Wilson charging on Wennberg (no supplementary discipline)

Is this suspendable?

• Total voters

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I don't like this hit on an unsuspecting player.

That being said I don't think Wenneburg was hurt so I doubt much comes of it. But then again I didn't think Doughty would get a game. I mean I'm happy if this is the new standard, but I don't expect anything to come of this play

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I don't like this hit on an unsuspecting player.

That being said I don't think Wenneburg was hurt so I doubt much comes of it. But then again I didn't think Doughty would get a game. I mean I'm happy if this is the new standard, but I don't expect anything to come of this play
It's a little early to say he wasn't hurt; he didn't return no may have been concussed.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I haven't exactly seen a great angle, but this one looks fine to me.

There's contact to the head, but it looks like full body to body contact was made. It's not Wilson's responsibility to make sure the guy he is hitting is expecting to get hit.

su24

Sep 30, 2017
Wilson is a repeat offender, he already had a few suspensions this season, Wennberg got injured and that was a head shot. Should be at least 3 games or till the end of the series.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Guy is gonna end someone’s career if he’s not careful. Idk if this hit dispensable but it’s a hit on a guy in a very vulnerable position and I don’t like that. There are more then enough opportunities for big clean hits in the playoffs. These idiots don’t have to go out of their way for every hit.

MIN/WPG series seems tame compared to some of these games. Only remember one hit that was perhaps borderline with the Koivu(?) hit on Perreault and by definition that was legal. Although I think Dumba is gonna get someone before this series is over.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
A similarity to the Doughty hit is the opposing player has his head down facing the ice. I get he was making a play on the puck but if the NHL is going to penalize and suspend players for hitting a guy when his head down or isn't expecting to be hit then what has this league turned into. Go back to Peewee and Bantam hockey and every coach will say keep your head up at all times or you are gonna get hit. Seems that a lot of this borderline calls are because players heads are down to the ice or not looking up the ice.

It should not be a penalty, let a lone a suspension, to hit a guy when he "isn't expecting it." This goes beyond my support for Wilson and the Caps it is for the way hockey should be played.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
dirty charge on an unsuspecting player, a patented Wilson/Ovi type of hit..although the latter has stopped making those kinds nowadays but Wilson hasn't. Ban his ass for 1 game. Caps will probably play better though if that happens.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
A similarity to the Doughty hit is the opposing player has his head down facing the ice. I get he was making a play on the puck but if the NHL is going to penalize and suspend players for hitting a guy when his head down or isn't expecting to be hit then what has this league turned into. Go back to Peewee and Bantam hockey and every coach will say keep your head up at all times or you are gonna get hit. Seems that a lot of this borderline calls are because players heads are down to the ice or not looking up the ice.

It should not be a penalty, let a lone a suspension, to hit a guy when he "isn't expecting it." This goes beyond my support for Wilson and the Caps it is for the way hockey should be played.

Wow, so much wrong with this post.

Wennberg's head = not facing the ice

Way game should be played ≠ player launches himself recklessly at opposing player driving his shoulder into opposing platers's head

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Wilson has been in this situation too many times before.

I don't have a problem with hitting in hockey. But there are some players who can do it safely and effectively and there are some who can't.

Wilson has shown time and again he can't. So he should have that particular tool taken away. If Tom Wilson isn't 2nd and 3rd guessing himself every time he closes in on a player, the league hasn't sent a strong enough message.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Wilson has been in this situation too many times before.

I don't have a problem with hitting in hockey. But there are some players who can do it safely and effectively and there are some who can't.

Wilson has shown time and again he can't. So he should have that particular tool taken away.
Wow, so much wrong with this post.

Wennberg's head = not facing the ice

Way game should be played ≠ player launches himself recklessly at opposing player driving his shoulder into opposing platers's head

Tom Wilson is 6'4 220 LBS. Without much research it is safe to say that he is in the 90-95th percentile of NHL players in terms of size. When he is playing the game almost every hit that he delivers is going to be against a player that is smaller than he is. If a player puts himself in a similar situation to Wennberg by lowering his body to make a play on the puck, you are looking at a size decrease of >6 inches. Even if Wilson tries his absolute best to hit a guy square in the chest, 6 inches up is the guys nose. Now how can you penalize a player for being bigger and stronger than most other players in the league.

I get that he makes contact with the guys head, but when the opposing player adjusts his body before contact and has his head down or in the opposite direction to not see a hit coming how is it justifiable for Wilson to get penalized for a player not expecting to be hit and smaller than him.

Tom Wilson uses his size and strength to maintain a job in the NHL. He may piss some people off by how he holds his job sometimes but he is doing everything he can to play each night. You don't take away his tools because everyone else is smaller than him. The other players have to own some responsibility to know Wilson is on the ice.

Reactions: Chips

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->