Post-Game Talk: Wings @ Caps, Tues 12/8, 7:30pm, Phonebooth, NBCSN -- Return of the Greenie

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Orlov was awful, it's starting to look like the injuries have may have taken a toll on his career.

Injuries? I don't equate boneheaded plays to an injury issue. He's developing a bad knack for his mistakes ending up in the Cap's net...

Still he's playing better than I expected overall. He's got the tools to succeed.

Jedgi

Feb 12, 2008
Was fun being at the game, but many of the Detroit transplants in DC are insufferable. In all my experiences as an away fan I certainly cheer for my favorite team, but I'm not a jerk about it. I'll clap or be happy when a nice play happens, but I'm not there to piss off the home team fans. A few Wings fans in my section thought it was necessary to clap above their heads when something went well for Detroit. There is no reason to clap above your head unless you are trying to annoy someone else.

Side note, at one point in the game the Wings fans in my section tried to get a Red Wings cheer started. Of course the Caps fans interjected with "Red Wings suck!". One Wings fan responded by yelling "4 Stanley Cups!". I thought this was valid so I yelled back "Lions suck!"

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Just got around to watching the pressers. Gotta say, Kudos to the Wings players and Bashill. Zero excuses, responsible and respectful.

I dream of a time when the Caps organization has that kind of 100% professional culture on and off the ice and top to bottom. They've gotten better since McPhee left, but they're still a long way from that vibe.

Wouldn't mind them hiring Feds for some kind of front-office role to bring back some of that Detroit-ness.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Just got around to watching the pressers. Gotta say, Kudos to the Wings players and Bashill. Zero excuses, responsible and respectful.

I dream of a time when the Caps organization has that kind of 100% professional culture on and off the ice and top to bottom. They've gotten better since McPhee left, but they're still a long way from that vibe.

Wouldn't mind them hiring Feds for some kind of front-office role to bring back some of that Detroit-ness.

What do you mean? I think our players are very professional and don't go looking for excuses when they lose. They tell it as it is, especially coach Trotz.

Oh, and they can't hire Feds, he is CSKA Moscow's GM.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
What do you mean? I think our players are very professional and don't go looking for excuses when they lose. They tell it as it is, especially coach Trotz.

Oh, and they can't hire Feds, he is CSKA Moscow's GM.

I know Feds has a job. Just sayin'.

And yeah, no. Caps are professional, but the Wings are on another level and have been for decades. It's not just press conferences; it's their whole organizational culture, but it comes through in interviews too.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Gotta say, I liked seeing the serious confidence displayed by Oshie, Kuzy and Holts during the shootout. Holts had no doubt he was going to make the saves. Gotta love that.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Very good game. Caps handled play most of the game against probably the hottest team in the East in Detroit.

What is about Detroit goalies that they have insane games against us? Mrazek was unreal the 1st two games and Howard was terrific last night as well.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I know Feds has a job. Just sayin'.

And yeah, no. Caps are professional, but the Wings are on another level and have been for decades. It's not just press conferences; it's their whole organizational culture, but it comes through in interviews too.

The Wings are a much older organization with a winning culture for the past 25 years. Our Caps had a losing culture for most of that time. I think it's unfair to compare the Caps to arguably the best franchise of the modern era.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Injuries? I don't equate boneheaded plays to an injury issue. He's developing a bad knack for his mistakes ending up in the Cap's net...

Still he's playing better than I expected overall. He's got the tools to succeed.

the difference between Orlov's play and Schmidt is remarkable. Whats the difference? Is Schmidt that much better or Orlov worse?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
the difference between Orlov's play and Schmidt is remarkable. Whats the difference? Is Schmidt that much better or Orlov worse?

Not sure why we need to bring Schmidt into it, but...Schmidt is quick and decisive and anticipates the play better. Orlov is crafty and skilled but doesn't seem to have the flow of the NHL game programmed into his brain quite yet. He's relying mostly on speed and opportunity to skate to the puck and then do something with it. More NHL-savvy players are taking advantage of this and causing him to make mistakes. When he has time and space or slips off the radar he makes plays.

It seems like an experience issue, which isn't solved by benching like some want.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Not sure why we need to bring Schmidt into it, but...Schmidt is quick and decisive and anticipates the play better. Orlov is crafty and skilled but doesn't seem to have the flow of the NHL game programmed into his brain quite yet. He's relying mostly on speed and opportunity to skate to the puck and then do something with it. More NHL-savvy players are taking advantage of this and causing him to make mistakes. When he has time and space or slips off the radar he makes plays.

It seems like an experience issue, which isn't solved by benching like some want.

Schmidt had a beautiful rip-off of someone last night. I also saw him go into a board battle where he was outnumbered 2 to 1, sandwiched, and he somehow came away with the puck and passed it out of the zone.

Schmidt is legit.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I was really happy to see Green recognized, though, before the game. Well deserved.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
Score effects, struggle with good teams, something something.

The Wings were a good team when they beat the Capitals, now that the Capitals beat them and outshot them basically two-to-one they aren't. Capitals record and play against good teams is awful still ....

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Thats not the 5th best team conference right now. They are a very good team with lots of talent. They are playing better hockey then both NY teams right now. Orlov had a bad turnover, and Chorney had a couple bad plays, but for the most part they did ok. Bura had one bad pass that I remember but I think he is playing better after his scratch.

This.

Detroit is a very good team. They have 3 legit scoring lines. They are very deep and hot right now. That was a good game against a quality opponent. Plus for some reason, we struggle against their goalies.

Orlov made a mistake, but he didn't have bad game. He was OK. In fact after that mistake he played well. It's not like we are constantly questioning his decision making and plays. I don't remember any games where he was brutal the whole game. He makes mistakes from time to time, but also has showed flashes of brilliance too. I think if we are patient with him, he can turn out to a game breaker for us.

Same for Bura. He made mistakes at the beginning of the game, but after played well. I feel like our young guys know about their gaffes and next shift they play harder.

And yeah, really happy with Shmidt. His defensive awareness is on different level, had a really strong game against the wings. Though it would be nice if he scored on that Kuzy's pass :)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The Wings are a much older organization with a winning culture for the past 25 years. Our Caps had a losing culture for most of that time. I think it's unfair to compare the Caps to arguably the best franchise of the modern era.

This. It's not like the Wings developed it overnight. Took a long time a many Cups.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
This. It's not like the Wings developed it overnight. Took a long time a many Cups.

First of all, I'm not criticizing the Caps. Just admiring the Wings and expressing my aspirations for our club.

But that said, I somewhat disagree. I think the culture begets the winning which then reinforces the culture. The Caps are trying to build that cultural foundation now and watching the process does make me resentful for decades of losing that was tolerated.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Burt played 6 minutes last night.

Definitely earning my Most Disappointing Player award so far. That said, I remember a time in the NHL when the Sophomore slump was a regular and real thing for most players. How he finishes the year matters most to me.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
First of all, I'm not criticizing the Caps. Just admiring the Wings and expressing my aspirations for our club.

But that said, I somewhat disagree. I think the culture begets the winning which then reinforces the culture. The Caps are trying to build that cultural foundation now and watching the process does make me resentful for decades of losing that was tolerated.

Chicken and egg discussion. I get the admiration of a winning organization. The Caps have laid the groundwork, now they need to reinforce it with success, which will solidify it as "the way to win" for the existing and new players to come...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->