Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits at Sarnia tonight
Spits going with same lineup forward and defence, however Lucas Patton gets the start, Dipietro the night off and Baier is the backup.
Fazio starts in goal for the Sting

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
From what I saw on Twitter, lines are a bit mixed from last night. Give guys a chance to develop some chemistry. I'm interested to see what Patton can do.
Smart move on the part of the Spits. Their best shot at winning comes Sunday against Saggy. This gives them a shot at getting 1 win out of the 3 games. Big night in Sarnia tonight...

member 71782

When was Baier's last start?

I like Patton's game more than Baier's at this point but find it strange the last 3 or 4 games DiPietro hasn't started Patton has.

I do like the idea if they're not starting DiPietro then they don't dress him only because the team, other goaltenders included need to build confidence in their own games and not always rely on DiPietro.

Just find it strange they are sticking with Patton at this point, unless there is hope for interest in him come the off season/next season and they are looking to up his value with some development time.

member 71782

Baier - Dec 10 in SSM.

I get the impression that Patton's starting just because his number support it, especially against a higher offence team like Sarnia.

Patton being on a B card how many games has he played of the 10 allowed?

Is this his first outside of WJC time frame?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Starikov with his frist OHL fight. Ernst (same guy who was involved with Douglas last night) got Boka in the head to end the second period. In the third, Ernst takes a shot on net, then collides with Starikov. They immediately drop the mitts...and Starikov goes to town. Lots of uppercuts with the left, then rights. Ernst might have had a shot or two late but Starikov really used his size well. Props, kid!

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
6-1 Sarnia final.

Kind of the game you expected - both teams energetic but Sarnia's experience takes over again. It got chippy near the end with the Starikov tilt and Douglas/Pezzetta almost going. Boka and Pezzetta had a shouting match from their benches, too.

These kinds of games are going to happen. Next up is Saginaw on Sunday.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
6-1 Sarnia final.

Kind of the game you expected - both teams energetic but Sarnia's experience takes over again. It got chippy near the end with the Starikov tilt and Douglas/Pezzetta almost going. Boka and Pezzetta had a shouting match from their benches, too.

These kinds of games are going to happen. Next up is Saginaw on Sunday.

You have all your bases covered the last two games. From, this team is going to show effort and desire and lose a close game. To when they get blown out of the arena these games happen as well. Good to know the result never matters these next 26 games. Yes or no do the games matter the rest of the year? Don't tip toe around it just give a yes or no. Own your statement.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Yes. Games always matter. You will want to win games to ensure the playoffs. No, I'm not going to sweat losing back-to-back to Sarnia, one of the most high-powered offences in the league. This team isn't going to win every night. If they show they're developing and improving, especially when you play the elite teams, I'm good with that. If they show they're competitive and are giving it everything they have for 60-minutes, I'm good with that. If they have a lackluster effort against a bottom-dweller then, no, that's not acceptable. (is that what you were looking for?)

Reactions: ChewChewTrain

member 71782

Patton would be my preference over Baier going forward, that being said was not Patton's best game.

Next time DiPietro doesn't start it is time to give Baier the next game, especially since he hasn't started in over a month.

Overall, even though the team kept pushing last night they played on Thursday then they did Friday.

Young or not, win or not they need to play a better game Sunday.

Reactions: SpItFiReZ

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Patton would be my preference over Baier going forward, that being said was not Patton's best game.

Next time DiPietro doesn't start it is time to give Baier the next game, especially since he hasn't started in over a month.

Overall, even though the team kept pushing last night they played on Thursday then they did Friday.

Young or not, win or not they need to play a better game Sunday.
Odds are they will play better at home and against a poorer opponent. As I said in a previous post, Sunday is their best shot to get points so it was best to save DiPietro for Sunday. May win, may not but best shot. Getting a playoff spot is going to be a challenge...

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Thoughts from last night - there are 3 "have" teams and 7 "have not" teams in the Western conference - we need to be able to beat the "have not" teams because we will likely not beat any of the "have" teams - can you ever see the difference between skill levels.
MIA - Sirman, McDougall and Purboo - really need these guys to get going and back to pre-christmas play or we are in for a long drawn out finish to the year. Likely we see that anyway but with them we will at least look competitive.
Boy does our blueline look young! Only 2 players over 17 and one of them is Stevenson really shows.
Heard rumors on why Baier is not playing and it really makes you wonder when they sit their #1 guy and leapfrog to their #3 guy- stay tuned.
Really liked Starikov saying enough is enough last night to Ernst, don't like fighting but seeing him give some emotion has to make the scouts turn their head a bit - he will need some jam if he wants to move up.
Not sure what to think of the captain/leader thing - not seeing much from anyone on the ice that rings captain to me but I've seen Boka leading the warmups so that might be a clue. On ice is about a third of what a captain needs to bring. I would be ok with waiting until next year but I'm sure nobody will consult me on this.

Tomorrow we play Saginaw that only made 1 move at the deadline - this team is already playing on all cylinders so it will not be easy - Mikey must play better than Thursday and he will be a factor on how this game goes - but we also need to score to win so boys need to step it up. Hard work at this point is the only edge we have so they have to keep churning the whole game, no let up.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Odds are they will play better at home and against a poorer opponent. As I said in a previous post, Sunday is their best shot to get points so it was best to save DiPietro for Sunday. May win, may not but best shot. Getting a playoff spot is going to be a challenge...

Don't think getting a playoff spot will be a challenge, Erie is 14 points back, Windsor with a game in hand,and Erie dumped players at the deadline,2-15 on the road, might not get better, rookies in goal,it's finishing in the dreaded 8th spot to face SSM in the 1st round that's the problem.
Think Windsor,London, and maybe stress maybe Owen Sound will battle for 6-8 spots.
Windsor outscored 11-4 to Sarnia in last 2 games after trade deadline, London outscored,10-2 against Kitchener and Hamilton in their last 2 games since trade deadline both at home.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Nice ceremony for Stamkos, and he is sure a great orator.I was really impressed by his speech.

and then can u believe it in the OHL a hockey game broke out.lmao........

Nice to see Starikov say enough is enough, but after that bad blind side hit by Ernst, when the 3rd started Letowski should have had Shankar out on Ernst next shift next to him at the faceoff.If this guys gonna protect then lets do it and quit F'n around.Now thats old school dont work now I know but no better way to build team togetherness and chemistry then sticking up for each other when needed.

Spits lost the handle in the 3rd but up till then didnt play bad for a young team.Patton got some time in and gets more of a handle on how fast this game is and the speed of the pucks next to jr B.I hope we can have a 3 tender rotation if its allowed or not I dont know.Let the team take their lumps they will be better for it next season is always the thinking.Were in a rebuild right???

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
You have all your bases covered the last two games. From, this team is going to show effort and desire and lose a close game. To when they get blown out of the arena these games happen as well. Good to know the result never matters these next 26 games. Yes or no do the games matter the rest of the year? Don't tip toe around it just give a yes or no. Own your statement.
Every game matters. Every player should be playing to win the game as well as for their future. If a player or coach goes into a game thinking it doesn't matter they should be gone. Players should not be playing for a higher draft choice.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad