Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
This was the game Brock Baier needed. Not just for his own confidence, but to show the critics that he's got the talent. He was steady, he was focused, and the first goal was a nice tip. Not much you can do.

Take away that 30-sec burst by the Spirit and the Spits were in control. They did well in both zones and played like this was a playoff game.

Would a 5th overall pick have been nice? Sure. I'll take this, though.

just curious, why would you take this over a top 5 pick?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor with the win.
Moves them to 6th place and now have to play Sarnia.
At least there will be Sarnia fans to come to Windsor to buy tix for the game.
Not drafting 5th might hurt. But we wont know for a couple years.
Was a pretty close game.
Both teams had lots of chances during the game.
Windsor needs to shoot more. They had plenty of chances to shoot again this game and instead pass the puck in the offensive zone. This is a common theme this year. Its VERY frustrating!
Windsor had more pp this game. I know it wont be mentioned. Only mentioned when they lose. When it favors Windsor I guess it is supposed to happen. lol
Baier with his first ohl win I think. Thx to Saginaw pulling their goalie with over 2 min left. Congratulations.
Spirit needed the win in regulation. So pulling the goalie had to be done if the game was tied.
I know Windsor has done this in the past, but how come Windsor did not give the players jerseys away to sth at the end of this game. It is a nice gesture. I guess sth get the short end of the stick again.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
just curious, why would you take this over a top 5 pick?

The Sault should dominate their first-round opponent easily. If they play like they're capable of, it's a sweep. That doesn't help the younger guys on the team. Do all of this and just get four-and-out? Why? Sarnia, while still a tough opponent, is a shorter trip and I think we have a better shot against them. As long as the Spits play like we know they can, they make a series out of it. Will Windsor likely win the series? No. But at least this gives them a better shot at drawing the series out. You'll get a slightly lower pick but you're still going to find a potential franchise-leading player in the top 10.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I would be interested to see the value of 10, 25, 45 vs 5th and what the 2nd and 3rd would be worth. I imagine the former would carry more value.

Easy to guess,though wasn't Mike Dipietro picked 23rd in 2015.
Somebody else suggested it would be 2-3 years before we
see the benefits or not of what happened today.
I agree with that.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Windsor with the win.
Moves them to 6th place and now have to play Sarnia.
At least there will be Sarnia fans to come to Windsor to buy tix for the game.
Not drafting 5th might hurt. But we wont know for a couple years.
Was a pretty close game.
Both teams had lots of chances during the game.
Windsor needs to shoot more. They had plenty of chances to shoot again this game and instead pass the puck in the offensive zone. This is a common theme this year. Its VERY frustrating!
Windsor had more pp this game. I know it wont be mentioned. Only mentioned when they lose. When it favors Windsor I guess it is supposed to happen. lol
Baier with his first ohl win I think. Thx to Saginaw pulling their goalie with over 2 min left. Congratulations.
Spirit needed the win in regulation. So pulling the goalie had to be done if the game was tied.
I know Windsor has done this in the past, but how come Windsor did not give the players jerseys away to sth at the end of this game. It is a nice gesture. I guess sth get the short end of the stick again.

Power plays had nothing to do with the outcome of this game unlike the games last weekend at Erie and Niagara.
1st game in the last 7 Windsor had more PPs, like I said non factor.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Power plays had nothing to do with the outcome of this game unlike the games last weekend at Erie and Niagara.
1st game in the last 7 Windsor had more PPs, like I said non factor.

Its only a non factor because it was in Windsor favor.
Windsor did score a pp goal. Guess that means nothing. lol
I say that did affect the outcome as the game was tied late which made the spirit pull their goalie because a tie was not good for them. They had to win in regulation.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The opening PP goal was huge, as it got the crowd going, but this wasn't on the same level as the Niagara game. The difference being the Niagara game had PP affecting the entire game, not just one goal.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Good luck to Baier.
This is a winnable game.
Will c how he plays. Not feeding him to the wolves.
Not complaining about travel or playing nite before. Both teams have done both.

Still think he has been bad every game despite evidence to the contrary?
The Spits for the whole regular season were 27-15-2-2 against teams not named SSM, Sarnia, Barrie, Kitchener and Owen Sound.Against those 5 teams Spits as mentioned before were 5-15-2,and that's including 2-2 against Kitchener,where Dipietro allowed 19 goals in 4 games played.
Baier played 3 games all year against the other 13 teams in those 46 games,yes only 3, he finished 1-1-1, with a goals against average 2.30, the team average btw was 2.61 excluding empty netters.
It's too bad you can't admit you were wrong when assessing his work, speaks to credibility.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Still think he has been bad every game despite evidence to the contrary?
The Spits for the whole regular season were 27-15-2-2 against teams not named SSM, Sarnia, Barrie, Kitchener and Owen Sound.Against those 5 teams Spits as mentioned before were 5-15-2,and that's including 2-2 against Kitchener,where Dipietro allowed 19 goals in 4 games played.
Baier played 3 games all year against the other 13 teams in those 46 games,yes only 3, he finished 1-1-1, with a goals against average 2.30, the team average btw was 2.61 excluding empty netters.
It's too bad you can't admit you were wrong when assessing his work, speaks to credibility.

u r very predictable.
I guess I will admit when I am wrong when u do the same.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The opening PP goal was huge, as it got the crowd going, but this wasn't on the same level as the Niagara game. The difference being the Niagara game had PP affecting the entire game, not just one goal.

Windsor won because Spirit had to pull the goalie to win in regulation.
PP helped Windsor out today for sure.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Windsor won because Spirit had to pull the goalie to win in regulation.
PP helped Windsor out today for sure.

The post by Jake Smith late in the 3rd ,gave Saginaw the reason to pull the goalie,PP goal in the 1st by Windsor meant nothing when Saginaw tied the game in the 2nd.Spits outchanced them in third, including the missed breakaway by Larionov,pp inconsequential

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
With the win today Spits were 9-6-2 in the final quarter of the regular season.
Jake Smith and Igor Larionov both had 5 points each in the last 2 games,3 points for Smith today,and 3 points last night for Larionov.
Great to see Smith finish with 20 goals on the season,along with 28 assists for 48 points despite missing 9 games.
Smith has scored 11 goals in his last 16 games played.
An excellent free agent signing,along with another refugee from the Q,Igor Larionov, overcoming injuries/ illness has now put up 19 points in his last 17 games, including 6 multi point games.
Again a solid free signing.
It's too bad those 2 players have at times been unfairly criticized,along with forward Cole Purboo who in his 2nd season in the league,the 9th round draft pick came within 2 points of tripling his point totals from last year.Going from a 4th liner in the Mem Cup tournament that had 11G,6 assists all last year to 21G,28A, 49 points this year.
I think for a 9th rounder great value puzzles me why draws criticism.

Reactions: randomhero4life

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
With the win today Spits were 9-6-2 in the final quarter of the regular season.
Jake Smith and Igor Larionov both had 5 points each in the last 2 games,3 points for Smith today,and 3 points last night for Larionov.
Great to see Smith finish with 20 goals on the season,along with 28 assists for 48 points despite missing 9 games.
Smith has scored 11 goals in his last 16 games played.
An excellent free agent signing,along with another refugee from the Q,Igor Larionov, overcoming injuries/ illness has now put up 19 points in his last 17 games, including 6 multi point games.
Again a solid free signing.
It's too bad those 2 players have at times been unfairly criticized,along with forward Cole Purboo who in his 2nd season in the league,the 9th round draft pick came within 2 points of tripling his point totals from last year.Going from a 4th liner in the Mem Cup tournament that had 11G,6 assists all last year to 21G,28A, 49 points this year.
I think for a 9th rounder great value puzzles me why draws criticism.

There's been a few Spit's that exceeded my expectations this season, and I am very happy to say that!! :)

Reactions: hockeylegend11

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
It was a catch 22, looking at a top 5 overall pick vs top 10 etc, etc. Good thing for the Spits is Saginaw's 2nd & 3rd will be high in those rounds.
It is what it is they had a better regular season than 7 other teams.

Windsor had a much better season than I had predicted in September. I thought they'd be on the outside looking in. At best squeek in with some luck. They did well & also positioned themselves nice going forward with the deals made throughout the season.

Realisticly, it will be a good post season if the Spits can take one from the Sting. Can't see them doing much more than that barring a major collaps by Sarnia.

Solid post, Youngblood, agree with pretty much what you have written, though I had good idea that Dipietro wouldn't be dealt,so I felt playoffs were possible,8th maybe 7th after the player purging,team overall had a good season, finished only 1 game under 500 on the road,showed a good work ethic most nights,a closer group then last year,some nice pieces moving forward.
All in all pleased so far, looking forward to the future, including playoffs, drafts,etc.
Looks like Windsor picks 30th in the Euro draft, understand they have a player targeted and that he is a beast.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If Larionov can stay healthy, he's a valuable piece and we've seen that time-and-time again. The issue is actually staying healthy. I'll add this to the "solid FA signing" group, along with Smith, DiGiacinto, Chatfield, Culina, etc. It happens every year and this year is no exception. Sure, there are some bad ones, but if you can get one (or even two) good ones a season... I'll take that.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Easy to guess,though wasn't Mike Dipietro picked 23rd in 2015.
Somebody else suggested it would be 2-3 years before we
see the benefits or not of what happened today.
I agree with that.

Will you come out and give an unbiased account after 2/3 years?

Id take the 5 spots in 1st every time in the top 10, over a couple spots up in each of the 2nd n 3rd. Not even a question for hockey people.
5 vs. 10? Sports.
Razor is right. Those 5 spots in rd 1, so early easily trump a couple spots up in rd 2. No hindsight allowed lol
GMs pay multi 2nds/3rds across every sport to make that jump. Let alone moving 3/4 slots with those 2nd/3rds.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
Solid post, Youngblood, agree with pretty much what you have written, though I had good idea that Dipietro wouldn't be dealt,so I felt playoffs were possible,8th maybe 7th after the player purging,team overall had a good season, finished only 1 game under 500 on the road,showed a good work ethic most nights,a closer group then last year,some nice pieces moving forward.
All in all pleased so far, looking forward to the future, including playoffs, drafts,etc.
Looks like Windsor picks 30th in the Euro draft, understand they have a player targeted and that he is a beast.

I wouldn't trade Dipietro next season either. With the new OA rules being discussed and how goalies move up slower than skaters. Moving him before the writing is on the wall for the end of his junior career is just creating a void for no reason. Unless that reason is an offer they can't refuse.
Great goaltending will keep a team in just about every game. But equal to that was the work ethic this group brought night and night out. It's a fun group to follow, it's captivating seeing how it will unfold even if you want them to fail, a weird phenomenon that I don't understand but that's just me.
Euro draft is a crap shoot and it's shady, with teams passing on making picks if they've done their homework they should be able to land that player without issue. But there's always an issue lol!

Reactions: randomhero4life

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I wouldn't trade Dipietro next season either. With the new OA rules being discussed and how goalies move up slower than skaters. Moving him before the writing is on the wall for the end of his junior career is just creating a void for no reason. Unless that reason is an offer they can't refuse.
Great goaltending will keep a team in just about every game. But equal to that was the work ethic this group brought night and night out. It's a fun group to follow, it's captivating seeing how it will unfold even if you want them to fail, a weird phenomenon that I don't understand but that's just me.
Euro draft is a crap shoot and it's shady, with teams passing on making picks if they've done their homework they should be able to land that player without issue. But there's always an issue lol!

DiPietro isn't coming back as an OA. The Canucks have Demko who's going to be knocking on the door if not next year certainly starting in Oct 2019. Demko has shared time in Utica with a 30 year old journeyman. DiPietro will replace Demko in Utica. It's not about creating a void for no reason it's making a move for a healthier long term future for the franchise. I can understand people being happy with the playoffs but this organization needs to get to the point where they aren't prohibitive underdogs in a 1st round series. I guess the only time since 2011 they weren't a prohibitive underdog was last year but that was more of a push or a pick-em as opposed to the Spits being favored. Spits still need to stock the cupboards with draft picks to be consistently good year to year.

Reactions: SpItFiReZ

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Stumbled across an article on Elite Prospects about Dommink Bokk. In the article it states how there was a deal in place to join the Spits in the import draft but Prince Albert drafted him first so he chose to stay in Sweden.

Would have been a hell of a pick up and seems like Kozhevnikov was a reach or back up.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Will you come out and give an unbiased account after 2/3 years?

Id take the 5 spots in 1st every time in the top 10, over a couple spots up in each of the 2nd n 3rd. Not even a question for hockey people.
5 vs. 10? Sports.
Razor is right. Those 5 spots in rd 1, so early easily trump a couple spots up in rd 2. No hindsight allowed lol
GMs pay multi 2nds/3rds across every sport to make that jump. Let alone moving 3/4 slots with those 2nd/3rds.

I can recall Kingston saying they had a player you are familiar with Cody Morgan,whom they had rated 5th,and they got him 12th,this happens more then u know, who can say till things unfold,better to wait 2-3 years,what would say if the 2nd rounder turns out better or equal to the guy drafted 5th,and if it's a dman might be a real different story if Windsor was drafting a forward,too many variables to say definitely who is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad