GDT: Wings at Blues

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Lmao just star punching someone at the end of the game to stop playing.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I'm wondering if Athanasiou joins Holland's NTC club this summer. Is anybody on Detroit who isn't on an entry-level contract not in Holland's NTC club?

We have Danny and Justin until about 2022. Ericsson is in there too. I think everyone not on an entry-level.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Why does Nyquist direct traffic on the PP? He has no clue on how to run it besides just passing it back to the corner to Z.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Lmao just star punching someone at the end of the game to stop playing.

I never understood why more teams defending one-goal leads don't just take penalties over and over again until the clock runs out.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
not just young but better. Complain about the old guys, but the old guys are better than Jensen and XO. Really, I think Ericsson and Kronwall are better than Dekeyser. We need better players.
That's what kills me. When I hear Holland go on the radio after the deadline, and prattle on about how young guys can't have any entitlement, and have to earn those roster spots by taking them from vets... Either he is deliberately avoiding the truth, or is supremely clueless.

Nobody is asking for kids to get free passes they don't deserve. Fans want a better tier of kids, to force out this pile of mediocre players they call a roster.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
My god can we please get rid of nick Jensen right now. I get it he can skate but I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen him pass a puck. Our d are 0 threat from the point when taking a shot it’s pathetic. The d-core needs so much work but Jensen needs to go cause I can’t watch him anymore

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
My god can we please get rid of nick Jensen right now. I get it he can skate but I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen him pass a puck. Our d are 0 threat from the point when taking a shot it’s pathetic. The d-core needs so much work but Jensen needs to go cause I can’t watch him anymore
is he worse than DD?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
That's what kills me. When I hear Holland go on the radio after the deadline, and prattle on about how young guys can't have any entitlement, and have to earn those roster spots by taking them from vets... Either he is deliberately avoiding the truth, or is supremely clueless.

Nobody is asking for kids to get free passes they don't deserve. Fans want a better tier of kids, to force out this pile of mediocre players they call a roster.

I don't think Holland is avoiding the truth, I think he knows that XO, Jensen, etc. just aren't playing as well as they had hoped. You can't really expect him to go on the radio and say, "damn, these guys suck." Just look at the moves he makes, though. If he really believed in XO, Jensen, and Russo he wouldn't have signed Daley. That's what signing Daley really said to me: we don't think these kids are good enough. And they're right.

At the same time, are Hronek/Saarijarvi/Cholo ready right now? I'm more than willing to see any of them for some games here at the end of the season, but I would have never entertained the idea of them playing all season this season. Yeah, I sorta side with the argument that we still should have not signed Daley and just taken our lumps, but either way we have to put enough guys on the ice to put a full team out there.

What really hurts is that I still think this team is going to be locked into finishing in this 7-12 area for a few years because while guys like Nielsen, Helm, Gator, and Dekeyser aren't great...they're not horrible. And with guys like Larkin, Mantha, AA, etc. progressing and more, ideally better, kids being groomed in elsewhere in the lineup, I think really bottoming out is going to be hard. So hope we have some massive draft lottery luck.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I don't think Holland is avoiding the truth, I think he knows that XO, Jensen, etc. just aren't playing as well as they had hoped. You can't really expect him to go on the radio and say, "damn, these guys suck." Just look at the moves he makes, though. If he really believed in XO, Jensen, and Russo he wouldn't have signed Daley. That's what signing Daley really said to me: we don't think these kids are good enough. And they're right.

At the same time, are Hronek/Saarijarvi/Cholo ready right now? I'm more than willing to see any of them for some games here at the end of the season, but I would have never entertained the idea of them playing all season this season. Yeah, I sorta side with the argument that we still should have not signed Daley and just taken our lumps, but either way we have to put enough guys on the ice to put a full team out there.

What really hurts is that I still think this team is going to be locked into finishing in this 7-12 area for a few years because while guys like Nielsen, Helm, Gator, and Dekeyser aren't great...they're not horrible. And with guys like Larkin, Mantha, AA, etc. progressing and more, ideally better, kids being groomed in elsewhere in the lineup, I think really bottoming out is going to be hard. So hope we have some massive draft lottery luck.

Check the schedule.
This team is going to bottom out.
5th from the bottom, I think.
So another 8th overall pick unless we win the lottery.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Yes he’s a lot worse. Maybe not taking contract into account but the guy just isn’t an nhl defenseman.

