Player Discussion: Tyler Bertuzzi

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Hopefully he takes a nice long look in the mirror in case he gets to play tonight. More grit, so with Booth, Witkowski, Abby and Bert it should keep the grit fans entertained.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
-3 his first game this season. This kid is a lifetime AHL-NHL player. Never going to have enough skill for the NHL but will always look great with grit and skill in the AHL. Complete waste of a pick on a team that should have drafted a boom-boost D-man in his place.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
-3 his first game this season. This kid is a lifetime AHL-NHL player. Never going to have enough skill for the NHL but will always look great with grit and skill in the AHL. Complete waste of a pick on a team that should have drafted a boom-boost D-man in his place.

You are really gonna use plus minus in one game in the nhl to determine if he’s a bust? Ok don’t use anything like his play (which was meh) use a plus minus

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Serious question. Did you watch the game?

Reactions: 21 Savage

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
Bugs me he comes up here without any swagger and makes safe plays and doesn't get in the face of anyone. Grit is half of his game and upside, but he comes up and plays tentative. Weak...

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
I haven't been impressed at all when he's been in the lineup. has the dude even attempted to hit someone? seems extremely tentative and scared to do anything. Maybe he's worried about taking a bad penalty and being benched?

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Besides his playoff resume I have never ever thought Lil Bert was any more then a Mitch Callahan, I think some people habe their expectations way too high for this kid.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You are really gonna use plus minus in one game in the nhl to determine if he’s a bust? Ok don’t use anything like his play (which was meh) use a plus minus

Not just one game but his whole skill set is pretty much the set of the person who never is quite an NHL player. He will play games inconsistently in the NHL, be called up, sent down, claimed, traded and the like.

As for last night's game (and this is to all the people who quoted me) plus/minus is a stat that can be powerful or it can be useless. Sometimes you pop over the bench and someone scores in the same instant. Or somehow the goalie lets a softball in from a dump just past center ice. But Bert definitely earned his -3. In the AHL he drives plays, but he just doesn't have the skill set necessary to translate it to the NHL. Its like Pulkks or Jurco, they both have skill sets that make them monsters in the AHL, neither had it to translate that to the NHL (for different reasons), and both will be bounced up and down till their late 20s and I would bet both end up going back to Europe before they finally hang them up. Bert has the same sort of look about him right now; always will look amazing in the AHL, never quite puts it together for the NHL.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Besides his playoff resume[/B] I have never ever thought Lil Bert was any more then a Mitch Callahan, I think some people habe their expectations way too high for this kid.

Even his playoff resume is highly overrated, people who haven't watched him ignore the luck he's had in the playoffs, lots of weak stoppable goals, he has like a 25+ shooting percentage in the playoffs compared to 10% during the regular season.

His grit is really his only above average NHL "skill", and in his 8 games played he hasn't even shown that.

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Bugs me he comes up here without any swagger and makes safe plays and doesn't get in the face of anyone. Grit is half of his game and upside, but he comes up and plays tentative. Weak...

Yes, coaches absolutely love players who turn over pucks, attempt low percentage plays and get caught out of position trying to do too much.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
He is a projected 7th round or undrafted player that the wings took in the third for some reason. So I'll always look at what "could have been". But with that said he is entertaining to watch, has grit but is a 4th liner at best.

Just remember what he is. He is a blast to watch thought, especially in GR

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
One thing I will say for Ty is he’s gotten better at every level of play once he’s acclimated.

I doubt he’ll ever be a top 6 guy, but you’re underselling him if you don’t think he’ll have at least a NHL contracts. For a third round pick, the fact he’s even played in the NHL at this point means it was a decent pick. Let’s hold off judgement until we get an actual reasonable sample size for him. Judging him in one game, where his goalie literally had a 20% save percentage at one point, is moronic, especially since it wasnt him missing coverage or allowing the breakdowns to happen

If guys like Paul Byron or Luke Glendenning can become semi valuable NHLers, there’s no reason to think Bertuzzi can’t. He has more latent offensive instincts than both those guys had at his age. Heck, Frk was in the ECHL in his age equivilant season. If Ty has a 200 NHL game career, even as a 4th liner, by averages of his draft position he was a “good” pick.

If you’re looking at a pick to be skeptical about or put in the bust territory, Evgeni Svechnikov is infinitely more concerning, relative to expectations.

Last edited:
Reactions: lomekian

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
One thing I will say for Ty is he’s gotten better at every level of play once he’s acclimated.

I doubt he’ll ever be a top 6 guy, but you’re underselling him if you don’t think he’ll have at least a NHL contracts. For a third round pick, the fact he’s even played in the NHL at this point means it was a decent pick. Let’s hold off judgement until we get an actual reasonable sample size for him. Judging him in one game, where his goalie literally had a 20% save percentage at one point, is moronic, especially since it wasnt him missing coverage or allowing the breakdowns to happen

If guys like Paul Byron or Luke Glendenning can become semi valuable NHLers, there’s no reason to think Bertuzzi can’t. He has more latent offensive instincts than both those guys had at his age. Heck, Frk was in the ECHL in his age equivilant season. If Ty has a 200 NHL game career, even as a 4th liner, by averages of his draft position he was a “good” pick.

If you’re looking at a pick to be skeptical about or put in the bust territory, Evgeni Svechnikov is infinitely more concerning, relative to expectations.

I wouldn't consider him a bust yet as the sample size is small

my concern is that I have seen absolutely zero grit from him in the 8 games I have seen him play in the NHL. considering the grit is what suppose to be his trademark, that is an issue to me. Nothing i have seen from him yet indicates he will be a tough player to play against at the NHL level

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Brett Pesce?

Or forwards, Pavel Buchnevich or Jake Guentzel or Oliver Bjorkstrand. But, hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

There's nothing easier than going back through old archived drafts on the 'ol interwebz to see all the players "we coulda had", and that goes for fans of all NHL teams.

It's fun to do. I do it. But just because back in 1986 my gut said my team should pick player B4-56A out of 220, doesn't make me right as if I have some special draft skills or knowledge, it just proves that even a broken clock is right twice a day.

If there's some "moneyball" quantum scientific magical physics that guarantees a team can always pick the best, and only the best available players in any given draft... I believe it would have happened by now. Yet, it hasn't.

But I get your point. Talking about re-drafts on the old interwebs is fun on random message forums and reddit while sipping on coffee on a sunday afternoon chilling amongst your online internet friends. I get it.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Well seeing as super coach told him to go out there and not do much, don't try to hard and don't hit to much what would you like him to do? Thrashill is the Ahl person in this equation not Bert.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Well seeing as super coach told him to go out there and not do much, don't try to hard and don't hit to much what would you like him to do? Thrashill is the Ahl person in this equation not Bert.

or you know, maybe said player just isn't that good at the nhl level.

not everything has to be blashill's fault

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Looks like the people who originally complained about the pick four years ago finally have some ammunition to dump on him. How about we let him play 100 NHL games before deciding on what type of player he'll be in the NHL? He needs more NHL experience.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Looks like the people who originally complained about the pick four years ago finally have some ammunition to dump on him. How about we let him play 100 NHL games before deciding on what type of player he'll be in the NHL? He needs more NHL experience.

You're telling me we shouldn't expect a hat trick from the kid playing his 8th NHL game ever? And his 1st NHL game of the season?

BUST!

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

100 games is long time for a player to get their act together, especially one who plays a more physical/less cerebral game. These types of players usually either carve out their niche quickly or are replaced quickly.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
100 games is long time for a player to get their act together, especially one who plays a more physical/less cerebral game. These types of players usually either carve out their niche quickly or are replaced quickly.
You have no idea what you're talking about. It's cute.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
You're telling me we shouldn't expect a hat trick from the kid playing his 8th NHL game ever? And his 1st NHL game of the season?

BUST!
Come on. He’s stepping onto a team firing on all cylinders. If he can’t produce big numbers on a dominant team, how do you think he’d handle playing on a garbage team like Pittsburgh for example? Look at Sheahan, his numbers are nowhere near what he was doing on our powerhouse team. I give Bert one more game, if he doesn’t have 3+ points, 10+ hits, 3 fights, zero PIM and a couple of zingers in the post-game interviews he is a bust for sure.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Come on.
We're waiting for Bertuzzi to show us something. Anything. Anything that makes us think he might have value.

Show some spark. Skate. Create a turnover. Hit.

He was anemic last year. He did nothing last night to change that impression.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad