Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Im looking forward to Shankar bringing a physical presence and protect our youngsters esp. now that we have some young 1st rounders. If someone is taking adavtage of them send him out to warn or drop em. He already has a couple suspensions dont know all the rules on how many you can get.But......you wanna put butts back in the seats we need a litttle vince mcmahon type hockey again in Windsor.
I think you are correct - I'm sure Mr Shankar knows his role here - also notice Douglas gets a lot of space - that can really help on the PP. If Starikov would just growl at a few players would be a big plus.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I think you are correct - I'm sure Mr Shankar knows his role here - also notice Douglas gets a lot of space - that can really help on the PP. If Starikov would just growl at a few players would be a big plus.

Starikov has been willing to get involved on a couple of occasions, which is good to see. One was right in front of me and he looked like Ivan Drago haha

member 71782

Considering how devoid of early picks Windsor's draft cupboard was Rychel has done an excellent job of bringing the pick situation back to balance, even adding a couple of extra for the 2021 draft and beyond.

As for the next 3 drafts I would consider the picks added to be only fair at best. Considering Rychel moved 4 of the biggest pieces available in the next 3 drafts he only added a combination of 5 2nd and 3rd rounders but one of those had to be given up to meet the conditions of the Laishram deal.

Adding a 2000 born and 2 2001 born players helps adding youth to the line up this year but looking beyond the deals and seeing the immediate future of Windsor's draft board shows there is still a lot of work to be done.

Some will say those picks or extra picks if Windsor chooses to add them can be acquired before the draft (referring to 2018 draft) while true each such deal to add extra picks or fill in remaining holes will create at least 2 more holes down the road.

If DiPietro, or others are moved next year that should help fill in some of the missing picks in the 2019 and 2020 drafts as well as add a couple of extras down the road for future deals.

While an overall good job at adding youth/restocking distant picks not exactly a great job with the immediate future/next 3 drafts only slightly improved.

Updated Picks

2018 - 1, Sag 2, Sag 3, 6, 7, Sar 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, Kit 13, Ott 14, Ott 15
2019 - 1, King 2, 4, Kit 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 13, 14
2020 - 1, King 3, 4, Osh 4, Kit 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, Ott 14, 15
2021 - 1, Sud 2, 3•, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, Bar 15
2022 - 1, Bar 2, King 2, 3•, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
2023 - 1, Kit 2, 3,King 3 (cond), Kit 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Kingston 3rd conditional on Vilardi playing 1 playoff game.

• Windsor 3rds in 2021 and 2022 conditional on Graham Knott playing an OA year and/or Trent Frederics reporting. Appears conditions won't be met and Windsor will retain both picks so I have added them back to Windsor's pick list here.

2024 - 1, Kit 2, Bar 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
2025 - 1, King 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Windsor 2nd in 2025 was a conditional pick to Kitchener that was to be upgraded when Windsor acquired a higher pick. It's been reported here and elsewhere that the conditions were removed which I assume to mean Kitchener keeps the 2025 pick instead of an upgraded pick. If this is incorrect someone please correct.

2026 - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 15
2027 - 1, 2, King 2 (cond), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
2028 - 1, 2, King 2 (cond), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Kingston 2nds in 2027 and 2028 conditional on Vilardi returning in 2018/19 season. Vilardi expected to make LA and not return so Windsor likely doesn't see these picks.

There are other conditional picks involving Windsor in mid/later rounds. Only 2nd/3rd round conditionals accounted for.

Definitely looking forward to seeing what the kids do, while I would have preferred to see DiPietro moved there's no doubt he can provide some stability for the kids the rest of the season.

While there should be no doubt moving DiPietro should bring in picks in the 2019 and 2020 drafts, plus a couple of more I'm not 100% that a half a year of DiPietro returns a 2002 as well. Something along the lines of 4 2nds and a 3rd or 3 2nds and 2/3 3rds is what I can see coming back. If he returns a 2002 I can see 2 2nds with that. I don't think he will be the only option available. May still be the best but there should be other good options.

Next year, and the year after Windsor needs to also start stockpiling some extra 2nds and 3rds in 2021 and beyond if they want assets to deal without fully draining the cupboard for the next time they are ready to contend.

No one is arguing that it takes two to consummate a deal, that's obvious.

The question is how did Rychel do at the deadline in terms of the deals he made.

Obviously most of us are not privy to all offers made and the various structures of them and those who are won't be giving out details, rightfully so.

So if the best that Rychel could do was come up short in the near term and just above break even in the long term then how did he really do?

Obviously most people would consider the short term, immediate future the priority.

The next 3 years needs a lot of work still. Some of it taken care of but not all and considering what was moved not in a great way.

Longer term, did very well. Brought things back to even and added extra to boot. Well done.

What is more pressing?

Next year and the following years which should wind up with a run or 5/6 years down the road where yes, assets will be needed but if you can put yourself in a better position early you shouldn't need as much later.

No one said he did a horrible job, got a lot back but was he the top GM at the deadline?

Probably not.

I'm not anywhere near a WR sloppy but I gotta disagree. He made the best deals that were out there, would u rather he kept guys instead? He refilled the draft cupboard and then some. Those pics will not only be used by the Spits but will give him some trade flexibility to move some. Not his choice to keep Dipi but you can be sure when he does go next year the team will gain a pile of pics and at least 1 high end player. There was no way to make another run so they had to sell. Everyone in the league knew he was selling. All that said and he still grabbed 2 1st rnd players and a huge number of pics and you don't think he was the best GM??? You need to either do some more research or shake your head. The hounds are still the easy favourite so what did the teams he traded with really accomplish??? Yea a few might compete better but when u move assets like 1st rounders you better be sure your gonna do more than compete!!

Added a few more posts of mine that were all a relevant part of the conversation that was going on.

Maybe they will help you understand what led up to what was being said and the context.

As for my opinion about Rychel not being the top GM at the deadline?

Check out how a couple of big time buyers did managing to keep/acquire more picks than Rychel did for 2018. I think they did a decent job considering they were spending.

Check out how London did considering they sold as much as Windsor, got equivalent young talent and are primed to contend at a similar time as Windsor. I think they did alright.

that's three that can be justifiably argued that did as well/better than Rychel did.

Disagree? No problem, we all have our views and opinions.

As for give my head a shake.

Really, and your not a Rychel slappy yet in one post you came across just as lathered up as Legend or OHLTG ever could.

Never said Rychel did a horrible job, most of what I said was pretty complimentary but pointing out he was not the top GM at the deadline and you want to get insulting, yeah, sounds more like a slappy than not.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Tonight we begin the 2nd half of the season with a revamped team and high hopes for the future after numerous moves by WR.
It was expected by numerous people (including myself) that the Spits would try to get as many points as possible before selling off.
They were able to do just that thanks in part to overworking their goaltender. Now the question, at least in my mind, is how far they will fall and how fast.
With virtually no seasoned vets both on offence and defence times are going to be difficult more often than not.
DiPietro may well wish he hadn’t used his NTC. I expect he will find himself as the proverbial sitting duck in the shooting gallery.
As his personal stats fall by the wayside I expect he will find himself sharing playing time more often and getting yanked from time to time. While I’m sure most will disagree with my opinion it seems only logical to me....

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Added a few more posts of mine that were all a relevant part of the conversation that was going on.

Maybe they will help you understand what led up to what was being said and the context.

As for my opinion about Rychel not being the top GM at the deadline?

Check out how a couple of big time buyers did managing to keep/acquire more picks than Rychel did for 2018. I think they did a decent job considering they were spending.

Check out how London did considering they sold as much as Windsor, got equivalent young talent and are primed to contend at a similar time as Windsor. I think they did alright.

that's three that can be justifiably argued that did as well/better than Rychel did.

Disagree? No problem, we all have our views and opinions.

As for give my head a shake.

Really, and your not a Rychel slappy yet in one post you came across just as lathered up as Legend or OHLTG ever could.

Never said Rychel did a horrible job, most of what I said was pretty complimentary but pointing out he was not the top GM at the deadline and you want to get insulting, yeah, sounds more like a slappy than not.

rychel did very well, london did too. not sure why anyone would go after you for saying as much.

Reactions: randomhero4life

member 71782

Tonight we begin the 2nd half of the season with a revamped team and high hopes for the future after numerous moves by WR.
It was expected by numerous people (including myself) that the Spits would try to get as many points as possible before selling off.
They were able to do just that thanks in part to overworking their goaltender. Now the question, at least in my mind, is how far they will fall and how fast.
With virtually no seasoned vets both on offence and defence times are going to be difficult more often than not.
DiPietro may well wish he hadn’t used his NTC. I expect he will find himself as the proverbial sitting duck in the shooting gallery.
As his personal stats fall by the wayside I expect he will find himself sharing playing time more often and getting yanked from time to time. While I’m sure most will disagree with my opinion it seems only logical to me....

While I do think we will see a drop in the standings I don't think we will see a huge drop in the level of play.

There will be an adjustment period no doubt as new faces settle in with the team and ice time increases as responsibility levels grow and Letowski sees who fits best with who and in what situations.

The one good point about DiPietro staying is while his personal stats will take a hit initially he allows the kids to be more aggressive in their approach and development.

Let the kids play, let them make their mistakes and they will learn and gain confidence. I've been looking forward to this moment all season, when the youth can start taking control.

I think they finish 7th overall and the next two weeks will look a lot different than the team we will see going into the post season.

The fun, and at times frustrating part of a rebuild, watching the kids grow.

member 71782

I'm hoping/guessing some of it was misunderstood or not seen in the full context.

Considering the circumstances Rychel did well. Doesn't mean it was perfect or that there isn't work to do and doesn't mean there weren't others who did as well or better.

DiPietro not waving handcuffs him a bit.

Recovering the distant picks and adding solid youth was great.

Coming up with fewer early picks leaves some to be desired but as I had said, it takes two to deal.

Work in progress.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Ur right didn't see all of it. That said London arguably gave up more talent. You gotta remember the Spits moved a guy who hasn't played a game all year, one is is hurt more than not and one who is having an oddity of an OA year. While good players all of them have drawbacks. Ask around the team offices and scouts, to a man they think the Spits did outstanding. Not my words! I've got a few chats tonight to get to. I'll have a better grasp on a few things after that. There's something being discussed at league offices to help get more US kids on board. I'll see what's brewing there as well.

member 71782

Ur right didn't see all of it. That said London arguably gave up more talent. You gotta remember the Spits moved a guy who hasn't played a game all year, one is is hurt more than not and one who is having an oddity of an OA year. While good players all of them have drawbacks. Ask around the team offices and scouts, to a man they think the Spits did outstanding. Not my words! I've got a few chats tonight to get to. I'll have a better grasp on a few things after that. There's something being discussed at league offices to help get more US kids on board. I'll see what's brewing there as well.

It was not a question of the Spits doing poorly, where they did well they very well.

My only point was it would have been nice to see them do a bit better in the immediate future.

As for any other possible insights, they are always appreciated by myself and am sure everyone else.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

I think as long as dipietro is in net which he will be I guess for almost all games they have a chance. The backups will c limited action. I guess maybe 5 games from here till end of season. Always was the dipietro show.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Dipietro and Fazio are the starters in goal
Not dressed for Kitkevicius (wrist), Larionov (upper body),Frasca (extra), Patton (extra)
Spits going with 11F and 7D.
Not dressed for Sarnia, Hough, McGregor,Guy,Hogue,and Jakovljevic

member 71782

New kids coming in after the stars leave for their first home, shakey start, to be expected.

Kids kept plugging away, seemed to be a bit more sure of themselves as the game went, that's all you can expect.

Sarnia's maturity and experience versus a bunch of kids still getting their feet wet, the result was what should be expected.

As long as the kids keep working, don't get down on themselves and learn from their mistakes they'll be fine

Reactions: randomhero4life

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
New kids coming in after the stars leave for their first home, shakey start, to be expected.

Kids kept plugging away, seemed to be a bit more sure of themselves as the game went, that's all you can expect.

Sarnia's maturity and experience versus a bunch of kids still getting their feet wet, the result was what should be expected.

As long as the kids keep working, don't get down on themselves and learn from their mistakes they'll be fine
Have to agree with you and Punch - what you see is what you get - they looked really nervous, it will take some games, maybe a few more than other teams being they are so young but if they are learning that is all you can ask. This will be the games you will see when 16 year old's play 19 year old's. For me D'amico was our best player, starting to use his body again and he seems effective with it. Having Douglas on your line helps. Thought maybe it was not the best game for Douglas but even with that he scores and makes some plays. Liked Ladd think he will fit in nicely. So the good news is all of the teams that are challenging us lost as well so we still cling to 4th. Need a at least a point tomorrow to keep Saginaw at bay.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
So far, so good. You don't want to see 5-3 losses, but this team never quit. Sarnia was just more experienced and it showed.

Out of the new guys, the only one I kind of scratched my head a bit at was Shankar. He didn't seem into the game at all. Maybe just an adjustment period, which is fine. Ladd looked nervous but steady. Morgan was very focused from what I saw. Douglas dominated and he's going to be a blast to watch over the next couple or three seasons.

If it wasn't for DiPietro, this could have been 7-3. Mikey kept them in it and that's all you can ask for. I wouldn't place a couple of them on him - at least one tip, one breakaway, and one poke in after several attempts. Only so much he can do.

One thing is for sure - this team is going to be very tight. They're there for each other and, when you've got Douglas, Shankar, and Boka, that's a good thing.

Reactions: NuSpitzFan

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
OHLTG

One new player you forgot to was
Center /Winger Cedric Schiemenz who had 2 assists in his 1st game as a Spit.
Seemed to get better as the game went on,worked well on the PP,showed nice speed and hockey sense.Nice debut overall too bad team didn't win.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Last nights game gave a peek into the future of the team in my opinion. Once the Spits got past the first period they seemed to gain focus and became much closer to the team I think we will see most nights.
Certainly the firepower and strong defensive play of last year’s Champs is long gone but this is a well coached team. I liked the way they spotted the new guys, keeping the pressure to a minimum. The veteran of the group Shankar is what he is and as the youngsters develop he will slide into the 5-6 pairing which is where I think they envisioned him playing. He adds a physical presence this young team needs.
WR has a few days to add another player O/A or not and I’m hoping for a physical type if he does. This team is about as young as it can be and a bit more toughness would be worthwhile..

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
That Douglas kid really impressed me.He has a nose for the net.this team will settle down once the jitters leave and the confidence takes over.
Nice to have Mikey as a anchor back there but lets not leave our backup whom ever they choose not get enough icetime this year and have our players ahead of the learning curve next to our young tender.Sit mikey when we play the cellar dwellers and put in Brock or Patton.Im sure Letowski and WR are already on that kind of thinking already.Just sayin.................

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Spits with a loss yesterday.
The kids tried. The crowd seen that. If they try every game then improvement will come.
Dipietro tried his best to keep the game close. Without him they would of lost by a lot more. And we know there really is not a back up.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Ya last night didn't go well. Not unexpected tho. Long as work ethic is there it's gonna be ok. Nothing being said about helping land us kids, branch is keeping it very hush hush. My sources saying mike is agreeable to go after wj's next year if he has to. Also have heard scouts are eyeing a few goalies for next years draft. High on the teams priority list. Still looking to grab an OA player for this year. Prefer D man. I am concerned about the no fighting rule you guys say has been instilled by coach. There has to be some accountability for players taking liberties with a young team. I cannot get anyone to say yes or no when asked directly about it. I agree Shank looked totally out of place hope that's temporary. Mikey is in for a lot rubber, hope he's ready for it!

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
I think were all kidding ourselves if we think the pond hockey style is going to change or go away.Its here to stay and a guy like Shankar wont be needed o this team this season.We needed an OA so we got him but I dont see anyone willing to go with him even if he wanted to.
As Mac said on the broadcast last night ..."this a development league and players ,coaches andGM's want to move up to the pro's" That pretty much sums it up.It is what it is............

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I think were all kidding ourselves if we think the pond hockey style is going to change or go away.Its here to stay and a guy like Shankar wont be needed o this team this season.We needed an OA so we got him but I dont see anyone willing to go with him even if he wanted to.
As Mac said on the broadcast last night ..."this a development league and players ,coaches andGM's want to move up to the pro's" That pretty much sums it up.It is what it is............

When you consider there have only been 139 fights in the OHL this year an average of 1 fight every 2.87 games, 8 of the bottom 10 in the league for fights reside in the Western Conference there is really no reason to have Shankar around. People can bring up physical presence but the Spits don't really need one. They need to concentrate on playing a more up tempo style that puts the opposition on their toes. They're a +3 this year accounting for PPGF/SHGA, PPGA/SHGF. They draw the fewest penalties, and commit one of the fewest which is a good thing but this strategy hasn't exactly shown up well for +-.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
When you consider there have only been 139 fights in the OHL this year an average of 1 fight every 2.87 games, 8 of the bottom 10 in the league for fights reside in the Western Conference there is really no reason to have Shankar around. People can bring up physical presence but the Spits don't really need one. They need to concentrate on playing a more up tempo style that puts the opposition on their toes. They're a +3 this year accounting for PPGF/SHGA, PPGA/SHGF. They draw the fewest penalties, and commit one of the fewest which is a good thing but this strategy hasn't exactly shown up well for +-.

I have to agree with you, even though originally I was thinking old school on why Shankar was needed to protect the rookies.But....after watching the game last night which has followed the story line of other games this season I can see that players are not thinking that kind of hockey anymore.Maybe behind the scenes they have been read the riot act about which way the game is now going if you want make the pro's etc etc.

So rethinking the Shankar aquisition says he wont be needed maybe 99% of the rest of the season.He will be a warm body but thats about it.Will be interesting to see how many times he needed the rest of the year.

Going to take a few years and new fan demographic before this type of hockey will be appreciated alot more than it is now.Scotty Bowman is smiling down as he was always of fan of the Soviet style.He would approve.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
My sources saying mike is agreeable to go after wj's next year if he has to.

This wouldn't shock me at all and, for all concerned, I hope it happens.

Also have heard scouts are eyeing a few goalies for next years draft.

We were talking about this last night; get an '02 goaltender and have Patton or Baier mentor them after DiPietro is dealt.

I am concerned about the no fighting rule you guys say has been instilled by coach. There has to be some accountability for players taking liberties with a young team. I cannot get anyone to say yes or no when asked directly about it.

From what I recall reading/hearing, the coaching staff gave the red light for fighting. That's why you see so many guys skate away right after something. It's been rare to see players even engage.

While fighting has lessened tremendously, you still need players who can stand up for the younger/smaller guys. That concept will never go away. Do I think Shankar has a chance to do that? Yeah. I'm taking last night as more of an adjustment than his true self. Douglas took a while to get going and last night he was all over the ice. We saw in Ottawa what happens when you go after a younger/smaller guy; Douglas and Shankar were the first ones in there to defend. Fighting for the sake of fighting is gone. Fighting to defend yourself or your teammates won't leave, as long as they're allowed to in some capacity.

Reactions: Teflon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->