In Gonchar the Wings add a quality offensive dman rental who will be paired with either Roszival or Gleason.

The last deal completed was for mobile defensive dman Nick Schultz. He will likely see 3rd pairing and 2nd PK duty with the Wings.

The next few games will likely see some shuffling of dmen pairings to find the best mix but overall the Wings feel they are stronger with the moves made while limiting the cost to futures as best they could.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Good dealings. To bad we couldn't agree on Goligoski. Not that I could agree with Mike about Dion anyway. It was good to chat today

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Not that I ever agreed my roster was as 'AHL' as some referred to it, but hopefully this tentative lineup looks more 'NHL' ready.

Versteeg - Hanzal - Giroux
Stepan - Grabovski - Ryder
McMillan - Cullen - Sykora
Arnstrong - Belanger - Sykora

Injury reserve: Miettinen and Brent

Gleason - Corvo
Roszival - Gonchar
Schultz - Wilson
Sbisa

Injury reserve: Weber and Gragnani

Lundqvist
Labarbera

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
The Wings today received news that the final two deadline transactions were approved. The Wings announced the signing of two CHL overagers in Charlie Dodero and Cody Sylvester to entry level contracts as the UDFA signing deadline also passed.

While both have a long way to go they caught the eye of GM Niece. Charlie Dodero in particular is one the Wings have seen several times over the past couple of years. While not flashy he is a steady mobile dmen with a good outlet pass and respectable shot. A generally poised individual under pressure he has been known to show some feistiness by droping the gloves in defence of his teammates on more than a couple of occassions.

In Cody Sylvester the Wings acquire a quality leader. While he is known as a very humble player he has much to celebrate as he followed up last seasons point per game performance by finishing 10th in WHL scoring. There is no question about his work ethic but as a smallish player with no elite skills its hard to tell what the future holds.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad