Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Depending on how his camp goes, I can see Angle being one that's looked at as bait. Sirman is a solid PK guy who puts up some points, Playfair had a solid second half and is coming into his own, while Stevenson is reliable and has good size. It also depends on which rookies earn spots. This team isn't going to hand out spots to anyone so if a rookie beats out Sirman, Angle, Stevenson, etc., then anything is possible.

Reactions: punch1943

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
next year is the 'show me' year for guys like angle and playfair. they need to take the next step and show that they can be strong options moving forward given that the depth is returning to the organization. i get that at the start of last year both wherent given much opportunity to play on the offensive side, so this thier time to step up, if they do, great, but personally i dont know if they have it in them. happy to be proven wrong

I would agree with this. In this type of situation it's probably more likely that one of them carves out a future role rather than both of them. When you consider they almost have 4-5 cookie cutter forwards it's going to be very difficult for all them to carve out a role as a regular moving forward.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Depending on how his camp goes, I can see Angle being one that's looked at as bait. Sirman is a solid PK guy who puts up some points, Playfair had a solid second half and is coming into his own, while Stevenson is reliable and has good size. It also depends on which rookies earn spots. This team isn't going to hand out spots to anyone so if a rookie beats out Sirman, Angle, Stevenson, etc., then anything is possible.

I think Sirman probably would be the most vulnerable guy to be moved,too bad I like the way he plays,a useful guy but seeing he turns 19 early into the season,forward corps potentially loaded in numbers.In my view thanks to a full draft board this past draft unlike the past 2 drafts combined with a couple or 3 prospects from the 2 previous drafts competition I predict will be quite stiff.Toss in the fact of an expected Euro forward drafted and if it is who I hope he is,said player will be an impact guy fitting in top 3 or 6.
Overagers I expect would be Larionov and Kitkevicius,plus don't be surprised if another O/A makes his way from the Q,and I suspect it will be a forward.
Add those 4 plus Douglas,Boka, Purboo, D'amico, Playfair, MacDougall, Foudy, Morgan,there is 12 already,plus Angle,Frasca and the aforementioned Sirman,we are at 15.
Forwards from last year's draft Austin Brimmer and Michael Andrews,will be looking to join the club,plus forwards from this year's draft ,Kyle MacDonald, McKay Hayes,Tanner Kelly,and Cade Lemmer,the last 2, American guys with alot of skill will be looking to show their stuff.
Sleeper picks Christian Stevens a 6th Rd pick,and 11th Rd Center Liam Scullion could get looks too,though Stevens has committed to a USA college
and while he was here at rookie camp,not so sure he will attend the main camp.
As all can see alot of forwards,and while only 3 -16 year old forwards would be kept at maximum,the only 1 guaranteed is Foudy at this juncture but there may be up to 6 or 7 looking to win a spot.
I see 20 forwards looking for 14 spots leaving possibly Sirman, Kitkevicius or maybe Angle on the outside looking in.
Should be an interesting camp especially if what I expect occurs vis a vis Euro draft and QHL player signing.
Up next we will talk about the D.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Prior to this coming season, Spits have 6 actually 7 players returning with OHL experience on the D-corps, Corcoran, Stevenson,Staios,Ladd, Starikov, Henault and Hayden Johnston.
The 1st 5 are locks for me,with the 6th guy being Spencer Evans a just turned 16 year old 7th Rd pick 125th o/a
from Oyster Bay NYR.
Evans was the most impressive newcomer at the Spits recent rookie camp,the 6'4"-205 pounder looked like a 3-4 vet out there, impressive skating ability forwards and backwards, lateral, strong hockey sense,no panic in his game,a bit of a bite to his game.
Spits I know want to sign this guy,he seems open to being here,to me very important we get him here.He was ranked 25th by one scouting Service,so getting him 125th would appear to be a steal
Louka Henault appears to have the inside track on the 7th spot on the D, though he may get some competition from the likes of Hayden Johnston (18) and Erik Yelle(17)
Both are bigger and more physical,though Johnston is 18 might be a factor if Spits decide to keep a 17 year old as the 7th D.
I don't see 16 years olds Dylan Robinson,and Owen Shier as being serious contenders this season as well as 17 year old Stefan Dobrich,though a big guy who is improving.
If Windsor can start the year with a starting 6, Corcoran/Starikov, Stevenson/Staios,Ladd/Evans I am good with that,with Henault or perhaps Yelle as a 7th.
1-19 year old,2-18 year olds,3-17 year olds and 16 year old is a nice blend of age plus some experience moving forward.
Not as much depth as upfront overall but promising overall.
Up next the goalies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Windsor's goalie situation is well documented,super tender Michael Dipietro is entering his final season in the OHL,more then likely as a Spitfire with a trade entirely possible just before Christmas or after the World Juniors,a team that he is expected to make and start for.
Not much say other then that the haul the Spits get for him will be substantial, predicting a 2001 or 2002 born plus multiple 2nd round picks(5).
Till such time he will be relied upon to provide mostly stellar goaltending.
2nd year goalie Brock Baier is looking to keep up his fine play at the end of last season/ playoffs,he is already starting,seems to be a man on a mission this off season, already has lost 20 lbs., daily gym workouts,on ice work with his goalie coach,and we are 3-1/2 months from camp.
No doubt in my mind he will be the heir apparent when Dipietro is ultimately dealt,if Dipietro is not moved,then Baier needs to be
I feel that he will fend off any competition,and don't be surprised if the league allows o/a goalies without counting against number of overagers,that Baier would return in 2019/20 too.
16 year old tender Xavier Medina will be looking to make club as Dipietro's backup, don't think that will happen, however I do expect Windsor signing him and bringing him up from where he will be playing once Dipietro is dealt
He is talented,showed very well at rookie camp,need to see him at main camp to get better feel.
The 4th goalie in my mind would be 17 year old Eli Shiller, drafted in the -18 draft,he had a very solid rookie camp showing,will be interested to see how he plays at main camp,has decent size, definitely in tough with the other 3 ahead but a trade makes him the 3rd guy so we will how he developed from here.
The 5th tender is 19 year old Lucas Patton, already about to enter his 3rd season with the Windsor organization,look for him to be dealt just prior to start of year,maybe late summer, too many ahead of him,and with 2 of them 19 years old too, Dipietro and Baier the writing is on the wall.
6th and final goalie is 16 year old Daniel Botelho,drafted mid 10th round,was fine at rookie camp,think it will be next year at the earliest before seeing how much of future he has with Windsor,but then u never know about goalies,toughest to get a true read on.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Legend: D-Men... as for the D-men I agree on Corcoran, Starikov, Staios,Ladd in that order. I too would love to see Evans but I suspect chances are slim and none that he even shows. The last US flavours of the month ..Burns & Trifone are distant memories. Henault and Stevenson are the most at risk and I’d love to see a physical presence added if possible. I think Hayden Johnston will stay back closer to home.
Forwards:
Foudy will be a great addition if only for his speed. I have no hopes for previously drafted forwards to make the team AND make much of an impact and am not holding out hopes for U.S. flyers to show.(been bitten by those dreams too often). So how do we add an impact scorer? ...We don’t. The only assets we have that might bring one in are Boka & Purboo and that would be like taking from Peter to pay Paul. Certainly some of last year’s players will be better and some will be treading water. Hopefully your wish for a top import & a good Q O/A would help but only time will tell.....

Reactions: ohloutsider

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Legend: D-Men... as for the D-men I agree on Corcoran, Starikov, Staios,Ladd in that order. I too would love to see Evans but I suspect chances are slim and none that he even shows. The last US flavours of the month ..Burns & Trifone are distant memories. Henault and Stevenson are the most at risk and I’d love to see a physical presence added if possible. I think Hayden Johnston will stay back closer to home.
Forwards:
Foudy will be a great addition if only for his speed. I have no hopes for previously drafted forwards to make the team AND make much of an impact and am not holding out hopes for U.S. flyers to show.(been bitten by those dreams too often). So how do we add an impact scorer? ...We don’t. The only assets we have that might bring one in are Boka & Purboo and that would be like taking from Peter to pay Paul. Certainly some of last year’s players will be better and some will be treading water. Hopefully your wish for a top import & a good Q O/A would help but only time will tell.....

I think you are right in your last part with the forwards. The problem with an OA is that it would probably take high picks and assets moved to acquire that. Windsor isn't in a position to move any picks at the moment they need to keep them.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
When talking with WR at camp last year he said they expect big things from playfair. Had him tabbed as a future captain! The D needs an infusion of size with some nastiness! I'd like to see a couple of the US flyers join the team. We will get at least 1 premium player maybe 2 when Mikey is traded. I know they have their eyes on a few recent draftees from this and last year. It will depend who is really looking for a cup run lots can happen. Mikey's price has never been higher I see 6- 7 assets in return, 2 of those being players. I think Boka and Purboo will go as well.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
When talking with WR at camp last year he said they expect big things from playfair. Had him tabbed as a future captain! The D needs an infusion of size with some nastiness! I'd like to see a couple of the US flyers join the team. We will get at least 1 premium player maybe 2 when Mikey is traded. I know they have their eyes on a few recent draftees from this and last year. It will depend who is really looking for a cup run lots can happen. Mikey's price has never been higher I see 6- 7 assets in return, 2 of those being players. I think Boka and Purboo will go as well.
In your opinion when will they move Boka and Purboo...at the deadline or early and do you think they will be moved in hockey trades or for picks. I agree that size and nastiness are required to improve the defence but that doesn’t come easily...

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
In your opinion when will they move Boka and Purboo...at the deadline or early and do you think they will be moved in hockey trades or for picks. I agree that size and nastiness are required to improve the defence but that doesn’t come easily...
Prolly late as a team may want that player to fill a roll. Neither will get u much, I would guess picks.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Boka - Purboo.....
Most likely you are kee-wrecked...the way I see it. Unless either or both asks to be traded to a contender early...that’s not improbable in my view. Both need a top notch year to put themselves in better position for pro jobs and playing on a top team will increase your scouting views.
Another thought just occurred to me. It is not inconceivable that DiPietro will miss a number of games at the start of the year while Vancouver assesses his progress...can’t remember a junior goal tender jumping straight to the NHL but never saw anything like what Vegas is pulling off until this year. It would decimate us....

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Boka - Purboo.....
Most likely you are kee-wrecked...the way I see it. Unless either or both asks to be traded to a contender early...that’s not improbable in my view. Both need a top notch year to put themselves in better position for pro jobs and playing on a top team will increase your scouting views.
Another thought just occurred to me. It is not inconceivable that DiPietro will miss a number of games at the start of the year while Vancouver assesses his progress...can’t remember a junior goal tender jumping straight to the NHL but never saw anything like what Vegas is pulling off until this year. It would decimate us....
Don't think DiPietro will make the leap to the pros. Do agree he will likely miss a few games at the start of the year. The fact they took him to the worlds to give him some exposure tells me they have him lined up for the WJT and keeping him for a bit at the Vancouver camp is not out of the question.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Vancouver has a goalie in the minors ready to move up. Mikey is a good 3-4 years away from an NHL job full time. I don't see him missing much. You may see a player go with him when the trade happens. Boka is a solid 3rd line guy who blocks shots and eats minutes, Purboo has proven with the right line mates he can grab points.... never know

Reactions: randomhero4life

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Foudy signs on dotted line...
Windsor, ON) – Jean-Luc Foudy has committed to the Spitfires, agreeing to a Standard Player Agreement with general manager Warren Rychel.
Foudy, 16, was the club’s first-round pick (#10 overall) in the 2018 Ontario Hockey League Priority Selection. He excelled with the Toronto Titans Minor Midget AAAs last season, posting 25 goals and 35 assists in 52 regular season games.
Rychel says the talented centre is a big add to a young group on the rise.
“Jean-Luc is a very intelligent player that can make things happen with the puck,” Rychel said. “Our fans will appreciate his offensive game.”
Foudy’s father Sean played for the Canadian Football League’s Ottawa Rough Riders and B.C. Lions, while his mother, France Gareau, competed for Canada in track and field at the 1984 Olympic Games in Los Angeles.
“He obviously comes from a very athletic family,” Rychel added. “That should serve him well as he continues through his hockey career.”

Reactions: ohloutsider

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Hmmm so the host team is in the finals again!!! Talk to me again about how the data dispels this? Tell them they don't deserve to be there! Tell us y the Soo is still the better team? I'm standing firm. Data don't make a championship team, hard working players with confidence win championships!!!

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Hmmm so the host team is in the finals again!!! Talk to me again about how the data dispels this? Tell them they don't deserve to be there! Tell us y the Soo is still the better team? I'm standing firm. Data don't make a championship team, hard working players with confidence win championships!!!

The last line is key.

Reactions: Teflon

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

You're standing firm even when data disputes what you have stated. We have gone through this before a season full of stats 68 games is a much better indicator of the best teams as compared to a team playing 4 games in a small tournament.

get+off+my+lawn.jpg

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Also helps big when the pats got a break or 2......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->