Nick Jensen has played 61 out of 62 games.
Why is he so "automatic?" in the lineup?
4 letters.
NCAA.
And 3 letters.
USA.

That's Blashill's culture. it's what he understands.
It what he wants.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

I'm just saying that whatever level of hope he had, has been frustratingly unrealistic for quite some time.

Yes, XO was a 2nd round pick. But Jensen was taken in the 5th, Ericsson as the last guy overall, and DeKeyser was undrafted (albeit with unique fanfare). I'm sick and tired of this franchise acting like they're the smartest guy in the room, and if they keep trotting these lower pedigree players out there, sooner or later "The Red Wing way" will kick in, and they'll start turning into late round gems, left and right.

They're not finding the guys they need where they're drafting. Going forward, free agency will only yield the Trevor Daleys of the world. And they don't make hockey trades for defensemen.

Pull the plug on the season, get as close to the top of the draft as possible, and use some heavy resources to start fixing the blue line properly. The whole roster is nearly devoid of blue chippers, and "staying competitive" isn't going to fix that.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I enjoyed watching the game actually. You can see the promise in AA and Larkin. Larkin is starting to make plays I did not think he had the hockey IQ for a year or two ago. His slow development encourages me... some young players come into the league and are one hit wonders before their mid 20s. Larkin is on the right path if you ask me.

On a different note, we made alot of good plays in the offensive zone but man... ive never seen a team so weak at shooting a puck. Abdelkader, Ericsson, Nyquist, Zetterberg, Nielsen ... all those guys need a new gym plan. They shot the puck with little to no velocity, and when they do it is so telegraphed.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Get used to it. This is what many people here wanted. They wanted a bad team to lose as much as possible. Don't complain about having to watch a boring team. This will be the case for the next five years at least.

Losing does not have to equate boring. Many have said they have no problem losing with a younger core that has room to grow.

What's boring and disgusting is a 13 mil grind line that can do NOTHING but try and hang in games until a puck gets blasted in the other way like the Blues 2nd goal. Kronwall shouldn't even be playing while Daley and E are beyond past their prime. It doesn't matter if they're a hair better than Russo or Hronek at this point, because they're doing nothing but declining. At least with the prospects there is an upside.

The team is a charade and the only pulse of life is from guys on ELC's. The Wings seriously need to force out some of the overpaid, dead weight this summer.

Reactions: jkutswings

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
speaking of the Nielsen line, it really f***ing pissed me off that they had 3 even strength shifts to start the game before Larkins line even got a second. f*** you blashill.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Losing does not have to equate boring. Many have said they have no problem losing with a younger core that has room to grow.

What's boring and disgusting is a 13 mil grind line that can do NOTHING but try and hang in games until a puck gets blasted in the other way like the Blues 2nd goal. Kronwall shouldn't even be playing while Daley and E are beyond past their prime. It doesn't matter if they're a hair better than Russo or Hronek at this point, because they're doing nothing but declining. At least with the prospects there is an upside.

The team is a charade and the only pulse of life is from guys on ELC's. The Wings seriously need to force out some of the overpaid, dead weight this summer.

You're complaining about nothing. This team sucks. We know. It's going to continue sucking for at least another five years. The old, expensive players you're complaining about won't be around when/if this team is ever good again.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I'm wondering if Athanasiou joins Holland's NTC club this summer. Is anybody on Detroit who isn't on an entry-level contract not in Holland's NTC club?

We have Danny and Justin until about 2022. Ericsson is in there too. I think everyone not on an entry-level.

Geez there aren't a half a dozen other threads dedicated to Holland, his no trade clauses, the trades he made, the trades he didn't make and the status of his future with the club etc, etc, etc....
Do you think maybe we can come to a GDT and, I don't know, read and discuss the individual game being played or that has just been played? I mean it's bad enough people choose to avoid nearly every other thread to keep away from the back and forth nonsense, now it has to be a part of the GDTs?

Reactions: SoupGuru and Oddbob

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
very entertaining game, the effort was great. With tatar gone, mantha took his spot on the wing on the Powerplay, so lets hope blashhill keeps them there for a few games and he can show us his shot.

Larkin and AA were flying, espeacially larkin. This guy is only going to get better, this was an awesome game by him.

perfect result. good game by everyone, but a loss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad