Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Game day Windsor vs Saginaw at the WFCU Center
Expecting Mike Dipietro in goal for Windsor after his night off in Sarnia, while Evan Cormier should get the nod for the Spirit despite playing last night in Saginaw's 5-3 loss at home including empty netter to Kitchener.
A Saginaw win this afternoon will put them in a 3 way tie for 4th in the conference with Windsor and London.
London is in action this afternoon as well as they play at Kitchener.
Pretty much expect the same Windsor lineup that played against Sarnia in the past 2 games as both forwards Luke Kitkevicius (wrist),Igor Larionov (upper body) remain out of the lineup,in fact both not expected back for another 10 days or so.
Will be interesting to see if Warren adds another forward(o/a) by tomorrow's January 15 deadline for signing o/as.

Reactions: punch1943

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Haha on here? Never!

I don't think the days of scrapper are completely over. The days of one-dimensional enforcer are, but you've still got guys who can seriously throw 'em - Douglas, Carbonara, Allen (Osh), the Pilons in Sudbury, Pezzetta, etc. I don't think you'll ever get rid of that style 100%.

Time to get out of the stone age!

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
The remainder of January will go along way in determining where the Spits will finish the season. It could be anywhere between 4th and 8th in the Conference. We have 7 games, all against Conference opponents. Four of those games are against teams that we are competing with for position, London, Guelph and twice against Saginaw. They also play Flint twice, it appears that Flint will miss the playoffs. The other game is against the Soo. Anything other than a regulation loss against the Soo will be a huge positive. If the Spits can do between 8 and 10 points in the other 6 games, it would seem to me that they can compete for 4th and 5th. The way the Western Conference is shaping up, finishing 4th or 5th seems to be the only way that winning the 1st round is possible. Without knowing the matchups, I would predict that Soo wins the 1st round in 4 (and also the 2nd round). Kitchener and Sarnia will win the 1st round in 5 each, and go 6 or 7 games against each other in the 2nd round.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Haha on here? Never!

I don't think the days of scrapper are completely over. The days of one-dimensional enforcer are, but you've still got guys who can seriously throw 'em - Douglas, Carbonara, Allen (Osh), the Pilons in Sudbury, Pezzetta, etc. I don't think you'll ever get rid of that style 100%.
I agree with this post. We don't really know who is the toughest kid in the league anymore because of the direction hockey has taken. If you look at some of the teams that have won championships though you would see they had a few guys that could handle themselves on the roster. The NHL still has quite a few players that cam handle the rough going if someone takes a cheap shot at a smaller or skilled player.
Some players play on the edge and once in a while step over it by nailing a skilled kid. These are the times where a player like this needs a lesson in humility.

Reactions: randomhero4life

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor losses in a shootout.
Was very painful to watch.
Windsor really had no reason to be in this game.
Was out shot almost 3 to 1. 1st period didn't get a shot till 8 min in. 2nd no shots till 11 min in.
They r too small on the boards. Can't keep the pressure in the offensive zone.
Dipietro saved them like he has time after time.
Next year should be better hopefully.
Hopefully.

Reactions: Teflon

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Lucky to escape with the one point, but that's why DiPietro is here. Shots weren't even close and effort was inconsistent; part of the process. Some games are going to be good. Others, not so much. Take the point and get ready for next weekend.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Windsor losses in a shootout.
Was very painful to watch.
Windsor really had no reason to be in this game.
Was out shot almost 3 to 1. 1st period didn't get a shot till 8 min in. 2nd no shots till 11 min in.
They r too small on the boards. Can't keep the pressure in the offensive zone.
Dipietro saved them like he has time after time.
Next year should be better hopefully.
Hopefully.

That was a real bad performance against a team that isn't necessarily much older than Windsor, played the prior night and they completely dominated Windsor. You're right about the forwards a lot of them don't have a lot of creativeness with the puck, they lack confidence. The best forward the past couple weeks has been Douglas unfortunately at this current time he sees ice in OT and he's not suited for that style. Last week he coughed up the puck that almost led to an Ottawa goal. This week he got caught down low and never got back into the play and Saginaw ended up with a PP. Douglas looks good 5 on 5 and has decent puck skills due to his skating at this point though OT isn't his thing.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So we shot down the standings this weekend picking up 1 of a possible 6 points:(. I think I posted before Christmas don't be surprised if we only win 4 or 5 after the trade deadline and Mikey would be the reason we won - not really wanting that prediction to come true but we have won 0 games thus far after the deadline. Kids still work very hard but not really a group that is going to score many. Morgan has skill and I can see him being a top second line guy by next year. Like what I see from Ladd - has the skill but lots of rookie mistakes. Not liking what I'm seeing from Purboo, Boka and some of the other "vets" - realize they are not top line guys on most teams but there are plays they need to make if we can even win a few more this year. Hoping a week of practice and playing London on Thursday will spark these guys - if not then we will pick high in the draft - sorta a win/win for this team.

Wanted to put out a "player of the game" each time they play - I'm sure most won't agree with my choice but it fills in the holes after the trade deadline and what may be a tough road to the playoffs.
So last Thursday I mentioned I though D'Amico had a great game and liked his willingness to battle in the corners so he gets the nod for Thursday.
Friday in Sarnia seemed to me Angle was the only one that was flying every shift and was trying to make things happen. Like how he has come on the last few games and if he could get some puck luck with the effort he could bury a few for us - He gets the nod for Friday.
Yesterday it was an easy pick - the only reason we got a point - I mean 48 shots and only allowed 2 goals - DiPietro gets the nod for Sundays game.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
We were talking about this at the game; something seems off with Purboo now. The talent is there, generally, but it feels like he's seriously missing Brown and Luchuk. I don't want to say his production depended on them, but...

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
We were talking about this at the game; something seems off with Purboo now. The talent is there, generally, but it feels like he's seriously missing Brown and Luchuk. I don't want to say his production depended on them, but...
Absolutely correct, he's also missing Day/McEneny's point shot/experience...Our PP will be a shadow of its former self because of those people AND because now we lose more faceoff draws than we win....

Reactions: windsor7

member 71782

Tough weekend for the kids and regardless of how most of us expect the team to struggle to get wins from now until the end of the season does not mean we should not have expectations either.

I said at the end of the deadline the team we see the next two weeks will not likely be the same team going forward after that point. This should still be the case with the new kids having had a couple of weeks to settle into their new surroundings, getting to know their team mates as well as practice/learning the systems/adjusting to new roles and ice time.

All that being said a 2 - 1 shoot out loss, while on the surface may not sound too bad being outshot nearly 3 - 1 (49 - 17) is not good. The bright spot? Blocked shots and getting sticks in the way probably prevented another 15 potential shots.

The vets need to be better, Boka, Purboo among others need to show they can be a leadership group going forward as well as contributors.

The young/new kids who have been here since the start of the season. Those who were contributing before have got to get back to where they were.

The new kids have to be willing to push the pace a bit if the others aren't. Douglas has been doing it, Ladd looks to be settling in a bit on the blueline but Morgan looks a bit skittish out there at times. Even Rychel pointed out in the intermission he needs to pick up the pace a bit to the level of the Western Conference instead of playing at the pace of the Eastern Conference. He also said once he makes that adjustment he will be a very good player going forward and yes, you can see his potential, just seems to lack a bit of confidence. Reminds a bit of Henrique his first two of seasons where a lot of people thought he would top out as a second line centre, maybe third line at best. Once he gets going I think he will be fine, the sooner he realizes he is capable the better he will be.

As for Sunday, bad games happen, especially with a younger roster. Look at it, learn from it and move on but there is no excuse for poor play when playing an opponent that is just as young and not much more experienced.

Reactions: Teflon

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

He production ONLY depends on if he has all the talant around him. He can get the occasion point or goal but that is it.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Tough weekend for the kids and regardless of how most of us expect the team to struggle to get wins from now until the end of the season does not mean we should not have expectations either.

I said at the end of the deadline the team we see the next two weeks will not likely be the same team going forward after that point. This should still be the case with the new kids having had a couple of weeks to settle into their new surroundings, getting to know their team mates as well as practice/learning the systems/adjusting to new roles and ice time.

All that being said a 2 - 1 shoot out loss, while on the surface may not sound too bad being outshot nearly 3 - 1 (49 - 17) is not good. The bright spot? Blocked shots and getting sticks in the way probably prevented another 15 potential shots.

The vets need to be better, Boka, Purboo among others need to show they can be a leadership group going forward as well as contributors.

The young/new kids who have been here since the start of the season. Those who were contributing before have got to get back to where they were.

The new kids have to be willing to push the pace a bit if the others aren't. Douglas has been doing it, Ladd looks to be settling in a bit on the blueline but Morgan looks a bit skittish out there at times. Even Rychel pointed out in the intermission he needs to pick up the pace a bit to the level of the Western Conference instead of playing at the pace of the Eastern Conference. He also said once he makes that adjustment he will be a very good player going forward and yes, you can see his potential, just seems to lack a bit of confidence. Reminds a bit of Henrique his first two of seasons where a lot of people thought he would top out as a second line centre, maybe third line at best. Once he gets going I think he will be fine, the sooner he realizes he is capable the better he will be.

As for Sunday, bad games happen, especially with a younger roster. Look at it, learn from it and move on but there is no excuse for poor play when playing an opponent that is just as young and not much more experienced.

I would agree with a lot of this. Some may think the Spits played better against Sarnia but the Sting are more talented in every area and the games weren't close. Then you have yesterday which should have been a better barometer of looking at this team and they never showed up but got a point. Biggest issue is they look a lot like the Mississauga teams out East. Low goal scoring, depend on defense and goaltending. Forwards like Sirman/Angle/Playfair are pluggers they aren't high upside guys capable of being a top 6 forward. Then a few others the jury is still out on. Throw in some vets like Purboo and Boka who are going to be depended on to carry the load but they're not ready for it. Really need to find some top forwards moving forward.

Outsider this team should still have plenty more than 5 or 6 wins. You had this game against Saginaw, games against Flint, London sold off. There should be plenty of opportunities but that's up to the players if they want to put in the work. Outsider Angle needs more skill more than just puck luck. He skates well but doesn't have great hands or a great shot. If he wants to get rewarded more maybe he needs to shoot the puck more than 64 times during the year.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I would agree with a lot of this. Some may think the Spits played better against Sarnia but the Sting are more talented in every area and the games weren't close. Then you have yesterday which should have been a better barometer of looking at this team and they never showed up but got a point. Biggest issue is they look a lot like the Mississauga teams out East. Low goal scoring, depend on defense and goaltending. Forwards like Sirman/Angle/Playfair are pluggers they aren't high upside guys capable of being a top 6 forward. Then a few others the jury is still out on. Throw in some vets like Purboo and Boka who are going to be depended on to carry the load but they're not ready for it. Really need to find some top forwards moving forward.

Outsider this team should still have plenty more than 5 or 6 wins. You had this game against Saginaw, games against Flint, London sold off. There should be plenty of opportunities but that's up to the players if they want to put in the work. Outsider Angle needs more skill more than just puck luck. He skates well but doesn't have great hands or a great shot. If he wants to get rewarded more maybe he needs to shoot the puck more than 64 times during the year.
So I count 14 games left where we play a team equal to us or lower in the standings - we win half so that is 7 wins and maybe still 1 or 2 against contenders, Dipietro sits out a couple of games and we win 4 or 5 - not wanting to be down on the team but wins are going to be hard to come by. Every spot lower in the standings is a spot higher in the draft - we don't lose either way so I'm good where ever we end up.
I agree about Angle but my thoughts were only about the game Friday - seemed to me he was the one player who did not take his foot off the gas and he did have some bad puck luck in that game - yes he is a grinder and yes he needs to shoot more but for me he was the best player on the ice Friday for the Spits.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
So I count 14 games left where we play a team equal to us or lower in the standings - we win half so that is 7 wins and maybe still 1 or 2 against contenders, Dipietro sits out a couple of games and we win 4 or 5 - not wanting to be down on the team but wins are going to be hard to come by. Every spot lower in the standings is a spot higher in the draft - we don't lose either way so I'm good where ever we end up.
I agree about Angle but my thoughts were only about the game Friday - seemed to me he was the one player who did not take his foot off the gas and he did have some bad puck luck in that game - yes he is a grinder and yes he needs to shoot more but for me he was the best player on the ice Friday for the Spits.

That's fair. Angle isn't the only one who needs to shoot more though. Letowski needs to get the Rocky out of him. Spits are 18th in the league in shot differential -178, ahead of only Peterborough and Sudbury exactly not the best company to be compared with. To date the only reason they are where they are is because of DiPietro. Maybe Rychel is going to find Letowski another great goalie because if he doesn't then I have no idea what Letowski's system really is? Sit back and wait for DiPietro to bail them out?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

purboo and boka are not play drivers, they dont possess the puck enough to be guys who can be lead guys on lines. they are support players who succeed off of the success of their linemates. when you take the linemates away, they are not skilled enough to drive the offense on their own. with purboo specifically i believe the advanced numbers would show that when he plays with less talented linemates, hes less effective. personally they may have been pumped up by the guys they where playing with, not their own skill. its no mistake that purboos numbers have taken a steep decline since brown left for the u17 and luchuk left. hes a good depth palyer on a good team, but hes out of place as a top line player, not his fault.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
That's fair. Angle isn't the only one who needs to shoot more though. Letowski needs to get the Rocky out of him. Spits are 18th in the league in shot differential -178, ahead of only Peterborough and Sudbury exactly not the best company to be compared with. To date the only reason they are where they are is because of DiPietro. Maybe Rychel is going to find Letowski another great goalie because if he doesn't then I have no idea what Letowski's system really is? Sit back and wait for DiPietro to bail them out?

were the third worst team in the ohl in shot differential, and thats with brown/luchuk's shot included. we dont possess the puck enough to shoot more right now.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
purboo and boka are not play drivers, they dont possess the puck enough to be guys who can be lead guys on lines. they are support players who succeed off of the success of their linemates. when you take the linemates away, they are not skilled enough to drive the offense on their own. with purboo specifically i believe the advanced numbers would show that when he plays with less talented linemates, hes less effective. personally they may have been pumped up by the guys they where playing with, not their own skill. its no mistake that purboos numbers have taken a steep decline since brown left for the u17 and luchuk left. hes a good depth palyer on a good team, but hes out of place as a top line player, not his fault.

Actually he has 9 points in his last 11 games since the Luchuk trade, pointless in last 2,Brown not here either,Day only played 2 games pointless.Also Purboo picked up alot of points playing with Sirman and MacDougall,as well as getting goals on the PP.While not a ,top line guy,doing well for his 2nd year in the league, especially a 9th Rd pick,nice value.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Actually he has 9 points in his last 11 games since the Luchuk trade, pointless in last 2,Brown not here either,Day only played 2 games pointless.Also Purboo picked up alot of points playing with Sirman and MacDougall,as well as getting goals on the PP.While not a ,top line guy,doing well for his 2nd year in the league, especially a 9th Rd pick,nice value.

im not really into semantics nor get the need to play them.

since the wjc he has 3 points (9 games), he was averaging a point per game before then. his shooting percentage has taken a substantial dip since then.

all im saying is hes not a play driver, hes not a front line guy, thats all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->