Post-Game Talk: Wings @ Caps, Tues 12/8, 7:30pm, Phonebooth, NBCSN -- Return of the Greenie

Status
Not open for further replies.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Definitely earning my Most Disappointing Player award so far. That said, I remember a time in the NHL when the Sophomore slump was a regular and real thing for most players. How he finishes the year matters most to me.

Slump implies that he had a somewhat stellar rookie year.

He was very inconsistent last year as well, though he was pretty decent in the playoffs.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Send him to Hershey where he will get top line minutes, gain confidence, and dominate the AHL.

Bura-Stephenson-Bourque
Vrana-Camper-Carey

Those lines would be awesome.

It also surprises me that Brown hasn't seen a game yet. Why keep him up to scratch him as well. He would be better suited playing that 4RW spot than Bura or Galiev

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
First of all, I'm not criticizing the Caps. Just admiring the Wings and expressing my aspirations for our club.

But that said, I somewhat disagree. I think the culture begets the winning which then reinforces the culture. The Caps are trying to build that cultural foundation now and watching the process does make me resentful for decades of losing that was tolerated.

I too admire the Wings for their winning culture and their outstanding achievements since the 90s. These guys haven't missed the playoffs for the past 25 years. With coaches like Bowman or Babcock and the plethora of HOF players they had, it's easy to have a winning culture. This is what we're trying to do right now. Firing GMGM and his minions is the best move the ownership has done so far in the Ovechkin era.

Chicken and egg discussion. I get the admiration of a winning organization. The Caps have laid the groundwork, now they need to reinforce it with success, which will solidify it as "the way to win" for the existing and new players to come...

Exactly. If we win the Cup eventually, I want us to defend it. Can't be satisfied with one-and-done.
The winning culture is built by paying attention to fine details. At the start of training camp, this is when championship teams are formed. Even little stuff like the coaching staff making the players wear t shirts with key words such as commitment, discipline etc. helps build up a winning team.

Remember when Ovi was scratched for a game earlier this season? In hindsight it was a great move by Trotz. We lost the game 5-0, which forced everyone to focus on their game and it sent the right message to the players. No one is above the rules, not even Ovi. We missed out on two points but it doesn't matter, we have a 19-5-2 record, best start in franchise history.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Send him to Hershey where he will get top line minutes, gain confidence, and dominate the AHL.

Bura-Stephenson-Bourque
Vrana-Camper-Carey

Those lines would be awesome.

It also surprises me that Brown hasn't seen a game yet. Why keep him up to scratch him as well. He would be better suited playing that 4RW spot than Bura or Galiev

I'd be on-board with that - give Bura 20+ minutes a night with the Bears. Play him ES, PP, even PK. Rather have a vet on in the box for the Caps than a youngster not playing a bunch.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
If MaJo is hurt, I would like to see:

Ovie-Kuz-Oshie
Galiev-Backstrom-Williams
Chimmer-Beagle-Wilson
Laich-Latta-Brown

I don't think Trotz will put 65 on the 2nd line with how he's playing, and I don't see him getting his game back playing 6 minutes a night on the 4th line. Give Galiev a look with actual playmakers.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yeah, but by minions I meant the 10000 rookie coaches hired over the years.

its widely accepted that at least Cassidy and Oates were Leonsis hires. But, yes its nice to see that Leonsis was willing to hire an experienced coach for a change.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I hate to say it but he sucks right now and deserves to be in the press box. He was by far our worst player yesterday. Galiev should be playing next game IMO.

Orlov-Chorney pairing was all sorts of terrible yesterday. Lost track of the guys they should have been covering in each of the Wings goals. I think they were benched for a while. Each played around 11-12 minutes while Schmidt played 3rd least with 21:48 from D's. Burakovsky had a bad game and was propably benched again because of that patented giveaway in the offensive zone that always leads to odd-man rush.

They should have won this in regulation. Dominated most of the game but the 3rd pairing was exposed badly, as well as the 4th line against the Wings 1st line in that 1st goal. Wings had nothing going before that icing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad