Windows 95 turns 25 years old today

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
It is August 24th 1995 and Windows 95 is released, becoming a large milestone is home computing and essentially bringing computers into every man's home.

It had a start menu as well as a control panel. I also remember the "it is now safe to turn off the computer" screen when shutdown was complete (no auto power off) .

We had a US Robotics 33.6 dial up modem offering a whooping 33600 bits/second (equivalent of 0.03 megsbyte/second).

Happy birthday Windows 95!

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I remember first seeing it and being really impressed when I went over to a friend's house in December of 1994 and he showed me a beta of Microsoft "Chicago" (its codename) running on his computer. He must've downloaded it from a BBS. A few months later, I was running a newer beta on my computer at home. I remember how exciting it was to be running it before the general public. I was still looking forward to the final, though, and it must've been on release day 25 years ago today that my dad went down to the store to buy it... and returned with the version that came on 13 diskettes :facepalm: :laugh:. I implored him to take it back and buy the CD-ROM version, instead.

He also eventually bought Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95. Remember that? It was an enhancement pack that added themes, a few utilities and a few mediocre games. It was neat to have, but was horribly overpriced ($50).

Reactions: Desdichado93

vaspa

Sep 29, 2011
Helsinki
Best thing about Windows 95 installation cd was that it got Weezer's Buddy Holly music video on it. There was some other track, too. Anyone else remember it, some female vocalist's song maybe?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad